1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin McHale Vegas Summer League Interview - "Flexibility doesn't score"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Jul 15, 2014.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

It just goes to show you our fans are the most delusional as they come. Our GM hasn't won anything, yet he's considered a "genius" and "the best in the NBA" by our fans. Their reasoning? Because he got Howard & Harden lol. Like getting Howard & Harden is somehow greater than winning championships. Crazy. Mchale sucks, but he speaks truth. What's the use of flexibility if your using it on Joey Dorsey & Euro trash. The Mavs & Trailblazer couldn't be happier with Daryl Morey this offseason:rolleyes:

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is typical of the difference in perspectives between coach and GM. The GM looks at the long term picture.

The coach just wants to win. It's actually the same with players too. They just want to have a good team NOW. They don't care if the team is better two years from now because they might very well not be on the team then, especially with Morey at the helm.

3. SemisolidSnake

I can't begin to understand the total nuances of all the Rockets' trade strategies (and very much respect those who can), but having watched the last season on TV for just about every game, I think Morey ought to get a little credit just for being able to move Lin and Asik out...period. Neither of them had particularly great trade value, especially considering their poison contracts. Lin wasn't improving at any even a slight rate towards being worth $15 mil, which he'd have never gotten to. Asik can defend close to the basket but is a useless scorer, so the other team has a power play going on offense when he's on the court. Asik, being a big hulking center had a little more value, but for the most part, we were always going to eat the cost of those two, and freeing up cap space was going to be the only reward.

That's just how it is sometimes in business: you don't get back even close to what you pay for an employee, and it's simply best to get them out of there at whatever loss you take. They're gone now, and while it may sound callous, it does remove a couple albatrosses hanging around the Rockets' neck, even if that's basically all it does. The worst decision Morey could have made would have been to keep either of them for the upcoming season, in my opinion. They're nice guys, but they're all millionaires, it's simply business where you have to weigh costs, and Chandler needs to learn that lesson as well before he gives any more interviews.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

GM's have to explain win loss record AND bottom line to the owner. Coach only has win loss record behind him. If a coach gets fired but has a decent W/L record, he'll get another job easily. If a GM wins but is constantly in the luxury tax, teams might pass on him. The GM path is a harder one walk down, that's why McHale is no longer a GM.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The best way to attract FAs, if Morey is reading this thread, is to hire a good coach and make some noise in the playoffs.

I have to say our dumb play in the POR series really hurt our chances to get better. LMA going video mode on us. Headlines! Lillard hitting that last sec triple. Headlines, again. Embarrassing.

So if you're asking yourself why we weren't able to recruit, that was the lasting image the world had of us.

McHale is not going to cut it. Don't make us suffer one more year; do something already. Get a new head coach!

6. flusched

flusched Member

evaluating talent & chemistry & continuity

McHale showed that he appreciates continuity and chemistry. That's something a coach is better able to evaluate than a GM. I'm surprised that a GM would not be consulting with the coach before making player changes. To me that is a disfunctional organization.

7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

They need to have training camps for coaches too.

8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

The coach and the GM are not in synch. It was the same way when Adelman was here. It doesn't matter who the Rockets get to coach because ultimately it's Morey who is making the roster decisions.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed,

But McHale knew exactly what he was getting himself into when he took the job.

10. steady

steady Member

I agree. As annoying as Cuban is, he is not stupid. And when he made that implicit dig at the Rockets' coaching staff on the eve of free agency, he knew what he was doing.

I like Kevin McHale, wouldn't mind having a beer with him, think he knows basketball. But he doesn't have the skills or personality to be a head coach.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Flexibility doesn't score...but you know who does? Whoever is being guarded by James Harden

12. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

something random, can someone list the number of players that never got along with McHale or Rocket's organization?

Lowry is the only one I can think of, and Chandler supposedly didn't like how the organization treated him.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So...we're waiting until someone like Durant becomes a FA right? I wonder if any other teams would be doing the same (rhetorical question)? So since we basically will be in competition with 29 other teams, 1 of which can offer more money. So what would cause him to pick us over the other 29 teams? Money seems to be a big factor so we are out on that front. Friends would be a factor but are Harden and Durant really that close that he'd leave his home and money for him? And winning would be another factor. But do we really expect to draw top shelf FAs on a team treading water with 2 stars in the West?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post of the thread.

15. MisterMister

MisterMister Member

I'm with the continuity and chemistry,but McHale really doesn't believe in trying to develope young players.He plays favorites, (Parsons and Dragic),TJ,Lowry,Lin,Dmo and Troy always seemed to me to be on very,very short leash.I get the feeling its something that Lowry picked up on also,if he made a mistake Mchale was all over him,but the other two it was no big deal never benched either,once they were they were starters they were allowed to grow and make mistakes never having to worry or feel the pressure that Lin and TJ felt. And of all the moves and trades Morey has made during Mchale's time here,the Parsons and Dragic moves really seemed to really get under his skin.He tried to force feed the twin tower lineup when everyone but him knew it was doomed before last pre-season.And him crying about not having J Lin,come on Kev,at times watching you when you when you called Lin into the game you had this look like someone was sticking pins in your eyes.I think Lin is going to blowup big time without you riding him like a government mule.He seemed like a player playing scared.In game six he was dribbling strait toward you and in your line of sight if I recall and you could have called a timeout,but you just stood there like a deer in headlights.Maybe you trying to go Jason on Morey on the DL with your slick little remarks.Maybe Gm is your thing,but the Rockets Pay you to coach and you ain't doing such a good job.Every year your teams seem to always meltdown when its winning time (seeding,playoff spot and actual playoff games).Hate to make this read any longer but the more I think about the free-agent saga,didn't Bosh talk to McHale before he made his decision.And also did he complain when we trying to sign the big name free-agents and now he has second thoughts because his favorite son is gone.You know the one who is playing for the best coach and owner in the NBA now.

16. houtown

houtown Member

Mchale is making excuses now so when things dont turn out the way he wants he could say he told you so. He is smart in protecting his ego in this way. And he played faves with ppat also, which drove me crazy.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Why???????

Holy crap. McHale says just about everything this board has been PMS'ing about and people find fault for it. Just put "fire McHale" in your sig and quit mucking up the board with your hormones.

You can't even like your own favorite basketball team. What is wrong with you unhappy people?

18. houtown

houtown Member

LOL i like the Rockets hence why i post on these forums qith my opinions of the team. Although i am not a fan a Mchale as a coach doesn't mean i don't respect his opinion. Its my opinion on his. Just because your a fan of a team doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do and stay idle, Homers. I don't believe in that and I didn't say to fire Mchale either. SO maybe the person that has to chill and control their hormones is you.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

eh?, morey wants to save cap room for 2015 free agency. mchale wants to sign vets to win now like any other coach in the league would. that's all there is to it.

20. houtown

houtown Member

Fair enough. Maybe that is all there is.