1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Texans' off season thread for 2014.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 9, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Last time I listened to Houston sports radio, he was.

But then again, the average IQ of the Houston sports radio caller is somewhere between a lizard and a toaster.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

To be fair, at least Dre isn't all over the media, forcing things and making it tougher on the Texans. Hes kept it relatively quiet and only spoken out twice in public about this.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was just in the car listening to 610. The hosts seemed to think the fans were split 50/50 on who to blame.

It seems to me that the people who are against the Texans on this tend to take past moves into account against them. Meaning, they think the franchise is a joke because of Schaub and Kubiak and whatever else. And because they have such a low opinion of management, they're automatically going to side with Andre. Because if management is such a joke, how can they ever be right?

#643 Cannonball, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Just sucks that one of the all-time greats for the franchise may go out on a sour note. I hope both sides can figure something out and he comes back. In a league that's defined by billions of dollars, seems a little foolish to let 1 million stand in your way.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Pay him what he wants. Its not unheard of for teams to "take care of their guys" and pay them for what they have done. i know as fans, we don't care because we just want to see Ws. But it might go a long way with other players on the team or players on other teams to see a franchise "taking care of their guy".

fans are so fickle, will turn on you in a drop lol

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's the problem, you reward one guy for bad behavior, you incentive bad behavior. The reason Andre is holding out is because the last time he did so, he got what he wanted. Andre has a LOT more to lose by keeping this nonsense up than the Texans do. Andre is essentially in a contract year, if he doesn't stay healthy and play well, he'll be costing himself millions after the Texans cut him.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

We did that already.

True, and those teams often lose because of it.

It's important to note that 1) you don't want to reward this behavior and 2) most of these guys are going to be gone in 2 years because they're not BOB's players.

Same could be said for AJ.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm loyal to my team, not any individual player (unless his name is Hakeem or Earl).

Name one professional athlete that's loyal to his fans.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

well I think Andre is the Hakeem or Earl of the Texans. To me, he is a Houston Sports Legend like Hakeem or Earl. So maybe we just see it differently

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well we let Hakeem walk when he wanted too much money once he was no longer worth it.....

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So if he decides to not play (retire) this year and come back next year... do we still pay him? is he against our cap? and can he come back and join another team?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he doesn't play this year and comes back next year, he'd have the same contract and cap hit that he would have this year. I dunno what we'd do, but he'd have pretty much killed his career.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That hurts.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

But Hakeem in Toronto and Earl in NOLa had zero affect on either one of their Houston legacies.

Maybe I've gotten cynical in my old(er) age, but I just don't view AJ with the same reverence I view Hakeem or Earl. I'm certainly not going to put his interests ahead of the Texans.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

AJ was on the cusp of Hakeem/Earl territory.

An AFC championship game and he'd be there, undoubtedly.

Now he'll never make it onto the Mount Rushmore of Houston sports, unfortunately.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Playing for a 2-14 team that replaced one backup quarterback with a worst backup quarterback, a suspect GM, and a rookie head coach would kill AJ's career just the same as if he retired for a year.... Lol...

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pay the man he deserves it .

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No he doesn't, he didn't earn it because he chose to throw a temper tantrum.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would say dont give him the 1mil, but give him the guaranteed 2015...