1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our "Big 3" vs the Mavs' "Big 3"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Aug 11, 2014.

1. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I wouldn't take too seriously any ranking that puts Faried over Westbrook and Parker as a win producer - but still interesting to see that Ariza hangs pretty well with most of the league's third bananas.

2. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

I'm very well aware that having Omer would've provided 48 minutes of solid defense in the middle, it's just last year we couldn't get anything out of him for the most part because of that whole Howard fiasco. Didn't mean to discredit Lin, he was a nice combo gaurd for us coming off the bench. Hopefully Morey can find a decent replacement for him with someone like Sessions. It's an area for concern right now until we do and also at PF if Jones haven't got any better.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not only is Dallas losing Marion, but they downgraded PG from Calderon to Nelson/Felton and they lost VC off the bench who was pretty key for them hitting big shots.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes

99%(and only because most folks don't trust absolutes) likely, you are inserting one of.......

Dragic
    Bledsoe
    Rondo
    Rubio

into that last spot. THEN, let's calculate...eh?

1 person likes this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

Howard's nERD rating is only 6.0? Wtf? Noah's is like 12.

So they are saying if a team is completely average, and you replace the center position with either Howard or Noah, Howard adds 6 wins to the team and Noah adds 12?

I don't believe that for a second.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If Durant is a 27 and Lebron is a 20 this stat is broken.

7. bmd

bmd Member

Also, here is what they say about nERD rating:

"If you’re not familiar with our nERD metric, it’s an all-encompassing stat that represents how many games over .500 a league-average team would finish with the player in question as one of its starters."

Okay, so .500 would be 41-41.

Durant's rating is 27.0

That means he'd add 27 wins to that .500 team.

So 41 + 27 = 68 wins if a .500 team added Durant... LOLLLLLLLL.

No way a team goes from 41-41 to 68-14 just by adding Durant.

8. izeroi

izeroi Member

Does a combo of Ariza/Bev count as 1 to make up a big 3 lol?

9. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

This metric is silly. It says Ellis is a net negative, and says Harden is worth 8 more wins than Howard??

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If I had to guess why there is such a big disparity is that people don't realize that the way Howard wants to play on offense is a negative. Him posting up just isn't a great play for the team overall. He turns it over a ton, doesn't finish his post up attempts at a high enough clip, when he gets fouled he doesn't make free throws and rarely passes it out when he gets it. I would imagine that number would sky rocket if he would run more pick and roll.

People watched that playoff series and the takeaway I saw from a number of posters was that Dwight was our only real superstar and again it was overrating a small sample size. Harden contributes to winning at a whole different level than Howard.

Noah isn't nearly as efficient scoring wise, but he turns it over less and finds his teammates for good shots better than just about any other center. There defense is kinda close and Noah played 9 more games.

I don't think there are many who would take Noah over Dwight, but statistically I can see why there is such a difference.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Carlisle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McHale

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

^^^^Coaching helps even the metrics...

13. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

According to nERD scores, we'd still be fifth in the league.

14. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

yet the spurs won the championship last year

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Really not surprising with how they play.

I would guess that their overall team score would rate them much higher than just their top 3 guys. Their players who are 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and so on is likely higher than just about every other teams 4th-7th and so on.

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

Chandler is not part of Mav's big 3. He's a role player

17. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

[​IMG]

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

19. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Not a big fan of this nERD metric. Some of the numbers look whack and there's a huge discrepancy between some of the top tier players.

Also, you're not quite ready to say we've improved over last year???:confused:
    We definitely haven't...is this even a debate? We lost asik lin and parsons....and got ariza. As of right now, we definitely havent improved overall (maybe a bit on wing defense but thats it).

20. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

20 Lakers Bryant 9.4 Boozer -2.5 Lin 0.1 7.0

hehehehe I wonder what LOF would have to say about this.