1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the 2014 Houston Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2014.

?

Rate the Texans 2014 NFL Draft

Poll closed Jun 9, 2014.
  1. A+

9.2%
  2. A

28.0%
  3. A-

26.9%
  4. B+

17.1%
  5. B

8.4%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C

2.6%
  8. D

0.9%
  9. F

2.3%
  10. Abstain, courteously

2.3%
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Texans fans should know this...

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, the Texans vs Pats playoff game was a clear example. They knew where our injuries were, they knew we were starting an ILB off the couch, and they hit us there over and over again.

People like to point to Brady as the reason for BB's success, but the real question is does Brady become Brady without BB? I think not.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

BB gets more out of his players than anyone...half of the starters on his team are average players, or scrubs off the streets, and he still manages to get them to go up against the best.

As far as the draft is concerned, anyone giving a score of B or lower for the draft is delusional. This was an incredible draft for the Texans. Read up on every major site that does their draft grades, 9 out of 10 give them an A or A-. That's an incredible feat for a team that has been swinging and missing for a while now.

I can understand giving a score of B+...but if those are the standards, then I'd only say that 2-3 teams in the entire NFL got an A- or higher. I think the Texans most definitely had a top 5 draft in the NFL, which should give them at least an A- if you're grading on a curve here.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Didn't we play them twice that year....??? So we should have known what was coming the 2nd time around, but we didn't.

It's all about the situation... The same can probably be said about Joe Montana and Steve Young.... DEFINITELY Steve Young. Same can be said about Rodgers.

But I think Brady would have been good regardless of were he ended up... Don't know if he would be a super bowl champ though.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is that what happened in Cleveland?

Rocket River

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the last 40 years, the Browns have had more than 10 wins only 3 times....one of those was under BB.

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

So obtuse... we aren't one whole DRAFT away from being the division champs again, let alone those three positions. If we had drafted the #1 position rated player in a position of need for us in each round, we'd still have holes. You seem to be upset that we didn't select one particular player or position, but to assume that anyone who rated this draft highly thinks we've punched our ticket to an AFC South championship already is insulting to our intelligence.

By the way, I voted A-

8. Remii

Remii Member

Upset _ no... Worried _ yes...

And some fans feel differently than you. That's why I made that statement. It wasn't to insult anyone. My apologies if you took it that way. But I hope the fans who do feel that way are right.

And I also give my grade on how our draft stacks up to other team's drafts within our division and how we can compete within our division.

9. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'm not sure what you are arguing about, but Brady and BB go hand in hand as all time greats. I don't think you can separate one from the other and say one made the other.

The also goes back to trying to rebuild the Patriot way. Cannot be done without BB and Brady. I'm not sure if BOB is hopeing to get lightning in a bottle and duplicate with Savage. Guess time will tell.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We didn't trade up like we wanted and we ended up with our 3rd choice (at best) at QB.

Other than Clowney and maybe Nix, we didn't really get anyone with a high ceiling. Odd for a team that is rebuilding. We can always pick up average starters through free agency.

Sticking to the C+ grade here.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

LOL high ceilings are attributed to skill position players.

XSF-has been compared to Ben Grubbs(great guard for the Saints)!

CJF-same athletic ability as Gronk.

Hal-third round grade by many scouts.

Savage-best arm in the draft, highly recruited coming out of school, horrible line at Pitt an didn't get gun shy(id say ability to make throws and not afraid to step in throws constitutes high upside).

You don't typically hit home runs with late picks.

Most scouts gave us a top 5 draft in the league. I'd say you are playing
    Devil's advocate right now.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

High ceiling picks

Clowney
    Nix
    Su'a-Filo
    Savage
    Hal
    Prosch

Out of them Clowney, Nix, Su'a-Filo, and Prosch have a good shot at being top 5 in the NFL at their position. Hal has potential to be a very good slot corner (which is a high ceiling for a 7th rounder). Savage has a high ceiling as well and could end up being a solid starter.

At least 5 instant starters and potentially as many as many as 7 by the end of the first year....that's a pretty awesome draft.

13. Mr. Clutch

Same athletic ability as Gronk is laughable.

XSF- nice player but not a premium position. No chance he can move to tackle.

Hal is small and doesn't even have elite speed.

Savage you can argue at least has an elite arm.

14. Mr. Clutch

Prosch? He's just a blocker and special teamer.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Check out the combine.

Similar splits.

Guard is a premium position for running the ball/preventing interior pressure.

Hal shutdown the 2nd rounder moncreif.

Savage has an elite arm.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He has the potential to be a top 5 FB in the NFL....a big part of what FB's do is "just blocking" although he has potential being a receiving threat as well.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Half of the offense is just blocking...

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

More than half if your team has Kevin Walter as a WR.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Go 11-5 with Matt Cassel?

20. TheDreamShake83

I don't think that the Texans are truly rebuilding. The Astros have been rebuilding and we are not on that level. We had a crazy amount of injuries accompanied with one of the worst QB seasons ever last year. I know we won't be great however I think we are somewhere in the middle.