1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Morey found a taker(s) for Jeremy Lin? (Speculation on possible deals)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2014.

1. basketballholic

I offered you several potential opportunities we have to move Lin. And I told you why I suspect Morey may have found a taker.

Offer up some reasonable logical explanation of why Lin can't/won't be moved. Otherwise, your post is a useless waste of bandwidth.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Nice tactic. You offer nothing reasonable, then demand that anyone who disagrees present a reasonable argument against your trash scenarios.

The arguments against Lin being moved are the reasonable ones -- he's not very good and is due a ton of money. That should clue most people in to the fact that there isn't a lot of room for discussion on this topic. But of course, you aren't most people.

3. basketballholic

- Clutch speaking of Asik and Lin

I'm comfortable hanging with Clutch on this one.

Explain why the Sacramento scenario is unreasonable.

Explain why the Philly scenario is unreasonable.

Explain why the Minnesota scenario is unreasonable.

Explain why the Utah scenario is unreasonable.

Explain why the Milwaukee scenario is unreasonable.

#143 basketballholic, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  4. basketballholic

Here's another one for your consideration.

Lin to Detroit.

Josh Smith to Utah.

For nothing.

Utah can't attract free agents. Smith is signed to a long-term deal. Utah has made it clear that Favors is their starting center. They've also made it clear they want more defense.

Yeah, I know....unreasonable, right?

5. basketballholic

By the way, on the subject of reasonable........

Last year the Utah Jazz traded $24,046,000 of their cap space for:

Golden State's 2014 first round pick: #23
    Golden State's 2017 first round pick: unprotected
    Golden State's 2016 second round pick
    Golden State's 2017 second round pick

Now that was Biedrins, Jefferson, and Brandon Rush...who contributed nothing on-court for Utah besides help them be really bad.

Now....here's some more unreasonableness. It was reported here (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/57592916-62/jazz-williams-chance-deal.html.csp) that the Jazz turned down a trade at the deadline for Williams that would have yeilded them a late first rounder in the 2014 draft. The reasoning given was that they hope to re-sign Marvin Williams this off season.

LOL. Put 2 and 2 together here. The Jazz were playing for the lottery all season. Now what playoff team was willing to give up their first rounder for Williams and what salary would they have sent out along with their #1 to get the deal done? And why didn't Utah do that deal? It's not like they couldn't sign Marvin back this summer. It's because they know they can still get that pick this summer.

Now...be reasonable about why Lin can't be moved.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Lin will be moved. Somehow, somewhere. There's always going to be a possibility.

The 76ers apparently want ammunition for their #10 pick, maybe get Utah's #5. They need a late first. Etc.

Something can be done.

I do think someone on the thread is getting a little righteous and long-winded about the subject, but oh well.

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

Lin + Asik + T jones for Chris Bosh and Mario Chalmers

8. fluors

fluors Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion via the eye test but I think statistics are useful too because they help eliminate emotion and personal bias. Below, I posted the stats for Jeremy Lin, Jeff Teague, Brandon Jennings, and Raymond Felton. The stats suggest that Jeremy Lin (our backup) is already a better PG than the three starters listed above (as basketballholic stated). Lin is a quality nba PG. The question (for me) is not whether he has value (he does); its how much value. Maybe the stats below can help shape the discussion about Morey and what he plans to do with Lin.

Statistic……Jeremy Lin….Jeff Teague…...Raymond FeltonBrandon Jennings

PPG………....………..12.5………….....……16.5……………..9.7................15.5
    FG%...................44.6………….....……43.8……….....39.5……............7.3
    TS%...................57.2…………….....…54.1……….....47.6...............48.6
    eFG………………....…50.8………….....….…47.4…………...44.6……………….44.1
    3pt%..................35.8……………......…32.9……….…..31.8..............33.7
    #Games…….…......71………………......'…79………..…….65…………..……..80
    MPG………………......28.9………………......32.2…………..31.0………………..34.1
    Usage………….….....20.2…………….....….25.3…………..18.2………………..23.2
    AST………………......…4.1………………......…6.7………….…5.6……….………..7.6
    TO………………….......2.5……………….......…2.9………….…2.0……..……….…2.7
    FT%...................82.3……………….......84.6…………..72.1..............75.1
    +/- (season)…....+2.4……………......….+1.5………….+0.4……………...…-2.3
    DefRtg…………......102.0………..….....…102.3………...106.9............108.1
    OffRtg…………….....107.2………….......…103.9……..….106.6…………....103.8
    DRPM………..… +0.28(18th of 87pg)....-0.84(32 of 87)….-1.23(42 of 87)….-4.37(85th of 87pgs)
    WAR……………....….+3.19…….......………+2.05……….+3.87……….…....-2.82
    Drives……………....….7.3……………........……9.9……….……5.2…………….….5.7
    PPG (Drives)….......4.2………………….........5.6……………2.7………………...3.0
    FG% (Drives).....…48.8……………….........42.1………..40.6…..…………..36.9

The DRPM and WAR taken from espn.com: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1
    PPG, FG%, 3pt%, FT%, Games, MPG (Minutes per game), AST, TO, and +/1 taken from nba.com: http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerGe...lters=MIN*GE*24&PlayerPosition=G&columnOrder=
    TS%, eFG, DefRtg, OffRtg and Usage also taken from nba.com: http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerGe...lters=MIN*GE*24&PlayerPosition=G&columnOrder=

9. fluors

fluors Member

EDIT: The FG% for Brandon Jennings is 37.3%. Sorry.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

Surprised no one mentions lakers as a taker for Lin or Asik, if they can't sign a big free agent like MELO they are Wayyy under the cap, they can use Lin & Asik as starters, Lin if they don't draft NBA starter ready PG

they have to be at least competitive this year & both contracts expire at the end of the year & can lock in bird rights

11. Play07

Play07 Member

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Basketball Insiders is just the new name for Hoopsworld AKA Poopsworld which is about the furthest thing away from a true insider as you can get. They've destroy all credibility they've probably never had so dont take anything they say with a grain of salt. It might as well just be from some random CF poster.

Could the Lakers be a destination that takes back Lin & Asik....???.. Sure, but any one of us could speculate that notion just by looking at their roster & salary cap space going into next year. Nice try Poopsworld, but no.

13. basketballholic

Lakers make sense on some level. However, the reason I didn't feel to list them is I feel like that is a real long shot. Lin and Asik aren't superstars. LA needs another superstar or two. If LA kept Lin and Asik then they're on the book with $12 million cap holds for next summer. So LAL will have to renounce at least one of those guys to sign a max free agent.

So.....if we can trade Lin and #25 and a future first rounder (in the 20's) and $3 million cash for cap space to another team

and

we know we can trade Asik for #10 or #11 which can then be converted to a future first (in the 10-20 range Lowry style)

then

the only trade that really makes sense to the Lakers would essentially be their pick at #7 (or perhaps they trade down with somebody else for a pick close to #9 to #11) for Asik and Lin, #25, and a future first rounder, and cash.

And then they'd have to renounce Lin next summer, sign a max free agent, and hopefully sign Asik to a reasonable long-term deal. And they they are essentially capped out for Kobe's farewell tour.

I think the chances of a deal to the Lakers are remote because Lakers need to be either really bad again this next season or they need to take a different tact.

I think a deal with Kyrie going to LAL is much more likely than Asik/Lin going there....especially if Kyrie turns down the Cavs max extension.

If the Lakers can acquire Kyrie and re-sign Pau to a reasonable $10-12 million per season deal then they've got the cap space to sign Love or Melo or LaMarcus or...Marc Gasol next summer and have a core of Kyrie, Kobe (on his farewell tour), Pau, whoever. And then with Kobe's retirement they can then go get Durant or somebody else.

Just can't see LA going for Asik/Lin right now. Perhaps if other factors fall in place...then I could see it.

Signed,

Righteous and long-winded ;)

#153 basketballholic, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I agree, but it depends a lot on who the Very Good players are. As far as that goes, we made the playoffs with Lin, without the 3&d.

15. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Nice way to address the issue in a reasonable manner. I prefer Lin over Teague and WAY over Brandon Jennings (another Dumars fail) and the stats seem to back that up. I'm not saying he's sliced bread. Just saying that he is better than a number of starting point guards in the NBA. In a different system that plays to his strengths I think he'd be even better.

In any case he'll be gone soon. I hope he doesn't cost the Rockets too many assets, and I hope he does really well wherever he goes (to continue the trend of the departing point guards doing well after leaving haha...).

16. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

So this thread is just speculation? I like how OP covers his basis, Morey either has a deal...or he doesn't. Very insightful.

Though he gets credit for avoiding getting relegated the random trade thread.

17. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

I dont see why the lakers wouldnt try and get lin & asik. Especially if they can resign them to more appropriate contracts after the 2014-15 season. Dont the lakers need to hit 90% of cap space and would expiring contracts be ideal?

18. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Quick question, the salary floor is based on salary cap, correct?

If so, no team is paying a player $15m to get closer to the cap floor. They are better just splitting the difference amongst their roster. Teams will only interested in the players themselves or the perks that may come with them. Expiring salaries will be of very little interest without other added incentives.

19. basketballholic

90% of the salary cap has to actually be paid out to the players by each team.

20. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I know. But would the $15m count towards the salary floor or only the cap number of $8.3m. If so they are better off without the trade. There is no real punishment to not reaching the salary floor as they would just spread the money to the rest of their roster. No point in a team paying an extra $7m when they don't have to