1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.Com] Rockets Back to Spinning Wheels Again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Jul 14, 2014.

1. CertifiedTroll

I am fine with our situation. Before this free agency, teams were afraid to get "Moreyed" in a trade. Now teams will get lulled into thinking they have the upper hand. I expect a different roster after the NBA trade deadline. A better roster.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

You know what, I've changed my mind I'm glad Morey didn't match Parsons, I'm glad he's not settling for mediocrity.

If Morey would have committed to the likes of Scola, Landry, Lowry , etc.. we wouldn't have Harden and we wouldn't have Dwight. Is that plain and ****ing simple.

Morey truly believes you need a three star core in order to reach the ultimate goal of winning a championship. Therefor we cannot commit to role players (that includes Parsons) until our core is intact.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It is the truth.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

True, but when they find a complimentary piece that works, they hang onto it. Bowen was there 8 years. Horry was there 5 years. Bonner's been there 8 years. Barry was there 4 years. Not surprisingly, they won 3 titles in 5 years thanks to all that continuity.

The Rockets had a pretty solid trio with Howard, Harden, and Parsons. Was it on the level of what Boston or Miami had with their Big Threes? No. But it didn't need to be considering those teams aren't in existence anymore and the Spurs have Father Time looking over their shoulders. And while OKC has a pretty impressive Big Three of their own, that franchise could be in turmoil in a few years if Durant and/or Westbrook bolts.

Call me conservative or timid, but I just feel that keeping our Not-So-Big Three together and putting the best group of complimentary pieces around them was a sound approach to going for a title. It may not have worked, but it made a lot more sense than intentionally holding back with this roster just to maintain flexibility for adding another star player who may never materialize.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't be sensitive. Read it and be done with it. It is Blinebury Franny

6. Fantasma Negro

Morey has made me now dread the trade deadline. Players don't seem to like him. He needs a smooth talking sidekick that has nba pedigree. Maybe a Rudy T or Robert Horry

7. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Winning brings continuity.

8. downbytheriver

Yeah, the people angry about losing Parsons don't get basketball. He's not a winner or a big contributor towards it - and an especially bad fit next to Harden. ARIZA IS A MUCH, MUCH BETTER FIT. Morey absolutely made the right decision. I didn't see PBev, Harden or Howard in any trade talks. Bev is a 6th man but the team knows he's a winner. Lin is a 13th man and a loser, so they had to ship off a 1st rounder with an expiring contract just to get rid of him.

You don't build family with INFERIOR parts , when you can choose family. Who said Morey is done dealing? Who said there are no PG's willing to play with Harden and Howard? I never for once thought of a big 3 of Harden-Howard-Parsons, that is an absolute joke especially committing that money to Parsons.
    Wish the fans were smarter or knew more about basketball, but since they don't, we just have to WEAR THE tIDE at the moment. Let the waves crash in... soon they'll be exhausted and will go back out to sea. ATM, I am ecstatic that Dallas is deluding themselves they can be taken seriously after giving max money to Parsons.

CAN'T YOU GUYS SEE? IT'S BASICALLY A LIN CONTRACT - EXCEPT CHANDLER IS MARKETED TOWARDS THE WHITE 30 YR OLD MILLIONAIRES IN DALLAS. Cuban KNOWS this and is using flashy numbers to build some kind of hope there.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I have a policy against clicking on Blinebury links about the Rockets. Oddly I sniffed that one out within two paragraphs without being told it was one, so thanks for not making me click it.

I admit I am personally reaching a point of frustration with Morey where I wish he would lock in the damn team already and build something long-term, but every offseason until this one the core has definitely been wrong.

All that leaves for debate was whether this was the year to dig in, expand the payroll and bet everything on winning in the next 5 years. Whether you think it was or not (I kind of do, hence my frustration), you have to admit that if Bosh had come, it would have removed all doubt.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The Parsons RFA stuff was stupid. He really had no reason to go that route.
    Fishing for superstars, we couldn't have predicted what would happen. But the Parsons RFA route was stupid then and its definitely stupid now.

Also in regards to Blinebury:
    [​IMG]

This is the face of a loser. **** this guy.

11. downbytheriver

Plenty of options out there - many of whom could fall into the Rockets lap like Harden did. frightening to see the level of desperation from fans on here because the options right in FRONT OF US didn't work out .

Don't rule out the Dragic/Bledsoe/Rondo/Love possibilities.

12. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

All of those guys have no chance of someone throwing max money at them and if they did, the Spurs would let them leave.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

They should have extended Parsons for another year at under a million. There is not really any argument that can be made against that mistake in hindsight. They clearly didn't expect the market to go that high and they were really confident that they would get one of their free agent targets, and in the end Bosh and Carmelo took the money over the better basketball team. RFA strategy worked great for Lowry and Scola and backfired here. It's a completely valid complaint.

Ariza and Parsons are pretty much a wash. Guess what? The same article could be written if we had matched Parsons, except there wouldn't be any potential for more moves. We still wouldn't be any better unless you think this is the year Parsons is going to take another huge step and become an all star rather than just a good starter.

Do they really though? Lots of players come and go from the Spurs. Their big 3 has stayed together, but none of their "big 3" is going to make as much money as Parsons will next year! Sure some role players stay for longer than others, but none of them are getting near max deals, and their stars are playing at below market value. Keeping Parsons on a bad contract does not bring us closer to the way the Spurs do things.

I don't think they wanted Bosh to be the lead horse, they wanted him to be the best 3rd option they could get. The question of how that lineup would work without Parsons makes no sense. It's accepted that the Rockets would have matched Parsons offer IF they got Bosh because future flexibility would not exist with or without Parsons.

All that is a reasonable way to feel after the events of the past few days, but is the author going to tell me matching Parson's and staying the same isn't also spinning your wheels? Except with no option to improve the roster? Morey shouldn't have let Parsons become a RFA this off season, but after that mistake, don't compound it by overpaying Parsons. The rest is to be determined depending on what Morey does with the flexibility he still has. I don't believe that he is just going to be waiting for next summer though.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It's pretty true EXCEPT Morey didn't get the option of having a Tim Duncan. You have to keep flipping to get better unless you have a Popovich and Tim Duncan. What good was unity if we decided to just "see what happens" we'd still have Lowry, Dragic and PatPat as our 3 best players, you think we'd be better than we are now with that?

Morey came here with a broken down Tmac and Yao and turned it into Harden and Howard 6 years later, that isn't too bad.

15. Omron

Omron Member

The article is not saying Morey lacks the desire to build a championship contender nor that he should accept mediocrity. He's saying Morey is going about his goal the wrong way.

Morey is trading and swapping away players ruffling feathers in the process trying to get that "Big 3" but the jury is out whether he will be successful at it. So far, it seems like he made a mistake on Dragic and time will tell whether Parsons will be another one. Lowry he was able to turn into Harden so that seems like a win so I think it's too early to make any conclusions either way.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agreed.

The only reason morey is not a hero right now is bc the best players in the league from 2003 draft are more concerned with raking up cash, not rings (or legacy-pr moves.ie ,'Bron). Did bosh not learn anything from his spur-azz whooping? Discounted talent can do great things.

That is beyond his control.

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

What i don't understand is why did they give up 1st round and Lin before having a commitment from Bosh lol? WHY? Did Bosh want Morey to go ahead and trade Lin and 1st round or did Morey did it himself?? That's the question. I bet Morey was so certain that Bosh is going to sign with them because there is no way they're going to give up the 1st round. And if he knew that Bosh isn't going to sign with them, there is no way they're giving up Lin and especially a 1st rounder. So i think Morey screwed up this time...he should have made Bosh commit to the team before doing that trade.

18. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Because it was his last chance to execute that trade with the Lakers. LA had pending moves to make and the Sixers were probably asking for much more. All we gave up was a top 20 protected first rounder and a really low 2nd rounder.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Granny has been ****ting onthe Rockets since the post dream days. His articles are garbage eve if he has a sliver of insight.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

So why not go after guys like that? We got Ariza here for 8 mil a season. Use our capspace in that manner. Sign 2 or 3 quality role players with the 20 mil available instead of trying to save it all for one guy who likely won't ever sign here anyway. We could've kept Parsons and added a ton of depth. Instead we swapped him out for Ariza and are standing pat now under the delusion that in 2015(or 2016) a big name free agent will finally wanna come here.