1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broussard: Suns & Bledsoe $32M apart in negotiatons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There's a small part of me that would find great amusement in the lakers acquiring Bledsoe for the hernias it would give the LoF's

2. Aleron

Needs the nba to change the rules too, you can't do double S&T's

1 These teams are free to send players to other teams in sign-and-trade transactions, or to receive players in sign-and-trade transactions who weren't signed-and-traded themselves. Also, the restriction applies only to the sign-and-trade transaction itself -- teams are free to acquire players who had been signed-and-traded in earlier transactions.

Fine print is always a b****

#102 Aleron, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  3. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

... who do you play at the 4?

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That only applies to taxpaying teams that have ued their Taxpayer MLE. What you quoted is a footnote to the below statement.

•Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q91

Since that doesn't apply to either Detroit or Phoenix then they'd could sign and trade Bledsoe and Monroe for each other. I'm not sure if Phoenix would be that enthused about paying Monroe the max but it is certainly legal.

1 person likes this.
  5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

An offer sheet for a restricted free agent must be for at least 2 years (not including option years).

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That footnote only applies to teams that have used the Tax Payer MLE or teams that are above the Tax Apron. I don't see anything restricting other teams from doing a double sign and trade. Detroit and Phoenix are both well below the Tax Apron and neither have used the Tax Payer MLE so it appears to me that they are each free to sign Bledsoe and Monroe in a S&T deal that sends them to the opposite teams.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q91

7. s.b713

s.b713 Member

What happens if a RFA(Bledsoe for example) and a team(Suns) cannot come to an agreement and nobody extends a qualifying offer to the RFA? He does not play next year?

8. Aleron

He can take his qualifying offer for 1 year and become an UFA next off season

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

That's probably his best choice at this point. I don't see any team giving him what he asks for right now. Anything teams offer right now will probably be matched by Phx. Which would lock him up for awhile making less than he wants. He should just take the QO, prove he's a max guy, then get Mac money next year.

10. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

And if he gets hurt or can't get a contract significantly larger than the one he can get this year? He's lost a ton of money. It's a huge risk for guys and that's why it is incredibly rare for them to do it.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That would really mess up the Suns if Bledsoe takes his QO. If Bledsoe doesn't sign long term, I don't think they are letting Dragic go this year. Then they'd have a boatload of cash tied up with 4 PGs. I guess they'd be playing a lot of small ball in the backcourt.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

With his injury history, it might not be wise for him to take a QO. He needs to take all the money he can get right now.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

History does suggest that would be a risk. But until his home (new or old) becomes more stable, I don't think we're getting a PG.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

There's no way a player with Bledsoe's injury history is going to sign a QO. He will eventually sign a deal.....either in a SnT or outright with the Suns.

I think PHX is just trying to squeeze him and/or find out what his market is. My guess is they resign him to a 4 year contract just short of the max....a 4 year/$55 million deal.

As we've gone through before, the Rocket's currently do not have enough salary to trade for Bledsoe. These are the only currently tradeable contracts we have on the books right now (excl Harden and Howard).

$1.6 - TJones
    $1.5 - DMo
    $1.3 - Powell
    $0.9 - Beverley
    $0.8 - Canaan
    $0.8 - Covington

Gee and Hopson (combined $4.5 million) cannot be (re)traded until September 15th. Daniels, Ish, Dorsey, Ariza, and Adrien cannot be traded until December 15th. By either of these dates, Bledsoe will have either signed with PHX or been traded.

15. Mattj

Mattj Member

I'm hearing Lakers and Suns are discussing a swap of Randle and the #1 pick the Rockets owe the Lakers for Bledsoe since he and his agent won't come off their max contract stance.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's far more likely that Bledsoe stays there, and The Dragon gets moved, but that's another topic, more of less.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'd say it's on topic, for a thread about Bledsoe.

Why do you think the Suns would prefer an oft-injured Bledsoe for the now-emerged Dragic? I don't get it.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Well, that would put to bed the return of the Dragon trade speculation.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I really really like Eric Bledsoe...

But, this strikes me as another "please Kobe" move... which is fine, given where they are, to the extent they can do things to "win now" they probably should... but they are situation they are in now because of Kobe. Took so much money, and nobody wants to play with him.

Rockets pick isn't that worthwhile.

But Randle for Bledsoe might be a win for the Suns, long-term. Might not if Randle is always injured or doesn't develop... but he strikes me as a guy, if healthy, who becomes a Zach Randolph like solid 20/10 guy for a long time.

Also, Randle signed recently, so Lakers would have to wait a month to complete trade.

Also also... the Lakers HAD money... why to just try to sign him outright. Yes, the Suns might have matched that full max offer, but I'd rather try that and have Bledsoe AND Randle.

Basically, Julius Randle is the prize for the worst season in forever for the Lakers. Seems odd that they'd flip him so fast.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Bledsoe
    Kobe
    Wesley
    Kelly/?
    Hill/?

Who will be the back up power forward and center for LA