1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chandler Parsons contract proves my prediction that moneyball would end in failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Jul 11, 2014.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Man, the idiots have come out in force today.

2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Yeah, I haven't seen you post this much in a long time.

3. reliableman

reliableman Member

At some point the GM needs to take responsibility. I'm a fan Morey, but he is not flawless like many would like to think.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I see your vagina still hurts. You know, you can kill yourself anytime. Nobody will mind. Or care.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

You can't win them all.

7. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Dear OP, what if Chris Bosh committed?
    And what exactly does "moneyball asset deterioration" has to do with his "no"?
    Should be a little more humble my friend, and recognize the complexity of building a championship caliber team regardless of the path you choose.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The fact that you put time into writing and posting this is disturbing to say the least.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You know why he isn't flawless? Because nobody is. Name one general manager that isn't flawless? At some point fans like YOU have to stop with these delusions that he is messing up. The guy has a franchise center and All-Star shooting guard and great role-players and a 50+ win team. What exactly does he have to take responsibility for, being successful? For not getting another superstar player because that player decided to chase the money? Come on now.

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I don't believe any of your analysis until I see a pie chart describing the failures of money ball.

[​IMG]

#70 jsmee2000, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  11. scottie brooks

No graph?

12. conquistador#11

I don't think he is saying maury sucks. If you can find the talent, then you're doing a hell of job and maury can find talent. But the team building is right on. when you find your talent, you keep them.

what's the purpose of finding giambi, tejada and zito and letting them walk? just because you know you can find some one to replace them in three seasons? That's great but then the entire developing process starts over.

Acquiring a stud head coach will do more impact than chasing this imaginary 3rd star.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Most of the people in this thread don't get JCDenton.

14. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Morey does not have a moneyball approach. Just because he uses metrics everyone forever links him to what the Oakland A's do but that is totally wrong. How does the moneyball philosophy attempt to have 3 max players on the roster at the same time. The Rox were linked to Bosh twice, Carmelo, Lebron, Love, Howard, and Harden. How many times have the A's been in play for guys like Cano, Pujols, Fielder, Kershaw, or any of the other "max" type MLB guys who got paid recently.

Morey chases the star. He is willing to pay the star. That is not a moneyball approach. He has landed two of the NBA's best players by building assets. That is not moneyball, that is being a good GM. Not everything has worked, but to say he deserves to be fired is silly. Drafting a guy in the second round who later becomes good enough to command a 3 year 46 million dollar salary is not a mistake by the GM. Keep in mind, that contract was offered by the Mavs who you mention as being a good franchise because they drafted and retained Dirk. In hindsight, things could have worked differently with Parsons, but to say Morey made some catastrophic mistake shows how little you know about basketball.

Yes, hiring Pop and drafting Tim Duncan would be nice. Please tell me how many other teams have been able to do that. Morey's approach of building assets and luring superstars to Houston must be flawed. I mean, the Celtics drafted Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen. The Heat drafted Lebron James and Chris Bosh. The Lakers drafted Shaquille O'Neal and Pau Gasol. Wait, none of that happened. Those teams won titles through free agency and trades. You talk about asset windfall, and that is what Morey has done the past two years and almost did again this year.

Morey has won nothing. He has made mistakes. But he has also made Houston a place that every big name free Agent at least considered the past couple of years. 50+ wins in the loaded West is not a bad thing. Put the Rox in the East and Morey might be exec of the year.

2 people like this.
  15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

his plan for this year was a starting lineup worth $72m, that would have been the most expensive starting lineup in the nba, is that the NY Yankees moneyball approach?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course Moneyball like all theories has its flaws..... there is no perfect system

No we need to improve that or have hybrid theories... whatever works, man.

17. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

OP talks about team building and specifically mentions Yao, but fails to acknowledge the fact he retired just as he was entering his prime, forcing the front office to decide whether to build through the draft (i.e. tank) or try to rebuild while remaining competitive (resulting in mediocre #14 draft picks which is rarely, if never, going to get you a player to build around). Les, as I understand it, instructed Morey to try and keep the team competitive and that has been what we have witnessed these past few years, up until the point when Harden fell into our laps on account of Morey having the flexibility to make that trade. Roughly one year later, Morey somehow managed to lure Howard, a bona fide superstar, to Houston which, again, could not have happened without Morey's flexibility. So now we have one superstar, if you will, who is just about to enter his prime and another who is still in the middle of his; that's hardly what I call a failure considering the approach Morey was presumably dictated to use by his boss.

It's fair to argue that the Parson's situation was a mistake, especially now in hindsight, but did anyone REALLY believe that another team was going to offer him 15 million per??? The consensus appears to be that Parson's is now going to be massively overpaid by some team (btw, screw you mark "douchebag" cuban). However, had Bosh not jerked us around the way he did, we could have been looking at a starting 5 of Bev, Harden, CP, Bosh and DH. As Stan Lee would say, 'nuff said.

I think for anyone to say that Moreyball was a failure based on what's happened these past few days is shortsighted and, in this case, a little self-serving... I mean to say "groundbreaking" and "brilliantly predicted"?? C'mon man, get over yourself.

18. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

inwayafterNoGraphs?

19. houactuar

houactuar Member

Right. This was not oakland A's on the cheap.

And the A's were still a success, competing with teams with higher payroll. They revolutionized baseball.

Metrics is merely science. And science is better than ignorance. The OP is simply ignorant. That and a lack of graphs make his post worthless other than comedic gold.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

As much as people hate Lin, he is a slightly more competent floor general in some crucial games. This team will lose quite a bit without him in some instances. That's why it's important to get a Rondo...