1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 2, 2013.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I don't regret paying for IMAX 3d; it's visual spectacle of a movie and an experience I can't replicate at home even with a great home theater set up.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You can't go wrong in either case. I've seen it in both, the 3D is very good but I don't think you're missing anything by watching it in 2d either.

3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Karen Gillan, the chick who plays Nebula, is indeed pretty hot but how do you tell from her character in Guardians of the Galaxy?

4. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

It's hard to say because I saw her before Nebula but she still is a pleasing looking alien (facial features)..? She looks really tall too.

5. VanityHalfBlack

At first I thought it was Rachel Lee cook from she's all that. I didn't even know who Karen gilian was until I looked it up.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

She's very tall, very attractive, and has a very thick scottish accent.

7. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Didn't know anything about Guardians of the Galaxy going in, and I came away very pleased. I don't think I've seen any comic book movie better than this, not just Marvel. Looking forward to seeing this again.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Saw the midnight showing last night.

8.5/10

Very good movie.

I have to hand it to Marvel. They are not being shy about using their properties. I have no idea what possessed them to decide to make, of all things, Guardians of the Galaxy as a movie. It's not like it was one of their historically 'big' properties, the way Spider-Man, X-Men and Avengers were/are.

But thanks to the success of their previous movies, they made the frankly brave move to go ahead and give a relatively obscure (and, yes, even rather silly) title the full blockbuster treatment.

I for one am glad they did. This was a really fun movie, and honestly it feels like they barely scratched the surface.

Everyone was on board, you never get the sense from anyone in the cast that they were not totally invested and taking the proceedings seriously, which is often the case in the really bad comic book movies. Everyone does a fine job, it was truly an ensemble piece.

But even at 2 hours, it still felt kind of rushed to me. I know we have all of these 'origin stories' all the time, and people complain about that, but I think, of all the comic book groups out there, this one probably needs some back-story in order to make things make more sense here.

Plus it does have the unfortunate same flaw as Avengers, in that the enemy soldiers are basically faceless clones, I wasn't even sure if they were living things or just robots. Ugh. Too bland.

All in all though, very minor nit-picks..

I think it is a tremendous movie, and I do recommend it, and hopefully this new Marvel Cosmic Universe will open wayy up for us all.

1 person likes this.
  9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Is it just me or

did marvel try and capture that same epic funny scene that came with the "puny god" scene in avengers by having Groot smash all those guards back and forth?

One of the few things I would nitpick about this movie. That scene in particular felt a bit forced.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Easy way to tell who does not watch Dr Who.

They don't already know who Karen Gillan is.

[​IMG]

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Just you on that one, I thought it was awesome. Both crowds laughed hysterically.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just saw it. Loved it.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Saw it today. Great fun space action flick with good laughs. I give it a solid A. Still ranks behind Avengers and Cap 2, but better than the other Marvel Studios Flicks...which are all good, IMO, even IM3.

I had some comic nerd issues with it but they didn't detract from my enjoyment.

The Marvel movie rights for their classic 'cosmic' team, Fantastic Four, are owned by Fox. Fox also owns X-Men. Sony owns Spider-Man. Marvel had to sell off these rights back in the 1990's when they were close to bankruptcy. The only 'big' movie rights they retained was the Avengers stable of Heroes.

So in order for Marvel Studios (Marvel) to bring their entire outer space line of stories into play, they are playing up the Guardians of the Galaxy team.

14. Progs

Progs Member

1. The Avengers
    2. GOTG
    3. Winter Soldier

This was pretty good. Rocket stole the show and Batista was pretty decent surprisingly.

15. Muaz

Muaz Member

Really good movie. Marvel usually uses comedies in their movies, but stepped up in this one; haven't been this entertained in a while. The sci-finess isn't really as annoying as you think it's gonna be. Also soundtrack was really good, lots of good oldies. There are thing i would nitpick at as well, but they aren't bad go see it, was worth the $10 for me lol.

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

I saw it today and I would put GOTG ahead of any other Marvel movie, yes, including The Avengers. And that's saying alot because that was my #1 Marvel universe movie of all time by far.

1. GOTG
    2. Avengers
    3. X-Men: Days of Future Past

17. VanityHalfBlack

I thought it was way better than Avengers. Probably because I like the characters more but whatever.

1. GOTG
    2. Avengers
    3. Winter Soldier

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3tupw5ptgLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

9/10

Great movie.

Rocket River

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

are movies worth the extra money for 3-d/imax stuff?

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I watched it in IMAX 3D with a couple of friends, and I didn't think you'd be missing out on too much if you were to see it in 2D. I will say that the soundtrack being as awesome as it is (along with sci-fi visuals), seeing it in IMAX really strengthens your experience.

It's pretty tough to do an origins story for an entire team, in the 2 hours or so, of the movie. I think they should have explored the Groot-Racoon partnership, and how it came to be, for the next movie. Not sure if there's more story to Quill and Gamora that you can really tell, except for who Quill's alien dad is. And Drax's backstory should be more fleshed out as well.

I'm not sure what you could ask for, in terms of invading armies. Character development isn't really necessary for Ronan's minions, imo.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't think Batista was that great. The lines were fantastic, but the delivery just left something to be desired.

Did he have that much screen time, though? I felt like he only had two or three minutes, on the asteroid thing talking to Nebula and Ronan. Aside from being on the "TV" screen.