1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you match the Parsons offer sheet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 9, 2014.

?

Would you match Chandler Parsons' 3-year, $46M offer (player option on third year) with Dallas?

1. Yes

360 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No

584 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. sufiankassam

sufiankassam Member

2. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Yes, Parson is "part" of the plan for your future; but by signing Bosh, it is pretty much a guarantee that he is our #4 guy on this team. Why be the #4, when he can (arguably) be the #2 guy in Dallas?

We are all aware of Cuban's dislike of the Rockets, specifically Morey, so why would he give Chandler time to sign the contract, that is just dumb and we know Cuban is not dumb. For all we know the offer is "for every hour you delay signing that contract, we subtract 1 million." Even if such douche move is not in play, why would/should Parson take a chance for Cuban to take that deal off the table?

Loyalty is a BS word in sports and it is especially true with the Rockets, so don't ask the players to do it when the front office does not practice it. After all, Parson is just an asset.

3. conquistador#11

look, though my man murry has an eye for the fashionista divas, which clouds his judgement and starts thinking with his other head, he can definitely find another chandler in the draft. it's what maury does.

But, by the time that other chandler is at chandler's level, howard might already have one foot out the door. We don't have time to waste. this is sports, one day you're on the top of the world, the next day you're crying in the fetal position.

Match!
    he is one of my favorite rockets, sniff sniff. =(

4. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Dude Parson ain't a star and will never be one.
    Overpaid is overpaid.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Chandler has already put on some weight

6. conquistador#11

if we're in win now, 12 million for deng would be perfect at that price. he causes mayhem on the defensive end too, which chandler lost the urge on that side of the court.

7. Crank

Crank Member

Hahaha people over value chandler. Getting paid as much as harden does has lockeroom implications.

8. do work son

do work son Member

I did some thinking last night, and I think we're fine with or without bosh. We have to match Parsons though.

If we sign bosh, we match Parsons, and we keep a core of harden Parsons bosh Howard for the next couple seasons.

If we don't sign bosh, we have until Sunday to spend 17 million give or take, our MLE and whatever trade exceptions we have on a better bench, then resign Parsons. It would essentially be keeping the same starting 5, but vastly upgrading our bench. No more omri casspi , Francisco Garcia.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

We do have to match. We have to use our cap on talent and match.

Any of you who think we should let Parsons go to a division rival for nothing sicken me. We already lost Omer in the division for what?

Its only a 3-year deal, it is not franchise crippling and would not be that difficult to move if need be.

Matching is the right thing.

10. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Even if we don't get Bosh, I think we HAVE to match (I don't agree we should). As you say, we need to keep Howard happy, if we lose Parson, who are we going to get, Rondo? We don't have any trade chip (Parson is gone) to get him. Howard is not going to hang around and wait.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Not at all. We can go over the cap to keep Chandler, we can't for Deng....

I'd take younger Chandler at 15 over Deng at 12 EASILY.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We traded Omer for a pick. We didn't "lose" him.

But yes, I too agree we should re-sign Parsons.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yup, I really hope Morey knows Bosh wil likely sign here and gave his "go ahead" to Chandler. Otherwise we are in a messy situation and would have maybe have to package&trade Parsons later this season for another max guy.

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

Parsons is a role player. He isn't worth 15mil a year. But how can you say he is easily replaced? Who are you going to replace him with.

We match Parsons' contract. For us, it doesn't matter much that he is overpaid, we will be capped out anyway. Over the next 3 days, we try to sign some free agents- hopefully Bosh, but if not try to sign someone else. Then we match. If we don't sign anyone else, we still match and then we have our MLE to use and look into trying to trade at the trade deadline. Either way, the Rockets wild be capped out and either a lot better than last year (Bosh) or a little bit better than last year (MLE)

15. chandlerbang21

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's the key in all this. If we don't match Dallas' offer and we're unable to come up with a reasonable replacement for Parsons(i.e. someone who can give you maybe 75% of what he did), then this team has no shot at winning a playoff series next season. Hell, I'd argue they're 50/50 to even make the postseason.

Now flash forward to the 2015 offseason. Sure, you may have a ton of caproom if you chose to let Parsons walk and didn't commit major money to anyone else(I'm assuming in this scenario that Bosh remains with Miami). Keep in mind that Dwight is under contract for only one more season at that point. He can opt out in 2016 and he almost certainly will. Think he'll resign here if the Rockets have gone nowhere in the playoffs and have gotten worse in terms of talent than when he first arrived? Yeah, me neither.

Then we've basically wasted 3 years of Dwight and Harden's prime, lost Parsons for nothing, and will be on the verge of 2 decades with only a single playoff series victory. And to add insult to injury, we'll be looking at another rebuilding project once Dwight bolts. I hate to say it because the contract sucks, but I think the Rockets have no choice but to match, regardless of what happens with Bosh.

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I'd take 23-year-old Stephenson at 10 over either.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But Stephenson is a SG. We're already set at that position.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think this is a bigger deal than some would think. NBA players are a different type of folk, and it could very well cause some issues down the road when Parsons starts trying to play like a superstar on the court, and takes away from the on-the-court chemistry.... than the "oh you get paid more now" thing pops up in the locker room. I've seen that 1,000 times.

Parsons is a stand up guy, and is the glue to that team in the locker room, but everyone else isn't as professional as he is. You do have to account for that, and factor it into your decision making.

The fact is.... Morey should have never made him a RFA. If he wants to leave, he's eventually going to find a way to leave. Its not like you locked him up long term really (2 years guaranteed at max vs. 1 year at min.....hmmm). Its apparently obvious now that Morey should have taken advantage of the free year, and let the chips fall where they may next Summer as an UFA.

My guess is Parsons took the 3 year (or 2 year however you want to look at it) deal because he actually does want to leave Houston, but not for the reasons you think, or the reasons his teamates will think. I believe Parsons wants to do a Harden/OKC/Houston type of move where he takes a bigger starring role on another team. I think he wants to be an All Star, and get that recognition as the face of the franchise. He can do that in Dallas. He can't do that in Houston really because.... well the team has two MUCH MUCH better star players.

Regardless... I dont blame Parsons for any of this as much as I dont blame Harden for leaving OKC. It is what it is. However if the Rockets do decide to bring him back, they need to have some serious discussion about what they can do to prepare for any potential locker room distractions, or sulking that this situation might cause.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It's a lot of money - but he won't turn into a really bad contract. More like Batum.

In my oppinion we have to match - we won't really get anyone better with the money, especially not if we can get Bosh, since we wouldn't have capspace anyways. Parsons is an important part of this team, both on and of the court, and he has improved in every season he has been in the league so far. A big 3 - and Parsons - well that would be pretty hard to beat. A big 3 which includes Parsons should still have a chance to win.

Some questions though: how hard would it be for this team with Parsons and Bosh to stay under the hard cap? And how expensive would it be for Les to pay luxury tax? And: if we can't sign Bosh, would we still have the MLE AFTER extending Parsons, or would we have to use our capspace before signing the offer sheet to Parsons?