1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Stephenson signs with Hornets - 3 yrs / 27 m

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, Jul 16, 2014.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Add to that, his own teammates voiced dissatisfaction at his antics during the playoffs. You would see guys glance at him and then roll their eyes. There was tension surrounding Stephenson.

If a team believes they can keep him focused and emotionally level, then he is well worth the risk. If a team is concerned about their locker room, then maybe not.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol 9M for the second coming of JR Smith. Look if he was really worth it thre Pacers would've locked him up. Sure he has talent but almost every generation we have a talented nut job from Rodman to Stabury to Artest to JR Smith to now this dude. In almost every time the player proves to be a distraction and not worth it except for maybe 1 season. Meh, if the pacers don't want him I don't think he's worth 9M.

3. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

The Pacers offered him a five (5) year deal. They were absolutely trying to lock him up. They just weren't wanting to offer him a max salary or develop him for two or three years to let him walk when he's worth his most. But saying they weren't willing to lock him up long term is pretty much the inverse of reality.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pacers signed Rodney Stuckey to a one-year deal

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sweet deal for the Hornets. That's a moneyball deal right there.

6. pacertom

pacertom Member

dang, we need shooting, not a SG shooting 28% from 3 for a career

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, well if there is any good news, it's for the vet minimum.

8. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Gets his chance to prove he's a star. Have 2-3 good years, he's getting a max deal when the new salary cap comes around.

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'd much rather have signed Lance Stephenson for 3/27 than Parsons 3/46 or Ariza 4/32.

Stephenson is only 23 Yet he's arguably equal or better defensively than 29 yr old Ariza, arguably equal or better offensively than 25 yr old Parsons. He is definitely the most versatile of the three, the best two way player of the three, as well as the better rebounder and playmaker.

Only downside is - he might be nuts! But a long with maturity & growth with age, a team with Carlise Dirk, Cuban and Tyson might be able to get through to him. If Celtic legend Larry Bird could almost control him from the front office, perhaps fellow Celtic Legend Mchale the coach could have also! (Okay that's a long shot lol)

10. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I loved this pick up for the Hornets thats exactly what they need for the team, everything that Lance brings will only help the Hornets IMO.I really wished Morey made an offer for him tho,this is the kind of deal Morey would do. Hope he performs well for em.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd take Stephenson too. Assuming there are no weird trade restrictions, that deal is super tradeable. Unless he bombs. I could totally see him bombing under McHale. But he would probably be fine. His PPG would be inflated in this system.

12. pacertom

pacertom Member

I can understand this more when considering the Pacers were escalating the salary

Indiana's offer vs Charlotte's offer, purely by cash.

2014/2015...........Indiana $7.640 million, Charlotte $9.000 million....difference of $1.360 million
    2015/2016...........Indiana $8.213 million, Charlotte $9.000 million....difference of $787,000
    2016/2017...........Indiana $8.829 million, Charlotte $9.500 million....difference of $671,000
    2017/2018...........Indiana $9.491 million+, Charlotte $0 FREE AGENT (Lance's mind: 15 million)
    2018/2019...........Indiana $10.203 million+, Charlotte $0 FREE AGENT (Lance's mind: 16 million)

so Lance gets 2.8 M more over 3 years,

and in his mind anyway, 11 M more over the last 2 years

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

stephenson is one that will get exposed this season..again he is not that good

14. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Stephenson left because his teammates are beta and didnt back him up. Those arent real teammates....Hornets have a good squad.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wow, I didn't realize he was only 23. I thought he was like, close to 30 for some reason.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

exactly....hornets offered him a HIGHER annual salary than Indiana. The salary cap will go up after the next tv contract. If Lance gets anything more than a 2 year 17 mill deal 2 years from now, this is a win for him.

Barring a complete self destruction, hard to see how he won't be able to get that kind of money.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

But the third year is a team option, so he's not guaranteed any money that year either. I can understand that he thinks he's worth more and can get max on his next deal, but he simply doesn't have much security. What happens if he tears an ACL in year 2? Brandon Roy was the next great shooting guard and was extremely lucky to lock up his max extension as Portland already knew of his knee issues. Even the best need to worry about the future.

18. MaoKhan

MaoKhan Member

Hornets lookin scary :eek:

19. Remii

Remii Member

Good pickup for Charlotte. They may be battling for one of the top spots in the east this year.