1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Johnny Football the Pick We Are Missing?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

Yea, none of these players are elite. Not yet. Clowney has much to prove as does Johnny Football. I'm ok with the Texans taking who they thought was the best player in the draft.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

[​IMG]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Browns president Alec Scheiner told <a href="https://twitter.com/darrenrovell">@darrenrovell</a> that, in 12 hours after Johnny Manziel was selected, team sold more than 1,500 season tix.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/464796679485784064">May 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

4. Remii

Remii Member

So do you mean Brees :confused:

My point is that it doesn't matter what the rest of the world thinks. Just what the team that drafts a particular player thinks.

Everyone in Texas thinks Blake Bortles sucks. But the Jags think differently. I don't know how it will work out but if you don't have a quarterback you will be forever treading water and giving a fan base false hope.

5. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

So it took Johnny Football being picked to sell season tickets in Cleveland? We always sell out at Reliant. That's why Cleveland is lame and sucks.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Reaching for a player is just a matter of opinion. In this case your opinion. How many super bowl rings you got....???

The experts said Carolina reached for Cam. Mel and Todd talked about Cam like a dog. But Carolina did what they thought was best and not what the media thought was best and it's working out fine.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

That money sign is just a thing him and his crew do. He's not going to be getting big paychecks if he doesn't play well. Its not big guarenteed money like it use to be.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Just like it was always a sale out for the Oilers :confused:

9. Remii

Remii Member

He already has money.... The money sign is probably because he landed with Gordon and Jordan and a team with a great defense in a division that's up for grabs... With a young innovative offensive coordinator.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's been 12 straight years of sellouts for a franchise that's only made the playoffs twice and has had two 2-14 seasons.

Reliant will always be sold out. We don't need to draft anyone to "sell tickets".

11. Remii

Remii Member

I never said they did. But if they don't get it together _ with the history of this fan base, I seriously doubt they will ALWAYS sale out.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its all football all the time in houston.

13. Remii

Remii Member

I repeat _ just like it was with the Oilers...???

This is a high school and college football state. It's only a matter of time before the new car smell wears off if they don't get it together.

1 person likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I hope they take those r****ded ass billboards down : "Keep Johnny Football in Texas!"

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know if he'll have a lot of success or not. I've don't think I've said he's a sure bet to have tremendous success. But, he might be successful. And I will certainly tune in an watch him every time he's on TV. I'm curious to see how he will perform, and no one can deny he's not an exciting player. Furthermore, you also will be watching him. You are just as obsessed with Johnny as the next guy, just look how many times you have posted comments about him the last few days.

I also don't see a lot of hate for the guy. I know some Longhorn fans don't like him, but I think most people who aren't even Aggies love to watch the guy. I think a lot of guys respect what he was able to do in college, and he has an interesting story. Being snubbed by the Longhorns, and then winning the Heisman as a freshman is a compelling story.

Who knows if he will be a good NFL QB? But, everyone will be watching.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If Manziel succeeds in the NFL, he will be going against almost every established precedent of what makes a successful QB.

1) He is short
    2) He is young
    3) He has a small number of starts
    4) He played in a pew-pew spread offense
    5) He is going to a completely inept franchise

He's compelling, but I can't hold it against anyone for betting against him at the NFL level.

(And that's not even counting the predominant opinion of him as a party boy who is afraid of film study)

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

LOL:

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel experienced quite the draft day slide, sitting in the green room at Radio City Music Hall till the second half of the first round. So why were teams, and teams who needed quarterbacks, not taking Manziel, a quarterback that could sell tickets and bring excitement to an organization?

From Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman:

“He was paying for being a cocky *******,” said one AFC scout.

But even if he was a cocky *******, which wouldn’t necessarily be breaking news, teams passed up the opportunity to draft a playmaker who would sell a lot of tickets. Another NFL scout told Freeman that Manziel was a product of the media hype machine, much like another quarterback named Tim Tebow.

“You guys in the media made him,” said an NFC scout. “He’s a media creation.”

1 person likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So now you're naming a player who was not only drafted late, but had been given up on by the team that drafted him initially after 4-5 years. Shows you how much of a crap-shoot this really is, huh?

Yes, you need a "good" QB to win in this league (even though a truly "elite" QB hasn't won a SB since 2011)... but simply drafting a QB in the first round guarantees nothing. Jacksonville should know that, same goes for Tennessee.

You have to trust the talent evaluators of all these teams that all saw the same thing in Manziel, including the team that ultimately drafted him... that he wasn't really worth a top pick in the draft.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I also don't blame anyone for betting against him. But the reason people want to watch him, is that so far he has been able to overcome all the doubters. He played well against SEC defenses, he won a Heisman as a freshman, he seems to be able to overcome obstacles place before him. I'm not making any predictions on his success, I'm only saying that he will continue to be the most watched player in all of football.

While I'm not placing any bets on Johnny to succeed, I'm sure not going to bet on him to fail either. He has proven people wrong in the past, and he might do it again.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But its a pro city. College football doesn't register as much in Houston as the rest of Texas. Its all about pro football here.

The Texans just came off a 2-14 season and were talked about MORE throughout the season, post-season/off-season (basically been a YEAR-round story), than any of their successful years.

Combine that with the NFL's ever-growing popularity and its no longer a "novelty" act as to why the Texans are this city's most talked about team.

I like the fact that Cleveland sold 1500 new season tickets.... meanwhile the waiting list just to apply for Texans Season tickets was about that long going into last year (and won't be much different for this year).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.