1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You're gonna miss me when I'm gone - m night shyamalan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 7, 2014.

1. what

what Member

Is the general public and critics making up with M Night Shyamalan? Or at least re-examining his movies and finding out that they were mostly misunderstood and some are even great.

On a whim today, I searched for m night and found two articles which praise the film that basically sent him into retirement, The Happening and these articles are praising that film as inventive and ahead of its time.

So what do you guys think, has m night's films surprisingly are they aging well and are people beginning to take a second look?

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/26050/looking-back-at-m-night-shyamalans-the-happening

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/15/the-happening-disaster-levels-film-on-tv-recap

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like these 3 movies.

Sixth Sense
    Unbreakable
    Signs

Devil and The Village were entertaining, though just mediocre, imo.

The Happening
    Lady In The Water
    The Last Airbender
    After Earth

All sucked the D.

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

The Happening gave me cancer.

1 person likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The Last Airbender could not have been worse.

5. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I really liked the Sixth Sense.

Unbreakable wasn't horrible.

After that, I grew to hate anything he touched. Him, Adam Sandler and Progressive Flo have proven that there is no justice in the world.

[Plot twist]

I am actually a vegetable that lives underwater and knows how to post to Clutchfans.......and I love Adam Sandler movies and Flo! :eek:

1 person likes this.
  6. what

what Member

Never saw The Last Airbender and After Earth, because I figured that they weren't really an M Night film, but a vanity project.

But I am with you on Lady in the Water as the worst of the M Night films. To, The Happening, both articles I posted call this film a misunderstood masterpiece, which I thought the film was good when I saw it but I certainly need to revisit it again.

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Interesting. I didn't realise there were so many M Night haters. I always thought he was revered as one of the most innovative filmmakers of the past few decades along with Aronofsky.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If you read this and apply it to Signs the movie is much more interesting.
    _____

"When I first saw this film, I didn't realize that it wasn't about aliens at all. It's about the return of demons. Notice it's all about a priest's resurgence of belief, and a preordained moment of redemption-if-dared-and-attempted. There is no alien technology or weaponry or clothing of any kind, only a clawed, naked beast creature and lights in the sky.

Furthermore: The running joke throughout the movie is that people see these "invaders" in a way that's related to their particular frame of mind: The cop sees them as prankster kids, the bookstore owners see them as "a hoax to sell commercials," the Army recruitment officer sees them as invading military, the kids see them as UFOs... and the Priest sees them as test of faith. This understanding of the film removed my hatred of the "You've got to be kidding me; they were killed by WATER!" concept. In fact, the priest's daughter had been referred to as "holy" (as revealed during Mel's key monologue)–recognized by all who saw her at her birth as "an Angel;" and her quite particular relationship to water is shown to be very special and spiritual: In other words, she has placed vials of what are, essentially, HOLY WATER all around the house. (And the creature's reaction when coming in contact with this blessed liquid is EXACTLY like monsters/vampires being splashed by spiritual "acid.")

This view of the movie also explains the creature's actions: They act like superior tricksters, are not able to break in through closed doors, can be trapped behind simple wooden latches –all mythological elements of demons and vampire-like creatures of lore. It also explains the news over the radio at the end of the movie that an ancient method of killing the creatures has been found "in three small cities in the Middle East" - one would suspect the religious "hubs" of the three main Abrahamic traditions, each discovering the "mystic methods" of protection-and-dispatch that I’ve noted earlier.

Note also: All the Christian iconography throughout the movie, the references to "Signs and Wonders" (the true meaning of the title), the crucifix shapes hinted-at everywhere (check out the overhead shot, looking down on the street driving into town) and the ultimate fact that the entire movie is built around a Priest rediscovering he is not abandoned to a random, Godless, scientifically-oriented Universe but, rather, is part of a predicted and dreamed-of plan.

Now –these creatures may for all intents and purposes be some sort of extraterrestrial or inter-dimensional "aliens" –but the point of the movie seems to be that they are, in the ACTUALITY OF THE FILM WORLD, the dark stuff from which all the character’s tales of devils and night-creatures were born."

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm a fan of M. Night. I actually felt that The Village was one of the better films I have seen up to that point.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Sixth Sense - his Citizen Kane.. there was never going to be any topping of that movie, period. GREAT film.

Unbreakable - Didn't like it. It was a great movie up until the non-payoff. Ruined the whole experience for me.

Signs - I liked it. And while I have never thought of it in terms of the aliens being 'demons' as the article suggested, I always understood the divine touches threading all through the film.

The Village - it was good, but a little too obvious, once you realize the monsters were not real.

Lady in the Water - again, atmospheric and well put together, but just not a very good story, and just came off as more random and silly than anything else. Tried too hard to be clever.

Never saw The Happening, Devil, or Last Airbender, but I have heard nothing but bad things.

After Earth was not bad as such, but it was a kids movie. If people look at it like some kind of high-budget Disney-channel kids movie, then it's ok.

Maybe one of these days I'll see the Happening, it's probably not as bad as people say, but the little snippets I saw of Airbender, oh man, was that total trash..

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we'll miss him when he's gone, because once it happens, we'll all discover he was never here to begin with, or some sort of twist like that.

1 person likes this.
  12. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I liked his first few movies, but then it all went down hill fast. He's been making dog poop for awhile. Not sure how he's still drawing a paycheck.

13. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JXLKrK-vZIc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I think he's taken risk. Good for him. Some hits. Many misses. But a good effort. His movies are all going to rely on character development because the payoff won't be until the end. He could take O'Henry stories and run with them the rest of his career if he wanted. but will always come down to whether or not the characters can deliver. So think what he needs to focus on is powerful dialogue and relationships so that he can deliver his endings. I think he'll hit another home run eventually if he makes a few more movies, and that's worth it so long as hollywood can seaw a dollar on him. But honest truth is his movies could be done blair witch style. So budgets could be kept low.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Sixth Sense is an all-timer, and I even somewhat enjoyed The Village, but the dude jumped the shark. The Happening is one of the most laughable movies I can remember.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Retirement? He's made 3 movies since then (2 if you don't count "Devil" since he didn't direct). And he's currently making 2 move films, one coming out this year one in 2015. That's not much of a retirement.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Thank you for this. :eek:

I knew it had something to do with "BIG HIT" at first, then "meh" film... then losing all desire to become better than that, but I couldn't have articulated it as well as this here dude whose video you posted. Well done.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I slept midway through the Crappening.

There's not enough to miss from M Night, though I'll give him credit like the Wachowski brothers for introducing something different in that era.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

I actually thought The Village was borderline good. Didn't see the twist coming.