1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    EAST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the Pacers avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Doc Rocket speaks again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jun 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MFG16

MFG16 Member

This is just my opinion on the tweets but I feel like including Parsons is the real deal breaker opposed to including Martin. Seems like Morey is going to try at Melo and signing Parsons afterward rather than a Love trade (at first). If Morey didn't have a plan at Melo and could get Love without trading Parsons and taking a bad contract or two back we would be preparing for a press conference right now. Parsons, at the moment, is in my opinion the deal breaker because the plan is signing a star FA and keeping Parsons. If we strike out on the FA front then things change but we wont know that until decisions have been made.

1 person likes this.
  2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Maybe the "Deal Breaker" is Parsons. He might not be willing to sign with Wolves. Rockers have been " busy" trying to convince him to do so.

3. treeman

treeman Member

And by the time we strike out on the FA market Love will have already been dealt to GS or wherever...

Guys like Lebron and Melo opting out throws a huge wrench into everybody's plans and creates a free-for-all atmosphere. Everyone is holding back until they see where those couple of top buys are going, and after that the dam breaks and the deluge overwhelms everyone, and I think it causes bad decision-making across the league on both team and player sides as everyone seeks the best deal available *at that point*.

Of course, that point cannot be known for certain before that first guy says "OK" (Lebron this time), so everything is in flux until that decision. GMs across the league probably have deals and fallback deals, plans and fallback plans in place - all waiting for one dude to say what he's doing this year. One dude shouldn't have that much power...

I think that is what Doc was getting at. Screw them, go for Love, if you're not first then you're last... Don't miss out and be the Homer with the wilting flowers in your hand on some girl's doorstep while some dude picks up her almost-as-hot neighbor who really liked you in his shiny new Prius...

1 person likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is what i'm thinking, no way in hell Martin is the deal breaker. Morey loves Martin.

5. MFG16

MFG16 Member

I agree that Doc is hinting at this. Morey cant get Love because it kills any chance at signing a key FA. Shoot, the real deal breaker at the moment is Lebron/Melo. They are the major plan (along with keeping Parsons) and a lot of Doc's tweets illustrate his displeasure with this plan. If we strike out with a key FA then Morey might look at a Love trade but by then it might be too late.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

He can hold whatever he wants to me. I want a damn championship, and I'll bust out the knee pads if necessary.

1 person likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude NSFW that stuff, there's children on here! :p

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I doubt it. If you get Love, you already have Harden and Howard. Bron isn't coming here anyway.

9. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Doesn't matter what we think, the only opinion that matters is Morey's opinion. While I agree that Lebron doesn't come here it's not going to stop Morey from pursing Lebron/Melo. Two summers ago he got Harden, last summer he got Dwight, why should he have any doubt that he couldn't land Melo? If Morey thought Love was the missing piece he would have made him the first option but it seems like he's put Lebron/Melo and even Bosh ahead of Love. Because this is the Doc thread this theory corresponds with every Doc tweet. My personal opinion would be to just snag Love and call it a day but trying to decode Doc's tweets has lead me to the above thinking.

10. jrett121

jrett121 Member

Agreed. Also, the riddle wouldn't make sense if one of the "two kevins" (martin) is *also* Mr. Dealbreaker. Parsons is the dealbreaker if they want to dump that contract on us. I happen to agree that $7M/yr for Martin is pretty good value, but Morey must feel otherwise.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The deal breaker could be Kevin signing an extension. I don't think LeBron is in our radar. I don't think doc rocket has even once tried to tell us that he is. The #greed stuff falls in line with the eat, prey, love too. Sounds like we are trying to get a lot and not pay for it.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We wouldn't be able to afford more than the three max deals anyway. Look, Pat Beverly already stated that LeBron told him he isn't coming here. Carmelo would be a fool to leave the East. Morey will pursue them but he'd be like the media still following the beaten primary candidate who hasn't conceded: it's just a matter of time.

If we land Love, we'd have one gigantic happy j*zz, and it'd just be a matter of bolstering the bench. Doc Roc is saying that's our play.

13. don grahamleone

I can't help but think you are about right. I think doc rocket personally thinks that we shouldn't sweat the deal being perfect. Winning fixes the problems.

I, like Roxtxia, doubt it.

14. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Dude, I'm agreeing with you. Landing Love would be great for this team and gives us a stretch four but you're proving my point. We cant afford more than 3 max contracts and Morey's plan to pursue the big FAs is keeping us from getting Love. Of course we can disagree on what Doc's tweets mean but I read them as we are putting too much stock into the FAs, being greedy, when we should be concerned with Love. Again, personally I'd snag Love, call the press conference, and build the bench. From Doc's tweets I just don't see that as his "first" choice.

15. joepu

joepu Member

If I were Les I would tell morey to go for love. From a financial perspective, max salary for love is at least 20 million less over the next 5 years. That and however much luxury tax will be incurred. Either player will make the fan base happy. If a deal for love is there, why would les want to pay potentially 30-50 million for melo?

16. don grahamleone

81, 60, 73, 55, 18, 77... never underestimate the power of health.

17. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

What? Where?

18. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

when did Pat ever say that?

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

he told that to some body at the Astros game. and this person noted it on his twitter or instagram. I forget which one and posted it on some thread on CF.

20. cdastros

cdastros Member