1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Can't speak to the Marlins, but we can ask our GM about the Cardinals since he was prominently involved in helping build their player development model......

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Altuve, Singleton, Springer, Keuchel, Oberholtzer, Grossman, Dominguez, Gonzalez, and Castro all disagree with you.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Nah, I'm good. I'll root for people the way I want to.

4. Hey Now!

I wonder if some of this - maybe just a smidge - is Luhnow continuing to scrub Wade's fingerprints from the franchise? If you're not an elite prospect (ala Springer)...

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Access denied!
    [​IMG]
    You non-muckrakers, you may pass.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

geez...i hope that's not it. if that's it, i feel even worse about this.

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Give up?

Is getting a first round pick, a comp pick, and a young OF "giving up"? Is trading someone from a very saturated position in the minors (MotR) to get a top notch corner infielder "giving up"?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade players that are part of the future, but Springer and Altuve (maybe Dallas) are the only players on this team worth building around. Maybe Singleton gets there one day, but other than that, the remainder of the players are far from irreplaceable.

We can look back at this trade in 4 years and see if Cosart is the next Happ or the next young ace and still feel like we got a fair shake if you got an every day 3 sacker and a good first round pick.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think they see it as giving up on him. I think they see it as they got a very good return. A lot of people aren't OK with teams constantly trying to improve their organization and rather sitting still and seeing how it plays out with what they have. We have an abundance of arms, so one is dealt for a guy at a need position who was just in the conversation as the number one pick a little over a year ago. This guy could easily be a part of the conversation when we're ready to be contenders.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's silly. I'm sure we could've received a nice haul for Springer or Singleton if that was the case.

10. Hey Now!

He initially seemed hell-bent in vanquishing all traces of Ed Wade; then seemingly settled down. I edited my post to qualify it a bit - I don't think it's EVERY trace of Wade; but any trace that isn't elite? He just doesn't seem to really value.

I did go and look Moran up and, wow - he really did rake in college. If his upside is, ITO, higher than Cosart's...

11. MadMax

let me be clear what i mean...giving up a guy you're pretty damn sure is a major league starting pitchers for 2 more guys who might not be major league players and a draft pick where you hope you get someone who is major league ready.

i'm tired of watching minor league baseball at MMP. i'm tired of kicking the can down the road repeatedly. and i say that as someone who invests in multi-game ticket packages.

I assumed we were at a point where we'd be flipping prospects for guys ready to play ball. Not flipping guys playing ball for more prospects we can sit around and wait on.

[​IMG]

#211 MadMax, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And our pitching coach, he came from St. Louis as well and helped with their minor league pitchers.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We should probably discuss this over a beer, but I really think you're love of Cosart is playing a big part in this. He's not an unreplaceable pitcher and this does nothing to delay their timeline for when they expect us to be competitive.

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Honestly, I think a lot of our fan base (what's left of it) has gotten so used to trades for prospects, that as long as they like the prospect, they like the deal

Regardless of what it means for the big league club

What sucks on this deal, is not only did the big league club get worse, the guys we gave up are 24 and 22 years old

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know, this is really going to torpedo this season, not to mention the entire rebuidling effort.

16. boozle222

That's fair. I buy multi game ticket packages as well, but I just didn't expect this year's team to be worth anything. It's frustrating, sure, but I really do think that this team will find someone that can replace Cosart soon enough. I think they have guys that can do it in the minors right now that they are letting season (Wojo, Folty, NiTro).

In all honesty, though, next year's draft would be huge to have the top two picks. I hate the concept of tanking, but the step of holding Cosart wasn't going to get us to a respectable place any time sooner than holding on to him. Granted, we have to watch Peacock which falls into the minor league category you mention.

Rant aside, I don't think holding on to Cosart will give us the future we want. Players like him will be assets that help us go further but are far from irreplaceable.

17. boozle222

... I want a beer.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I agree with that 100%. That is also why I am so disappointed with the whole Aiken situation. Yes, I know we get a replacement pick, but it sure seems that getting better at the big league level keeps getting further and further away

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was more their head scout/minor league coordinator... like Tim Puppura was (and succeeded) for the Astros. He wasn't really involved in the handling of the MLB team, the cultivating of the pitchers, the acquisition of reclamation projects/vets/or youngsters.

20. MadMax

That's what I'm saying. We're not giving up old guys here..or even guys at their productive peak and "selling high."

I'm just tired of it.