1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Canaan is the key to saving the Houston Rockets' offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown's Finest, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Canaan is about to show the world he's on Kyle Lowry level!

2. andersongo

andersongo Member

Canaan does not seem to be ready. The Roxs will be better off going after a solid vet like Nelson or Session (No, Ish does not count). Nick Johnson can provide much needed back-up minutes at SG. Although Morey evidently failed this offseason, all is not lost as Roxs can target a guy like Milsap next year or Josh Smith (if he has somehow grown a brain by then). But I still feel that the biggest things that can push this team over the hump are:

(1) Harden finally making good on his exit interview promises about improving his game beyond Corey Maggette-lite.
    (2) Morey finally living up to his sabermetrics fame and firing McSuccess. It's a total travesty that this guy still has a job.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ummm... last season we had Canaan and Lin. We had DMo and Asik. If Canaan is replacing Lin, who is replacing Canaan? If DMo is replacing Asik, who is replacing DMo? (For those who are going to answer Capela and Johnson, don't you see how this is a whole lot of running in place? We're supposed to get better each offseason, not replace defections with draft picks, exception FAs and d-league recruits.)

This offseason, I keep remembering HeyP's sunshine asses thread from 2001. Back then, it wasn't LOFs vs LOHs, it was the guys who wanted to blow sunshine up your ass versus the cynics, or so-called 'realists.' Looking back, the realists won that one.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd guess that Johnson this year >>> Canaan last year. While I agree we need to be getting better each offseason and running in place isn't ideal, I'd still prefer running in place with flexibility over running in place with none.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]
    Nah, I'm kidding. I think Canaan is destined to be the next solid Morey PG find.

6. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

7. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It's also not beyond the realm of possibility that these guys are average or below average next year. Which possibility do you think is more likely? Both are rolls of the dice and not high probability ones.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Canaan is about to show the world he is the next Damian Lillard!

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

THIS^^^ I agree with you completely. We really need a PG that at least has been solid recently and you are right Ish does not count at all in that. We need a serious piece + some solid pieces to move forward versus last year. So far we've moved backward.

10. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

For this team to succeed mchale has to do a much better job, especially at having good rotations. Harden and howard are the only two guys that can create a shot, so one MUST be on the floor at al times.

As shown by the spurs, surrounding your stars with multiple shooters can be absolutely deadly. With cannan daniels and Ariza essentially replacing parsons lin and the revolving door at backup wing, our 3pt % should sky rocket

11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

What a depressing headline

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I guess we've found our new whipping boy. Surprise, surprise, it's the backup PG

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Canaan is destined to be traded to the Suns.

The group of ancient people who called themselves "Canaanites" were known to the Ancient Greeks as "Phoenicians." Meanwhile, modern day residents of Phoenix, Arizona call themselves "Phoenicians."

As such, Isaiah Canaan is doomed to become a Phoenician.

14. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I don't think we have taken a step backwards at all. If anything we will be better just because of defense. Asik was replaced with Dorsey. Dorsey might not be the rebounder that Asik is but he can defend the paint and spell Dwight. Parsons was replaced by Ariza who is a MUCH BETTER defender than Parsons can ever dream of being. Trevor can hit the three and does move very well without the ball like Chandler. Lin's productivity will be replaced by both Canaan and Daniels. Two guys who are lights out shooters and will provide a spark off the bench for us. Daniels has proven he is an elite shooter and Canaan is a four year college player. I don't see this offseason in the same darkness as some of you. Yeah we lost some key pieces but we will be better defensively next year and everyone has already written us off. I see our guys coming into this years training camp with huge chips on their shoulders.

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Not that impressed by Cannan, why, because he's too cool for school on the defensive end and that was summer league. I would prefer that Nicky J, develop a PG handle and install him as Pbev's backup. Cannan is a foul trouble and spot duty, maybe 10 minutes a game type with the right people on the floor. Definitely not a championship team backup point, think like Patty Mills who would give him the blues!!

16. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Really? This offseason is a complete disaster. Went from championship dreams to Canaan saving the rockets. IMO, Ariza is an upgrade for parsons but will take a year at least to develop chemistry.

17. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I'm with you, but I see njo as more of the replacement for Lin ....I think Johnson will help us so much, even if he isn't close to realizing his full potential in his rookie year. I think Canaan will get less minutes than Johnson but still be a valuable contributor in ~ 10-12 mpg. Another benefit of having a guy like Johnson is that it will hopefully reduce hardens minutes to the point where he can have the energy levels to get much closer to being an average defender.

18. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Don't get back on the bandwagon when we are kicking butt and taking names next season. Just stay off and don't get back on.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You forgot that Donatas Motiejunas = Dirk Nowitski.

20. archinkent

archinkent Member

lol Judging a player on his performance in pre-season games is one thing, but judging him on on summer league games is just a whole new level of absurdity.