1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014] What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 22, 2014.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i thought that said karl (r)ove

yikes

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

"Main Street" by Sinclair Lewis

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Took a break from Locke Lamora to read the latest uber man-smut by Larry Correa, Monster Hunter Nemesis. These books are pure adrenaline with fights, huge guns and huge monsters. The interludes are maybe 10% of the books, the rest is action. I absolutely adore these books.

[​IMG]

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just finished up

The Enemy By Charlie Higson. Sure it's geared towards teens but it was an enjoyable book

Started

The Intern's Handbook by Shane Kuhn. It's a bit too predictable so far and tries a bit too hard to be a "ready made for movie" book for me.

Almost finished

Console Wars. Great book.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

In My Time by Dick Cheney (flame suit on)

6. Win

Win Contributing Member

Just finished "Julian" by Gore Vidal. Actually that is my 2nd reading (very rare for me). What a great book!

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

No flaming in this thread....you're safe.

[​IMG]

8. TheresTheDagger

Man...I see what you mean. I'm 50 pages in, and its like reading a writer who's schizophrenic. Sticking with it though so far...

9. ohmarioyes

ohmarioyes Member

the tao of wu

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, I'm reporting back on Pirate Latitudes.

The book has a lot of problems. I'm not quite finished yet, but I'm about 85% done.

Some of the action is actually enjoyable, and some of the predicaments the characters get into were well done.

But the problems start with a protagonist that is boring. He isn't interesting, not someone I found myself cheering for. He was someone I didn't really care about at all. He doesn't have a real driving motivation. He doesn't have interesting character flaws to overcome. He doesn't make the kinds of mistakes that well written multi-dimensional characters make and deal with. So it's very hard to stay interested in the story of a character that I have little concern about one way or the other.

The same is true of many of the secondary characters.

In addition the book starts off set in a realistic setting with actual places there. But then about half way through it, the book becomes a fantasy
    with an actual sea monster in it.

Nothing in the book delves deeply into situations or characters, and it just isn't a good read. I've definitely been disappointed. I will probably finish it because I'm close enough to the end, but I couldn't recommend it to anybody else to read.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I have been working like a dog lately and have precious little time to read for fun, but I am wrapping up The Engineer Trilogy by K.J. Parker. It's been a fun, dark read. I'd give it 7/10.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Ran through The Martian pretty quick, was surprised at how entertaining it was considering most of the book is problem solving.

After that read Spinward Fringe Broadcast 8: Renegades, which is the continuation of a space opera that the author writes with the intention of being turned into a tv show. I've found the series entertaining and it keeps a good pace.

Picked up Nesbo's The Son to read next. Liked the Harry Hole novels that were previously mentioned, so will see how this novel from Nesbo goes.

13. TheresTheDagger

Thanks for that review. Saved me money and time. I understand that this book was actually found as a manuscript after Chricton passed away. Maybe he knew it was crap and that's why it was never submitted. Who knows?

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm currently reading a novel and a history. Recently finished the novel below:

[​IMG]

Another mystery by Austin's Steven Saylor. He's now writing about the youth of his protagonist, Gordianus. It takes place in Alexandria and the Nile Delta, with Gordianus up to his neck in trouble. A great series that should really begin with Roman Blood.

This is what I'm reading now:

Earth Awakens, by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnson. This is part 3 of a multi-volume prequel to the Ender series. Very nice!

[​IMG]

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East, by Scott Anderson. It's gotten rave reviews, and based on what I've read so far, they were well deserved. This is Thomas Edward Lawrence as you've never seen him before (and that's actually a good thing!).

[​IMG]

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The art of racing in the rain. Really enjoyed it.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mr. Mercedes

17. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Finally finished 11/22/63. Really enjoyed it and would recommend

18. PeppermintCandy

CivilWarLand in Bad Decline by George Saunders

Man what a weird collection of short stories. Like a sci fi dystopian movie set to a laugh track.

19. body slam

body slam Member

The Martian - which is the 1st official novel the I read since getting out of school 20+ years ago. I want to thank all the CFs that recommended it. A very good fun read. Now I'm trying to figure out who I want to see in the movie if that were to happen. Thanks again.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Hope you were saying Matt Damon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_(Andy_Weir)#Film_adaptation