1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2k civilians dead in Gaza with little attention, famous actor commits suicide whole world mourns...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OlajuwonFan81, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What you're actually saying is that we don't hate Israel enough. What you and separately the Palestinian resistance don't understand is that stable, productive societies have more to enjoy and partake in their own communities they've built and cultivated than in much of the outside world, and they're inclined to root more for similarly-structured cultures than for nihilistic agitators who gain more from the external sympathy of deadly conflict than the economic, artistic and intellectual byproducts of a well-oiled and fully cooperative civilization. Americans know that Israel is a party to the conflict, but that Palestinians are defined by it. Incidentally, since V-E day Americans have been more globally engaged than any country on the planet save Russia; but again, like any well-run civilization we know how to compartmentalize and specialize, so our International Relations PhD.s are writing treaties, our ROTC grads are telling our working-class teenagers where to drop bombs, and our adolescents and toddlers aren't throwing rocks at tanks or watching daytime puppet shows about slaughtering Jews.

2 people like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

One is the norm, somewhat. The other is the norm, somewhat, until it's someone that is rich, funny, famous and in today's world to many, seem to have it all. How mental suffering doesn't care about what you have.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Awesome illustration. Tiger doesn't even make the list. Shark always get me.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic"

This isn't just an american thing either, from Brazil to Japan the death of a person they are familiar with will always impact the masses much more than a nameless, faceless group of deaths. Especially in the middle east where people dying is sadly par for the course.

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I'm sorry for your loss and that you're infuriated that it doesn't get as much coverage as a famous actor/comedian recent death. Olaju81, what has these 2k civilians done for you, me, or anyone else for that matter? Compare that to what Robin Williams has done for this world and there's your answer.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Nobody in Gaza made me laugh.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, of course it isn't "an American thing", you just quoted Stalin.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I choose to morn Robin Williams, it's my prerogative. Bobby Brown said so.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

ITT: People arguing why people should feel sorry for the cause they want them to feel sorry about.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

To the OP and to all supports of Israel who attention w**** like this:

So what if people are paying more attention? What does that get you? Photo likes? Retweets? Instagram photos?

Nobody cares. Sorry, nobody truly cares. Don't get me wrong a good majority are appalled by the violence and pain coming out of the area, but how many people are donating money/time? Very few. The people that truly care, the people that will truly attempt to contribute to Israel/Palestine are the ones ALREADY PAYING ATTENTION. So don't come into the D&D and b**** about how people are mourning a WORLD FAMOUS actor over 2K citizens in Gaza that they have never even heard of or met. Or however many soldiers in the IDF. Or blah blah.

So what if those people paid attention to what is happening in the Middle East. They will be no more likely to do anything more than like a bunch of photos on facebook. Post a status with #FreeGaza and then ignore it until the next big news event or social media rally pops up.

#70 RedRedemption, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/97nAvTVeR6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

My response to the OP: That's because it is irrelevant. That junk doesn't affect my day to day life.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How do snails kill people? This is news to me.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Otherwise known as snail fever, schistosomiasis relates to:

From there, I guess you get organ worms as they invade the organ of choice. It's a third world thing found in developing countries; tourists beware.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not what the story refers to, but there is also a family of venomous sea snails that eat fish, and can apparently be very lethal to people. My searching indicates that they kill maybe a couple of people each year - at least that is the number of fatalities that can be documented as attributable.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I disagree.

Israel is not firing into Gaza because of their religion. They're doing it in retaliation of repeated launches from Gaza. The sad fact is, they are firing these rockets from schools, mosques, hospitals, and highly densely populated areas. Israel WARNS people that they're launching attacks. They send leaflets, radio broadcasts, CELL PHONE calls to Hamas leaders. What does Hamas do? It sends their citizens to die. What do they do with the money we give to them? They build an infrastructure of tunnels to sneak weapons into Gaza. They are not interested in peace, unless of course peace includes the death of Israel. It's platform calls for the destruction Israel.

You can argue all you want about the response strength, but the fact is Hamas is the aggressor.

On the other hand, ISIS, al Qaida, Boko Haram, etc. use Islam, corrupt Islam I should say, to justify their slaughters.

Israel doesn't wish to wipe out all the Muslims. ISIS wishes to wipe out the Christians and Shiites and use the Qur'an to justify it. Not the same.

1 person likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RIP Laauren Bacall

18. downbytheriver

Is all of this happening in Africa and SE Asia? Where else do people get malaria and ringworm s?

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The last part of the extended Seinfeld theme matches the meter of the refrain of My Prerogative.

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

You want them to go to an open strip of land and fire these rockets? They might as well shoot themselves first. Its a bunch of clowns trying to take on a world power. The onus goes on the world power not to be as as lunatic as the powerless people they are trying to defend themselves from...rather they responded with barbaric brutality.