1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent to Heat: LeBron James opting out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Camarograna2, Jun 24, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>LBJ opt out only maximizes his leverage. Still likely he returns to Heat, but it gives LA teams, Bulls, Phil a chance 2 get in front of him.</p>&mdash; David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) <a href="https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/statuses/481453473981267968">June 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hey LeBron, it's Phil!! We don't have a cap room but maybe next year!

2. MFG16

MFG16 Member

This! Dwight, Harden, and James has a really nice RING to it!

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

He's a clown to diehard NBA fans, but he's an agent/GM's wet dream because he's willing to be their mouthpiece without regards to his own reputation.

For being such a loyal lapdog, they have to feed him something. This happens to be one of those not-that-important-but-keeps-him-relevant bones to be thrown at him.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sam Amick:

I don't get the sense we'll see a huge pay cut coming from Wade. It's equivalent of the Kobe situation. Not that he's getting a Kobe extension but feels he deserves that money based on what he's done for the franchise. That doesn't help in the here and now. That is the million dollar question. That is why LeBron is smart to do this. There were red flags made during the season: Mike Miller, Joel Anthony.

Heat's plan?

'Melo thing much discussed but even they said it was slim. Plan B, I don't know. A splashy addition? I don't see it. Kyle Lowry? I don't see a guy like that in the prime of his career doing that. They don't have a ton of options.

Can teams approach LeBron right now?

Not yet. July 1. July 1-10 is the moratorium. But there is no restrictions on players. That's the end around.

5. rocketsmetalspd

Man July 1st can't get here soon enough. This is going down but we shall see IF Lebron decision is just to get Wade and Bosh to opt out and then restructure their contracts again to get more pieces to help them or Lebron is truly going somewhere else. What a Summer so far.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Morey: "Hey Leon, we'll sign your guy Brad Newley too. If_ you can bring us LeBron, O.K?"

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

Opting out then re-signing with Miami to take a paycut and bring in some help. He ain't going anywhere, but I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This week is a lot more exciting than last week in terms of NBA.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Skip Bayless said, to Broussard's face mind you, that after the decision Broussard was so desperate to get in Lebron's good graces that he "sold his journalistic soul" to get close to Lebron.

1 person likes this.
  10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

yeah, but the key is bosh and wade. if they both opt out, lebron is gone. if they both opt in , but only take a little less, he still might leave.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Most likely outcome if the other guys play ball. It can't just be Lebron.

Lebron taking a little less doesn't buy them a ton of room and a guy like Lowry isn't going to take less than he's worth when he hasn't been paid market level yet in his career.

12. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I guess we got forgotten again...

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

The Rockets can sign Lebron to the same contract he played for this year ($19 million) and still have:

Dwight
    Harden
    Parsons
    TJones
    Beverley
    Daniels
    Canaan

If the team really wants to bring back Covington, I don't think they will have much competition in free agency.

You can probably get Chris Anderson as your backup center if he opts out.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Don't underestimate the relationship with LeBron James and current rocket ( ex team mate) Dexter Pittman who is part of Lebron's social inner circle.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Which is good that means are a very much into it.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Pittman was cut by the Rockets.

17. NicaHoustonian

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Im not gonna get too many hopes up being a Rockets fan, but it just makes too much sense.

Most likely, he stays with Heat
    Next choice is even b/t Cleveland and Rockets IMO. One offers less hate and a return home which im sure his family also wants, the other offers pretty much a guarenteed ring.

Other than that its a crap shoot between money and talent but I have one bold statement:

THERE IS NO WAY HE GOES TO CHICAGO

Im not saying this because im worried and they are close in contention with us, for all FA, but because, aside from hate, money, ring chasing, talent East/West..... But after trying to make his own all-star path this whole time being compared to MJ, I just dont see him furthering that by going to MJ's team and playing in that shadow under those banners and all that.. IMO

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'd say there's about a 95% chance he stays with the Heat.