1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Apr 29, 2014.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If he has good IQ and similar upside, we may be lucky to obtain him.
    I never thought Green would be able to succeed after he was cut from the Rockets, but he has done well with the Suns.

2. ironariza

ironariza Member

most of ncaa pts disapeared in NBA

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

4. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

5. basketballholic

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's going to have to re -work that shot in NBA or he'll have issues getting it off against long armed wings.

7. basketballholic

yeppers

8. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

KJ looks like he'll be a nice fit for HOU's run and gun offense, but once that ball slows down he will struggle with our half court offense.

I like Adrian Payne way more than him.

9. haoafu

That's an area he's showing improvement, but it's probably why he's not in lottery range.

He does need to release quicker and smoother. His athleticism is off the chart, so he should still be able to get separation on jump shots or slash to the basket.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Agree.... it is all about luquidity.

Sometimes you don't just see a spent draft pick become a lesser trade asset, sometimes they become a liability (Royce White).

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Put me on the McDaniels bandwagon.
    Looks like he would be a great future fit. Good finisher on the break, great FT shooter. His FT shooting has increased every season - one would have to think that, with practice, he could become a good 3 point shooter?
    His mechanics aren't broken.

Hard to find the guys who have that defensive instinct in them. Much easier to rep 3s in the gym all day than teach someone how to defend.

He could be something of a Kawhi Leonard as a pro? (Leonard shot 19 and 27% from downtown at college, 37% every year as a pro).

Draft him, send him to the Vipers, and he'll get plenty of practice throwing up 3s.

12. haoafu

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz31tU3pNBm

13. haoafu

I think KJ should be fine in half court, but Adrian Payne looks like a pretty good prospect as well. Many of this year's late first round players(even a couple projected second rounders) could be lottery picks in an average draft.

14. ironariza

ironariza Member

check the video draft combine day1 aprt1

Thanasis vs KJ

you will know what I knew

15. haoafu

I like KJ doesn't mean Thanasis is a bad player. Check my posts and I mentioned him as a decent prospect with good defensive potential.

In many other drafts, both of them would likely be first round picks(or even lottery picks in weaker drafts).

16. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I would rather pick Thanasis antetokounmpo at a late second round. Thanasis will be a lock down 3D player

17. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

KJ improved a lot, and shoots well in free throw and spot up 3 situations. Where does Thanasis's "3" come from?

I wouldn't mind picking Thanasis in second round, but it's just for his D and athletic potential for future improvement.

18. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Think I would rather have Cleanthony Early from Wichita State or Mutch McGary from Michigan! I have seen mocks with both of them going right about where we are drafting! If we trade Asik it should be McGary, if not then I am taking Early!

19. RightToCensor

RightToCensor Member

If we were to draft Napier expect Lin to be gone. Napier reminds me of a smaller Kemba, Lin would not be missed if he were to be replaced with Shabazz.

20. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

I don't think you guys understand, we're in win-now mode. To waste a pick of this magnitude on a project would be horrible.....

McDaniels is quite easily the most NBA ready defender we could get. His IQ and athleticism is off the charts. Doesn't fall for pumpfakes and his instincts are amazing. He'd come in and do more for us than anybody else on these late round mocks.

Why do people want future starters? Or high potential guys? We need players who can come in and contribute immediately.