1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Les & Rox REALLY about winning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2014.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Dallas ;). Nobody believed Parsons would get the max last season. Beverly may be viewed as the best defender in the league. And I expect him to raise his 3pt percentage. Plus contracts are going up. I wouldn't be surprised. Anything less than 6 million would be a bargain.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The Mavs are capped out thanks to that albatross and Monta can opt out after next year and is being paid half what Chandler is (how unlikely is it that he doesn't?), the cap isn't ballooning til the following year, maybe Tyson Chandler will re-sign for $2m? lol.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

One thing we know for sure, they are not about the fans or the Comcast deal would not have been done. Rockets had ten time better coverage with Fox Sports SW.

4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

It's still a bit early in all this, DD.

I wholeheartedly agree that, sometimes, teams need to create something beyond numbers in professional sports in order to win. And that something can't be created with constant seasonal personnel flux.

Or inadequate coaching. Or indecisive or indifferent players.

Just to name a few things.;)...

Just remembering where Daryl Morey cut his GM teeth...he was on board when Boston traded for a championship practically overnight in 2008. Doc Rivers wasn't what anybody thought of as a top-tier coach at the time of that trade, even with the obviously horrible roster he had before that trade. I actually think Rick Carlisle is a better coach than Doc...and I respect both of them.

But Doc did make the decision to hand the reins of on-court leadership (offensively) to Rajon Rondo, and publicly acknowledged and sided with Rondo during his disputes with Ray Allen. That decision probably kept those Celtics in contention a lot longer than they should have been, given the age of their core.

I think we all are prisoners, after a fashion, of our pasts. I don't think, as a matter of economics or chemistry, the decision on Chandler Parsons writ large can be seen totally for what it is until the team is more-or-less complete and has played some games together.

Whatever anyone thinks Parsons may or may not be worth on the "open market", or as a player, was determined the moment it was decided to give him free agency status a year early. I like Parsons, personally. He reminds me a lot of Cuttino Mobley, a second-round player with first-round talent who made himself a good NBA player. Parsons is on track to do much the same thing.

It's probably more important to figure out HOW the Rockets are going to play cohesively with both James Harden and Dwight Howard, particularly with Howard wanting to be more of a classic low-post offensive player, than it is to keep a player like Parsons, who for all intents and purposes, is about as "replaceable" a player as there is in the league right now (there's a glut of serviceable "swingmen" in the league). The Rockets looked too often against Portland like Harden and Howard, offensively, were taking turns seeing who would score. That's where coaching and chemistry need to take root.

Nothing wrong with being concerned and voicing your opinion. That's true of everybody here, for me. We're all of us Rockets fans, and want to see the team do well.

I'm going to take a flying leap and guesstimate that Les Alexander and Daryl Morey want that too.

But as always, we'll have to wait and see.

Should make for interesting viewing anyway....

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

With the correct "Big Three", there is zero question that Les would be spending money. Period. He wants to win it all. When the Rockets hired Morey, Les started to believe in a new model of the NBA: analytics. I have spoilered the blurb the Rockets had on the website of Morey's past in the field of Sports managment and analytics.
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_Hire_Morey_as_Assistan-174585-822.html

Les believes in Morey and we should to. Morey goal was to build a team with true championship potential. He was given the carcasses of a rotting erode core of Yao and TMac, and without tanking, found ways to assemble two elite level players in Harden and Howard. He flipped, traded, and devised many permutations in trying to attain his third big fish. In the end, money mattered for a guy who was satisfied with his career accomplishments. But we already knew that. Bosh was never cut from the same competitive cloth of Duncan's, Dirk's of this world.

To even suggest that the Rockets are not about winning is idiotic. Morey was given the keys to the engine on May of 2007. Considering all the moving parts since, Morey and Les have yet to put a losing season on record. They will get it right, because well run teams always do.

6. Illegal Machine

The fact that they didn't match Parsons proves 10000% that they're about winning. The pressure they were under from the fans to keep him was INSANE, and they realized that this wasn't a championship team with a big 3 of Harden/Howard/Parsons. It's not good enough and they pulled the plug on the deal.

7. Illegal Machine

We were literally on the cusp of being the first team to pay 4 players max contracts, and people are calling Les cheap.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is what was SAID, that is not what the actions say - words are meaningless.

DD

9. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

They've never shown to be tight before, money hasn't been the issue. If it's not about money, then usually winning is the goal.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I disagree, they have always been about the money and offloading players before they have to pay them more $$$.

Sometime staying the course is the right way to do things....flipping the roster over time and time again, doesn't work.

Never has.

DD

11. houactuar

houactuar Member

I don't think harden and Howard had trouble scoring vs Portland. I think where we needed help was on the other end of the floor. Aldridge simply blew up. He's a great player. Maybe we should get him. Aldridge Howard and harden would be good enough to win.

12. houactuar

houactuar Member

Ha ha. Nice generalities. Were the rockets the same team in 94 and 95?

13. houactuar

houactuar Member

I guess I agree to a point. Would we be better with Lin, Asik and parsons next year? Yes. And maybe they could get out of first round. But that is not Daryl's goal. His goal,was to land Bosh, match Parsons and be the best team in the league. He tried. He dreamed. Bosh said no. Haters need to stop hating. Daryl Morey gave us the best shot we had at being the best team in the league. Ultimately it did not work. But he will not stop trying. Haters need to stop.

14. Illegal Machine

Marc Stein JUST SAID said Bosh was promised that Parsons would be matched after he signed. It's a no brainer. We all know it was happening. 15 million a year, all over the cap with no penalty.

15. Illegal Machine

Offloading players before they pay them more $$$$ and flipping the roster over time and time again........is EXACTLY what the San Antonio Spurs do.

You get your big 3, then make shrewd trades and contracts and draft undervalued players to fill in the gaps. NEVER OVER PAY.

You found a Chandler Parsons once, you can find another one if you believe in your abilities to draft, which they do.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

According to the Stats posted in another thread . . . .this is not true

Rocket River

17. CertifiedTroll

Morey is testing the crowd to see how we feel about him with this thread. Nice try.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why do you doubt it . . . it was there. . . it just didn't happen
    Even without Parsons . .. he still has paying heavily . . .more than parsons .. . on Bosh

Rocket River

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Then why did we amnesty Scola? Ouch.

20. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Les is a business man first and foremost, he always does whats best for his pockets.