1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Gm 1] Texans @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Still isn't.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

And that's my intention. This is silly. Everyone should take a step back, take a deep breath and go back to laughing at this:

[​IMG]

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's always something, isn't it?..... (BTW, not many people would consider a 6.7 YPA and 87 QBR "elite"...)

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Yeah, I'm agreeing with your point about the Texans making the playoffs didn't have much to do with Indi's lack of Manning. I put out Luck's stats that year in response to HillBoy's comment about how Indi had a "first rate QB".

5. Remii

Remii Member

I just call it how I see it buddy... Not saying how I see it may be right. But I'm not going to P on your head and call it rain. Besides, this place would be boring as hell if we all agreed. I just don't think people should get bent all out of shape over other people's opinions.

I'm not the rainbows and unicorns type of fan... But you're going a lil too far sir. Win or lose is still entertainment.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

So is the general consensus that the past several years of poor drafting outside the first round has left the Texans with the flotsam of the NFL, and was on full display?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There are probably some knee-jerk kind of opinions like that out there, sure. As to if that's the general consensus among Texans fans, it just depends on how highly you view them as a group.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

"Flotsam" is a bit harsh. A better description would be extranoeus or better yet inconsequential.

9. Summer Song Giver

Fair enough, it is those types that really get to me, I can't do it... can't run around screaming GO TEXANS, blindly believing they have a plan for success when I just don't see it.

Was out yesterday discussing the game and someone's response to my Texan bashing was something like, yeah well the Patriots got trounced in their game too, I just had to walk away, it was pointless at that point.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I know, I compared you to him because we have had that back and forth already and he blows you out of the water on negativity.

Difference is I respect your posts and you do so using facts and reasoning without putting anyone down.

I argue with you about negativity and stuff but I do enjoy the argument, otherwise it would be boring like you said. But not everyone here stares at stats or knows how everything is going to work out, some just enjoy the game of football and believe their team can win, and this guy is just spitting on them because (they don't know any better) and I don't respect that.

The game would be nothing without a hope to win. But I enjoy ur factual banter.. not this clown.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think what happened in 2013, both with the draft as well as the subsequent season, was a direct result of a fundamental flaw in the Texans' philosophy. With the success of 2011 and 2012, the Texans had gotten cocky. When the time came to pay the piper for 2013, the right guy was fired, but the problem was why he was the right guy to begin with.

With a few exceptions in NFL history (Belicheck, Parcells come to mind), it's usually a bad idea to concentrate power all in the hands of one individual. Division of power between a coach and a general manager--and between a coach and his assistants--is usually vital towards maintaining a healthy perspective on things. Talent evaluation and team needs are very subjective conceptions that should constantly be challenged, turned over as it were, because new ideas grow old fast in the NFL.

By 2013 Gary Kubiak was calling all the shots. Kill Rick Smith for letting the 2013 draft happen under his watch if you want, but we all know that he is an empty suit. Those guys were Kubiak's guys, and when we found out they were all scrubs then it was Kubiak who took all the blame. Good. But that doesn't address our current problem, does it?

In 2014, Bill O'Brien again has the chance (risk?) of making this team entirely his own. That draft was a complete 180 degree turnaround from what the Texans have drafted in the past. Even if it works out this year, we should be wary, like all true Americans are, of the threat of concentration of power again in the hands of a single force.

The assistant coaches seem to be experienced and charismatic enough to tell O'Brien off, so there's a plus. Notice how the Kubiak era reached an uneasy plateau in this Limbo of sorts until we brought in a defensive mind (Wade) that could properly wrest away complete control of the gameplan from Kubiak's hands.

In the end, though, the Texans are going to NEED a GM who can think on his own and challenge the evaluation of the coaching staff. If Rick Smith gets fired for the past few drafts, it will be the right move for the wrong reasons. I hope that his successor has the wherewithal to get into a shouting match with O'Brien once in a while, because that kind of dissension is going to be the only thing that saves us from groupthink and prevents this franchise from repeating the history of the 2013 season.

12. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Bill O'Brien had the Texans playing like a bunch of H***

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hogs?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hair?

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hats?

16. conquistador#11

holes? I got holes, B gap I got a hole, u'z a hole!

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's hens, guys.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Remii you gets no more arguments from me about Fitzpatrick. Wow dude is atrociously bad. So much for wishful thinking.

O'Brien offense looks just as promising as Fitzpatrick. Not Good.

If our front 7 on that defense don't put pressure on the opposing offense, the secondary will get chopped up like they did against the Cards.

Going to be a long season

20. Remii

Remii Member

Fitzpatrick sucks BUT, he's not as bad as he was Saturday night. I "THINK" he can play a lil better... I think.

Arizona is a good team. I'm expecting the Texans to put on a better performance against Atlanta.