1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emergence of Terrence Jones the silver lining?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jason0215, Jul 26, 2014.

1. okeezie

okeezie Member

Especially when that PF is playing next to the best C in the game.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Even if you assume every single free throw Hansbrough took was the result of a foul finishing at the rim, that would only increase his percentage at the rim to about 62%, which would have been the 11th best percentage on the Rockets last season.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

4. Remii

Remii Member

Not only is TJ young but the kid grew up as a point guard and I believe he was recruited to Kentucky as a guard/small forward. We're talking about a kid who has only been a power forward for 2-3 years of his life which makes what he did last season even more impressive considering he's been learning how to play the position on the fly at a high level against great competition (college and pro).

I don't believe TJ will ever be a star but I do see a bunch of Paul Millsap qualities in his game.

Exactly... TJ, D-Mo, and I'm throwing my hat in for Clint Capela should be good enough. Another back up center wouldn't hurt though.

Beverley averaged 8 ppg and 1 assist during the playoffs _ Lillard averaged 25 ppg and 6 assist. Lillard shot 46% from the field and 48% from 3pt range. He was well above his regular season #'s. Not only did Beverley let Lillard run roughshod through the Rockets defense... Lillard didn't have to play defense when the Rockets had the ball. It was pretty much 4 on 5 out there. That's were the finger pointing should go.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I said DMo was a center last year and still think that.

He just needs to be put on the floor and get fully adjusted to the NBA game.

This is his chance.

DD

6. basketballholic

No, not comparing T_ones to DMo. That's like comparing Rafer Alston to Luther Head. So you guys that spent a couple pages of text doing that are just wasting bandwidth.

7. Remii

Remii Member

I feel the same way about Morey and his calculator GM skills as you do about TJ. So I understand your frustration. Wake me up when a moneyball guy wins a chip.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Basketballholic doesn't like Jones period so trying to debate or convince him is pointless. You can show him Jones's improvement from his rookie campaign and that joker will still dispute it.

Jones will be a better player this coming season. I'm pretty sure he is working extremely hard to improve his outside shoot and his defensive woes.

9. carib

carib Member

We need someone to coach TJones and Dmo good defense, cause there offensive games are getting better.

10. carib

carib Member

What I mean is they need good coaching on the defensive end, we don't have to worry too much about their offense because its getting better with each year.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to think of someone in the NBA that takes as many 3's as Jones with a jumper that is as broken as TJ's. I genuinely feel the need to avert my eyes when I see him start his motion to shoot.

Not trying to troll, but I think if you are hoping he's ever going to be an efficient deep shooter, you are mistaken. Credit to him for hitting as much as he does with that shot. And by the time you've reached the NBA, nobody's going to completely tear it down and rebuild it right.

that, and the limitations that his body size/shape place on his defensive potential are the two choke points on his upside that I see.

1 person likes this.
  12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The only place where Jones needs to emerge is on the bench. Sure he has potential, but with DH in his 11th year, potential is meaningless for this team. If Jones is starting again it will show me that Morey isn't serious about winning big this year, just like last year. That opinion would change if a stud is acquired in the backcourt prior to the start of the season.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, just taking into account his offensive game, I see a lot of Josh Smith.

14. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

I don't care what anyone thinks, Terrence Jones is gonna be a Beast for our Houston Rockets. Starting this season.

15. basketballholic

MKG is similiar in level of distortion. Not the same mechanically. But the same degree of mechanical failure requiring a similar reconstruction.

16. basketballholic

Glad you're just referring to offense here.

17. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

You got it all Right! Jones is still developing as a player. Most fans are stupid/can't realize that young players develop.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Oh come on, you're acting like he's one of those volume 3 point scrubs like Smith or Westbrook. Guys that can't shoot them to save their lives, but jack them up endlessly. Whereas Jones might take 1 or 2 a game. Jones ends up with such high win shares/PER etc, because those stats tell the tale of how well you stick within your own boundaries if you're a role player.

19. traveler

traveler Member

ok

I watch a lot of BB. I can safely say that the high powered offense is going to spread.

The Heat had had another rim protector like an Asik and they would have defeated Spurs. The whole series it the Heat lack of another big defensive player killed them. Howard has to get help inside or we are one and done again.

20. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

both perimeter and interior defense were problems. overall team defense needs to improve if the rockets want to go deep in the playoffs.