1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Science] Cosmic inflation: 'Spectacular' discovery hailed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BDswangHTX, Mar 17, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think B-Bob was trying to understand, and was being nice.

That's not me.

Your quote above in fundamentally flawed at the Unit of Measure level. Don't make me go B-Mode on your ass. B-Bob was being nice to you; I know, because there is a certain way how physicists like him capture (via many conversations) how to communicate their nerdiness.

coffee shop...anyone

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We is descended from fish peoples.

3. heypartner

Ah,

Emotional crest

Intellectual impotence

I see where you are coming from

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

Brilliant retort.... and just short of two days too.... but, I'll have to deduct points for blatant plagiarism....

Now, I'm sure when you submitted your reply you felt prouder than when you presented the baking soda volcano as an "original" idea to the science fair in your sophomore year.... after the loss of your marbles dashed any hope of producing a stellar model of the solar system... but, you'll just have to learn to live with the facts of your incompetent reality....

5. heypartner

Of course, because I simply used your words against you...and got you to call it "Brilliant."

You do see that I actually used your exact same words. I did. On purpose. I planned out you being so dumb to supply me with your own words.

And you called in Brilliant? I didn't expect that.

Who's got next

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a science thread -- why are people responding to religious issues that belong in the D&D?

1 person likes this.
  7. heypartner

I like turtles

Is there a turtle thread that I can go to.

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

Evidently... you do.... In fact, I'm starting to wonder if you've been replying to me at all....

Heyp, see a doctor... I hate to see this happen to people...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/A6TDelNxjWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just got back to this topic...yeah I need to do some rereading.

I was just sitting here for the past 10 minutes or so trying to think about whether space definitely exists. It has always struck me as odd how there is so much "space" between particles and entities within space. By that I mean stuff like the obscenely large distance between an electron and its nucleus. Maybe we just don't really understand the geometry of our space.

Anyhow, that led me to Google and I found out there is a new geometric way of looking at particle interactions thru a structure called an amplitudehedron. Do you know anything about it B-Bob or is it something outside of your wheelhouse?

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I can has mermaidz?

Here is Kenya with one of the fish peoples:

[​IMG]

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This is my Uncle Jorge...:eek:

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have not heard of amplitudehedron. I have to really emphasize what a nuts, bolts, and wrenches physicist I am, so I should not be considered any expert on the theory.

I can follow some of it and am a sort of enthusiast who is lucky enough to work with some smart astrophysics theory types.

I do know of something called Bell's Inequality (also Bell's theorem or paradox), by which quantum theory obviously has to violate something we call locality. Locality is actually very simple for a non-scientist to grasp, and it's something we actually take as a sacred understanding of our physical world.

Locality is the idea that one event or object must be adjacent to another event or object to influence it directly, and failing that, if there is a distance between A&B, that information must move from A to influence B and that this takes some amount of time.

Quantum theory violates locality at a fundamental level, if we take quantum theory as the truth. (This is via Bell's Theorem). So following this (seemingly insane) logic, we can really start to question the nature of our understanding of space, the distance between two objects or events.

Also, :eek:.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I guess that violation is thru quantum entanglement. Is that correct? That was why I was wondering if space really existed. If quantum entanglement exists then how can things at different regions in space interact with one another immediately. I really wish I had a better base in math so I could understand the mathematics behind it all. I'm sure that would help make more sense of things.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

15. B-Bob

Yes, entanglement is the central example used to illustrate the fundamental "problem." Thanks for the video. I'll try to watch it this weekend.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Basically, it was an experiment by Aaron O'Connell that showed how a visible object can be put into quantum superposition. It's a few years old now, but still just cool to think about.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

How would one travel across the multiverse?

[​IMG]

19. B-Bob

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is like the loose wire and the faster than light neutrino screw up.