1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man you can't compare Quessenberry situation to Andre's. Andre has been dedicated to this franchise for 12 years. put in alot of blood and sweat for an organization that's been to the playoffs twice in 12 years, on its third head coach and 2nd rebuilding period. Any freaking 10-12 year vet would be frustrated with this current situation. Anybody with an competitive spirit would be highly frustrated . We have a turnover king behind the helm, a rookie head coach and a new offensive scheme. Y'all keep bringing up the money but ignore those simple facts. Dude its not always about the money. This man had aspirations of winning a Super Bowl one day. And right now the Texans are nowhere close to competing for a Super Bowl let alone make it back to the playoffs.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I ignore them because they are irrelevant. He's either going to play for the Texans this year, or he's going to retire. Missing off-season workouts and OTA's doesn't change that at all it just makes him less prepared for the upcoming season which leads to less interest in him next year when he's a FA.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They dumped him because they don't believe in paying their WR there just due. Ask Wes and a host of other great wide outs and players that played for them.

Moss asked for a fat contract after that explosive record breaking season and they responded by cutting the man.

Again its not about the money. Stop assuming sir.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny, you make an assumption, then ask me to stop assuming. Was the hypocrisy intentional or accidental?

They dumped him because he was an aging WR who thought he was special, who thought that he could make demands of the Pats.....that's not how they roll, and the Texans now pretty much have that same mentality. If Andre doesn't check himself, the same thing that happened to Moss could happen to him, it's not like they aren't the same age.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

How about we wait and see how this thing turn out. Like I said this man come back and give us his usual strong production. He is a freaking vet who is very football smart. So I am confident that he will pick up BOB system pretty fast. BOB is employing NE system so its not that complex.

It's amazing to me how fans turn on these players.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The odds are very against that, MJD was a vet with a high football IQ and missing camp led to an injury plagued season and he hasn't been the same since.

It's amazing to me how some fans choose players over their franchise. Individual players come and go, the second they act out against the franchise, I don't know why anyone would support them unless they are a bigger fan of the player than they are the franchise which IMO is a pretty short sighted way of being a football fan.

He turned on the franchise and thus the fans, why wouldn't fans turn on him?

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ok, you're right, I shouldnt compare the two. And I understand his frustration,but we need him right now and I am not claiming to know football in depth or figure out all the schemes and facts, but I completely believe we have a chance to go to the playoffs this year. call it wishful thinking or whatever you want, but the chiefs went 2-14 2 yrs ago, replaced 32 players and coaches, and came back and went to the playoffs. Im buying in to the new scheme, I like this coach, Im excited about a strong defense. Our QB cant do worse than our last one, everything is different so Im giving out the benefit of the doubt.

But we have enough problems with injuries and stuff, we dont need our healthy all-star vet to quit on us. Watt said that one of the most crucial things to help this team take off is for the vets to "buy in" to all this new scheme and the rookies and young guys will follow.

On the issue of being "fed up" first of all, what could we have done differently this off season? drafted a QB? ok.

Second of all:
    the Det Lions have been to the playoffs once since '99 -Calvin Johnson isnt complaining and that also includes the only 0-16 season in history

Ari Cardinals have been twice since '99 ( i know they made a run to the superbowl, but they lost still) and Fizgerald isnt doing anything

Im not saying they are completely in the same boat, but I mean if we had kept schaub and kubiak would he still be mad?

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You are assuming the worst plus acting like you know exactly what's going on. Big difference. Not one time have you look at this situation from a players prospective.

Andre and Moss are two different personalities.

It had nothing to do with age. NE just don't pay period. Wes put up big numbers each year for them and they didn't pay the man for his dedication and hard work year after freaking year. When you have Tom making scrubs looking like stud wide outs why pay the likes of Moss and Welker.

Dre wants the opportunity to win a Super Bowl one day. Why is thst so hard for you to believe. Right now we might win 8 games and that's it. I'm hoping for 10 or better but realistically speaking that's not going to happen.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Calvin hasn't been to nfl for 12 years either and he is not in the same situation as Dre Day. The Lions do have a franchise QB at the helm. Now what if the Lions go 2-12 this season watch ole boy Calvin show his frustration and probably want out.

Fitzgerald has shown his frustration and gotten paid healthy for it.

Like I told bobbythegreat lets wait and see how this thing pans out.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And you are assuming the best plus acting like you know exactly what's going on. Not really a difference.

Why would I? I don't really care about any individual player, I care about the team. As to Andre, he's a professional, he should act like one.

Both formerly top WR's that buy into their own BS and act like prima donnas late in their careers. They have a lot more in common than you think. Just because once upon a time Andre was a team player doesn't change anything that's happened once he stopped being that kind of player.

That's true, they only allow team friendly people to be a part of their franchise, and their franchise has done very well as a result. Now we have a head coach installing that mentality here.

You don't hurt the team for one player, no matter who that player is. Pretty solid philosophy if you ask me.

That's just an assumption, he didn't seem to care about that back when he was hurting the team by demanding more money that caused players to become cap casualties in the past.

And Andre's prima donna act isn't helping the situation. He has one more year with the Texans then he can go to any team that will have him. He should do his best to make this team get to the playoffs to keep his value high so that a contender might want him next year.

11. Remii

Remii Member

I wouldn't doubt at all if they asked AJ to take a pay cut because of his contract this year and next with the cap situation and the need to extend J.J. AJ has helped the Texans by restructuring his contract before but he has no obligation to do it for them now. Especially when they extended Foster, Schaub, and Cushing when they didn't need to and none of those players have been earning their new contracts.

AJ took less money upfront with an agreement to receive the rest of it on the back end of his contract and apparently the Texans are trying to cut bait and get out of it and not honor their end of the contract even though AJ has been producing.

Very interesting that AJ favored this pod cast, tweet, or whatever they call it. Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man I'm going to be a Texans fan after AJ is out of here. But im not going to bash the best player in our franchise history either. Whats funny is you act as if these franchise don't do these players wrong. You said the franchise was going to cut him after this season anyways no matter if he puts up big numbers again. Lol explain to me the justification of that. Oh JJ needs to be paid and that's the only way to pay him. We not looking at an injured prone Cushing or a over paid Joseph who could possibly be cut after this season.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, how is cutting him doing him wrong? If all he really cares about is having the chance to win a SB like you insist it would be doing him a favor right? Maybe, just maybe that line about just wanting to win is nothing but BS from a petulant and pouty prima donna at the end of his career who isn't getting his way....you know, just maybe?

Also, why would I take the side of a guy bashing the franchise? Why would any fan of the franchise take the side of one player that is actively working against the franchise?

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Please show me a quote by Andre of him bashing the Texans organization.

Again how is it not wrong these franchise can do what the heck they want to do to these players. But these players can't look out for themselves makes no sense to me.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's NOT looking out for himself, that's the point. He's taking terrible advice and hurting the Texans AND hurting himself, he's just too stupid to realize it. Helping the team be as good as they can his last year here is in his best interest moving forward. It'll keep his value high for teams to want to pick him up next year.

In fact, if he only did what was in HIS best interest, there would be no problem at all.

16. Major

Major Member

This is a bit fat load of crap. There is ZERO reason he has to value any of those things. That's what you value. You then project it on him and call him stupid for not valuing it. There is zero reason he needs to value maximizing income, prolonging his career, or the Hall of Fame. He's made plenty of money; players quit all the time before they have to; the HoF may be irrelevant to him if he doesn't get his value from what others think of him. When you say he "should" value something, you're simply projecting your own desires and goals in life on someone else.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Please stop responding to Bobby. He has 196 posts in this thread multiplied by three noting the stupidity of his opinions. Stop the madness.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

When he held out before he wanted more money. I tend to think he is really really tired of losing but it could easily be money.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he doesn't value income, prolonging his career, or making the HOF then there's really no point to him playing any longer and he should retire. Again, those aren't MY values, those are the values of pretty much anyone in the league. If they don't value at least one of those, then why play? If you don't care about money, fame, or playing the game, why play?

I'm fine with him retiring if he doesn't want to play the game anymore, but don't tell me he doesn't value playing the game and still wants to work things out.

20. Remii

Remii Member

"You play to win the game" _ Herm Edwards...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.