1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CSN Houston files for Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

They offered it once before, and the other carriers turned it down. I don't wanna piss in your cereal, but they might turn it down again. If they accept, they would have to either give in to Comcast after the trial, of feel the negative PR of pulling the channel from their customers after they got a taste of it.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So I didn't waste $55? :grin:

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The judge's decision makes some sense. If Crane is complaining about how crappy the deals Comcast was able to negotiate, might as well give him a shot at finding better ones.

4. Granville

Granville Member

What you quoted should have been no surprise to the Astros providing that they read the CSN H contract before Crane agreed to buy the team.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Isn't there an incentive for SuddenLink and other cable/satellite providers to not take CSN up on this deal? customers would being seeing an incentive to leave for Comcast.

Agreed. Not sure why the cable/satellite providers would agree to this.

#445 tallanvor, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  6. Play07

Play07 Member

@dfbarron 12-12-13

Rockets attorney Alan Gover says Rockets will take over as lead negotiator for the network.

Gover wants next status conference to be set for Jan. 7.

Gover says change making change to Rockets as lead negotiator will take place immediately if the court approves,

Looks like next status conference will be at 4 p.m. Jan. 7.

Attorneys also say that the Rockets have made a formal bid to buy network. That bid has not been submitted yet to the court

7. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

I have league pass because i bought it while living in austin. I'm at home in houston with my parents now and the games are blacked out. I know there's a way to get around it, please someone tell me how!

8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

No way around it while having anything but comcast. Only way to watch games is to try to get out of contract with directv and get comcast. Hopefully they come to a conclusion soon...

9. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

well I've heard people mention that I can get around the blackouts on my league pass broadband by using proxy servers but they all require downloads. I'm on my parents work computers and don't want to download anything to it. Is there anyway to mask my ip address without downloading software?

10. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

this a lie. He could get a VPN to simulate he is out of houston area

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bumping for CSN news on twitter today

@dfbarron: Rockets & Astros say they are “now very close” to an agreement to reorganize Houston Regional Sports Network partnership. Details to come.

@dfbarron: Astros & Rockets say agreement near on "a proposed transaction that will completely restructure and reorganize the network.”

@dfbarron: Astros and Rockets say proposed purchasers want their offer approved by Houston Regional Sports Network board by Thursday.

12. NotChandlerParsons

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Astros/Rockets have a deal with an investor to reorganize CSN in a way that would be detrimental to the interests of NBC/Comcast. They have a very short timeline to get the deal approved and Comcast intends to fight the deal.

Comcast is anti-reorganization if it comes from the teams because they are bringing in an investor that would damage Comcast's interests in the network. Allegedly.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds like we're still boned.

15. bmd

bmd Member

So what exactly does this mean?

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So how long before U-Verse and the other providers get the channel? I'm tired of comcast.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Any other cities/regions go through this with CSN?

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3 that I can think of.

Portland
    Los Angeles with Lakers and Dodgers on different networks

Sacramento Kings just landed a $600-$700 mil deal for a CSN

This is the future. It won't stop.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Portland. Blazers games haven't been fully distributed since the 2006-2007 thanks to CSN Northwest.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Off-subject, but I'm simultaneously amused and annoyed that media is in some ways harder to consume now than they were when I was growing up. Isn't that the opposite of how it should go? This weekend, I wanted to show my 4 year old son Star Wars because he's only familiar with the Lego version (a great tragedy). Netflix obviously doesn't have it, so I started an account with Blockbuster Online only to find they didn't have it either. I went to canistreamit.com which told me the only legal way to get it is to buy a DVD for $50+ on Amazon. So, I went to a pirate site and downloaded it. My son greatly enjoyed it. But, if this was 1990, I would have just driven down to the video store and rented it.