1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Targets for our TPE, MLE and BAE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

MLE Durant
    BAE Love
    TPE Lebron

Go,go,go! We r champeen

Just as reasonable ..... [​IMG]

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, Cleveland (most likely) structured the deal(s) with Utah while they were under the cap. If a team is under the cap immediately following a particular trade, then the player(s) acquired in that trade can be immediately aggregated with other player salaries in subsequent trades without having to endure a 60-day waiting period.

The trades likely happened as separate deals in the following order:

Trade 1: Carrick Felix for John Lucas III ($1.6 million non-guaranteed) - Cavs still under the cap

Trade 2: Malcolm Thomas ($948,163 non-guaranteed) into the Cavs cap space - Cavs still under the cap

Trade 3: Erick Murphy ($816,482 non-guaranteed) via the Minimum Salary Exception - Cavs then exceeded the cap

The end result of these trades (if so timed) is that Lucas and Thomas can be aggregated immediately but that Murphy cannot be aggregated for 60 days. (As an aside, since Murphy is still on his rookie deal signed with Chicago as a second round pick, his salary is slightly beneficial in luxury tax calculations if the Cavs end up nearing/exceeding the luxury tax threshold following a Love mega-trade where they take back other salaries; so the Cavs might want to hold onto Murphy anyway.)

Bottom line: A Love-Wiggins trade likely can involve Lucas and Thomas as soon as Wiggins can be traded.

Hope this was helpful.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

It was. So has Miller not signed to the room exception yet? I guess not.

Thanks.

4. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

With the Mavs all out of money....Which team does marion go to?

I think theres a big possibility if we don't give him the MLE he takes the room exception and goes to the Bulls.

I personally don't think Marion is worth 5Mill, but giving him a portion of the MLE ~3mill 2yrs would be fair.

He's one of our last chances for some much needed solid depth off the bench.

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

FYI, the Bulls already gave their Room Exception to Kirk Hinrich.

6. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

What would be a great deal would be giving him the full MLE... 2 yr 10mill deal.

With a front loaded contract...The first year pays him 6mill and the second year with a team option or partially Guaranteed.

7. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Ooops, in that case...Im not sure what his options are.

If he wants to stay competitive I'm not sure which competitive teams still have their Room exception available.

I wouldn't think any team would be willing to give him the full MLE at this point.

Would this be a viable option?

"giving him the full MLE... 2 yr 10mill deal.

With a front loaded contract...The first year pays him 6mill and the second year with a team option or partially Guaranteed."

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

What is Shawn Marion waiting for? Thinking about retirement?

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Do the Spurs have a full MLE to utilize at this time? Marion would be a good fit with them.

10. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Waiting on Morey to finish his other deals. I would suspect there is already a deal in place but Morey has just asked him to wait for something else to get done.

1 person likes this.
  11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The most the Rockets can offer on a two-year deal is $9.8 million, and I don't see them giving much of a signing bonus.

I think they'd offer a similar deal, though, with the $4.8 million remaining of this year's MLE being paid, and a (mostly) non-guaranteed second year. I don't think the Rockets would want to guarantee that second year at all, though.

12. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Shawn Marion has a lot of pride. He's probably waiting for a team that will offer him a legit shot at competing for the starting job. He won't be willing to join a team where he has no shot at cracking the starting lineup.

1 person likes this.
  13. basketballholic

According to Pincus, they signed Harris first, and since he got a 3 year deal, that had to have been through cap space. If so, that means that both Thomas and Murphy were "over the cap" minimum salary trade exceptions, which means they cannot be merged for 60 days. But Harris is available in 30 days along with Wiggins.

* So.....if the trade is indeed Love, Martin, and Barea for Wiggins, Bennett, Tristan Thompson....then the trade would most likely involve John Lucas and Matthew Dellavedova and could take place in 30 days.

** But...if the trade doesn't include Tristan Thompson and Minnesota is requiring Cleveland to take back both Martin and Barea along with Love...then CLE can accomplish that with Wiggins, Bennett, Lucas, Dellevadova, Harris, and Haywood.

So if either * or ** is true this could be why we are hearing rumors that CLE is looking for a big.

Bottom line is:

1. Trade can be done in 30 days.

2. It is basically Wiggins for Love with Minny getting cap relief.

Bennett is mediocre at best. The draft picks will be mediocre at best. Minnesota is getting Wiggins and cap relief. I think that deal can be beat. Even if CLE puts Tristan Thompson in the deal...which it looks like they'll have to.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

What kind of offers are the Rockets throwing at Llull?

If a player like Brad Newley can get his own signature Toyota car in Spain...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MkZBmB_Fquo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The opportunities that would exist for Llull there surely means Morey has to throw most of that MLE money towards Llull to even to begin to get serious?

15. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

If the Cavs are smart, they would trade away Tristan Thompson. He has the same agent as lebron. You do not want to be the one who pays TT.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think a legit target for the TE would be bismack biyombo.

He is an expiring rookie contract (almost 3.9mill) who is a solid backup center defensively. Charlotte im sure would like to keep him for their bench, but they have cody zeller waiting in the bench for more playing time. Plus we could give them an asset for their troubles. Most likely just a 2nd or euro stash.

I dont think it would be until around the february trade deadline but still something i see morey targetting.

Also, bima,bbholic or anyone else in the know. Can we acquire multiple players in the TE? (Say bizmack and gary neal). Also can it be used in multiple trades?(say bizmack one day, than delfino the next day). Thanks in advance.

17. basketballholic

Yes, can acquire multiple players and on different days.

We should be targeting Cody Zeller for trade (not Biyombo). The TPE is too important an asset to blow it on backup undersized centers.

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q83

My understanding is it acts like a normal players salary of being able to being back 150% of the lin TPE as it's between the bracket 0-9.8mill and can be used to bring back as many or as few players as possible.

I also don't think bringing back someone on the last year of his rookie deal as a move the rockets would make as it would force us to either
    A) make us give him a contract in the say 5-10 mill range tying up valuable cap IE bye bye 3rd superstar
    Or
    B) we let him walk for nothin ala chandler style and we waste our TPE.

Look for the TPE (IMO) to either be used to facilitate a multi team trade having a lot of players moved from multiple teams giving us more assets, a trade in a big superstar or doing what denvor did with thiers and hold onto it and use it when teams are having a fire sale

19. basketballholic

Can't bring back 150%. The TPE is the TPE. You can go $100,000 to acquire a player or players. So, the Lin TPE, which is $8,374,646 can be used to bring back as much as $8,474,646 in salary.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I dont see the TE beig that huge an asset. I see it being used to gain decent bench/role players that are either expiring, are NGed next year or have a TO next year.

I understand your lust for cody BBHolic but i dont thinks he attainable, atleast not for the price that it would be beneficial.

IMO i see morey targetting 2-3 players with friendly contracts that could be used next year likely around the draft and/or free agency.

I dont know the entire list of serviceable role players who have a TO next year or NG or partial gaurantee. Im also at work and cant look it up. But delfino like players are who i think morey will be targetting.

Also, i like bismack as a bench player. Even wihout usig the TE i would like to see morey target him at the deadline for a likely cheap price. Dorsey/dmo just isnt good enough depth/insurance beiind dwight.

Btw, thanks to both for the help. Need to spread before i can rep either of you.

1 person likes this.