1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Note to Morey: Your going about this wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Jun 16, 2014.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This.

The Spurs, Mavs, and '04 Pistons were exceptions to the rule. There are always exceptions. But more often than not, if you're top talent is better than other teams top talent, you win.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That Jim Jones? :

[​IMG]

Cause that was 1978
    [​IMG]

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Has it ever occurred to some people that the main reason he rests his guys so much is because they are old and a large chunk of the team has also played a ton of international ball on top of the NBA?

If he had the guys to handle the minutes he would freaking play them just like every other coach.

In Duncan's first 6 seasons the least amount of minutes per game played in any one season is MORE than Harden has played in either season here.

I won't argue that Pop isnt far and away the best coach but the best coach hadn't won a title in 7 years. Coaching is hardly everything, as people have already stated star players are the biggest key to winning. Not to say having stars is fool proof, but it is THE best chance at winning it all.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Our fans are so dumb :(

5. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

This is such an overused picture. It still cracks me up, though.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

NOOK -

dont worry bro my thread is still here where I explained howards $22mill value and how I didnt feel like it was good for the team and future playoff success when we got him.

morey didnt feel any of the teams holes, but he did get more attention, more ticket sales, the franchise were able to go up on the price on tickets, still no TV deal done with maybe even melo here next year.

ive been here before with a similar thread with people saying YOU HAVE TO GET BEST FREE AGENT out there PERIOD before 2013, but at the end of the day we still got knocked out first round. so yeah... I just dont understand how you spend $22mill on a player and have worse playoff success as a TEAM.

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The Spurs lost on a fluke shot last year lol. That Dallas championship team had Dirk and a bunch of role players. The point is having a collective group of all around good players usually wins over a big 3, with a competent coach. If sacrificing having 5 or 6 good role players comes at the expense of 1 great player, then it's simply not worth it.

8. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Luis Scola... Some people shouldn't be able to make threads.

9. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

No Luis Scola? Boris Diaw dismantled the Heat in the post. Some ppl don't know basketball:rolleyes:

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So who do you want to replace McHale with huh?

Since there are tons of HOF coaches just sitting around and waiting for a phone call.

Didn't teams just pay 20-35 million dollars for Steve Kerr and Derrick Fisher to coach?

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

You misspelled "awl."

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You and Opee should of checked your grammars.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Whether its the right move or not, Morey is the only reason we have Harden and Dwight and possibly a third star. I shudder to think what would have happened if we didn't get Harden. Perennial mediocrity.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We're trying to bring in a 3rd star at the expense of Lin (easy to compensate for) and Asik who will likely walk in 2016 or command a salary from us that far exceeds his playing time. We're not losing anything. And we're not losing much when you toss in a pick or 2, Jones, or even Parsons (depending on who you get back).

We all want a better coach. And don't forget it was Morey who wanted JVG to stay on and Morey who brought in Rick Adelman. It's Morey who's targeting a new assistant.

Don't assume he doesn't value coaching simply because of the "5 games" remark. He knows what he's doing.

You guys think he wants a computer out there running a team of guys wearing Google Glass, that receive shocks from a shock collar whenever they pickup their dribble in mid-range shot territory.

We're talking about a guy who wants to emulate the ****ing Spurs and desperately improve our defense.

Not some maniacal super villain from Bond.

15. Moleb

Moleb Member

Look at the content OP is talking about not his spelling. I made a topic about a Tornado Warning in Harris County not long ago, and had about 1 page of idiots getting their post count up bu talking about my typo spelling tornado.

Some of the replies to OP are just plain stupid. Which is most of CF sadly.

OP you have very very very valid points. Melo is should not be our #1 target. Rondo would be a better fit. But perhaps the reason Parsons is being declined and a RFA means him & fillers for Rondo. Which would still leave Asik & Lins Contract for Melo, Love or Lebron James type of trade possibly.

OP i really like your logical and non emotional letter to Morey. Its too bad all the posts on here are not as intelligent as yours when it comes to GM moves.

Lastly good coaches don't grow on tress. The Rockets cannot hire and fire everyone. It happens all the time from fire Rudy T, JVG, Adeleman, Mchale. I've been lurking on CF since 1999.

If i spelled something wrong sue me. I dont care.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets won significantly more games after signing Howard and lost in the playoffs to a team that had the same number of wins. It isn't as if the Rockets were the 1 seed and lost to the 8 seed.

Second, Morey said the Rockets needed more changes to win an NBA title. What he said was that Howard helped the Rockets get closer to that goal.

The Rockets did not have "worse playoff success".

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

NO COACH IS BETTER THAN MCHALE AS COACH

Heck, just have a statue on the sidelines and call that the coach and we would be doing much better.

McHale is as useless and as inept as it gets in terms of coaching. A bottom 3 NBA coach currently and one of the 10 worst of all time.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Coaches do not grow on "tress"?

1 person likes this.
  19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Why is it the people with the worst takes on most other subjects are the first ones to popup and claim they alone know what is best for a professional basketball team when they have never ever worked on a team in any capacity?

Even better than those guys? The ones who see a couple of people write stupid ***** and want to put it on ALL fans of a team. "CF fans are stupid cause those couple of posters are stupid." Great logic there. :rolleyes:

btw...you guys do realize that the number of posts you have does absolutely NOTHING for you on this board...right? There is absolutely ZERO reason for people to "pad their post counts".

rants over.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Asik, Lin, Pick & Parsons for Melo is fine. But keep in mind, we still have holes that need to be filled. A upgrade at point is needed (Rondo, Lowry). We still need a quality bench with young players AND veterans. We need shooters that'll space the floor too. This team has serious holes to fill even with Melo. We can't go into next season thinking championship until these needs are addressed.

It was Morey who chased both JVG and Adelman off. Morey had already announced they were looking for a new coach apparently without telling JVG (JVG criticized them for this). Then he ran Adelman out of town because he wanted more control of the team. It was Adelman who wanted to stay. Morey made his mind up he wanted him gone before the season had ended. Both coaches left on bad terms

That's the thing, he's already said coaching doesnt make that much of a difference. He's also shown through his actions he doesn't value coaching that much over his analytics. I don't think he fully grasps the value of having a coach that can make in game adjustments, call set plays, and challenge certain players to play harder. Everything is about numbers and percentages. He's a good GM. But he needs to stop trying to be a celeb and get off twitter. Whens the last time we read a tweet from RC Buford? If so, is he on there ALL THE TIME?