1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hi McHale, Did you watch how spurs defeated the blazers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tangwentao, May 7, 2014.

1. GoooooRockets!

not necessarily true.. who knows if morey won't read all this

2. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Gotta give props to SA. Year after year they get it done. This may finally be their year to win it all. I hope they do since we're out and I really hope Mchale and crew are watching and learning.

3. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Man spurs are the anti-Rockets on offense. So much ball movement, and also player movement without the ball. Even when they are running a set play for someone, you see everyone in motion. Its beautiful to watch.

On defense, they have the length to contain Aldridge, and they are making Lilliard work on defensive end and that's why he isn't that unstoppable anymore.

Also they key: Spurs have the Ref's respect because they play good defense. You saw how many times Aldridge bumped into defender to draw contact and they didn't call it? He was getting that call all series long against us.

Oh and everybody rebounds for them. We gave them so many offensive rebounds/second chance points and that killed us. The problem is, Blazers are a jump shooting team and thats why most of their rebounds are long. So the guards have to help out on the board. Spurs are doing that.

And ofcourse, Pop is the best coach in basketball right now.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The Spurs swap out players more than I do on 2k14.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Thanks for this! I'm suggesting that the MAFFLs do one like it only with them tying the anvil to Mark Cuban's leg...

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That helps when it comes to winning a title, but it doesn't justify losing in the first round to a young Portland team that hasn't been together all that long either. And remember, our core of Harden, Lin, Parsons, Asik, Bev, D-Mo, Jones, and Garcia were all here BEFORE Dwight arrived. Exactly how much time do they need before they can start winning more than 2 games in the postseason every year?

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I recall us saying these exact words about Portland after games 1-2.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As much time as it takes to learn how to play defense on their man.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It doesn't take long at all. The Rockets were a dominant defensive team in a matter of weeks after Van Gundy got here. And that was virtually the same roster that Rudy had a year earlier, so obviously the improvement didn't have anything to do with personnel moves.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So if Mchale coached the spurs they would beat Portland? Do yourself a favor and think about what your saying.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Robin Lopez said it best in his postgame: "With Houston, there wasn't any -- not that much pressure on defense. And offensively, they focused a lot more on isolation game, whereas San Antonio's swinging the ball."

12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That quote makes me physically ill.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

That Popovich, you know, I wonder, I always wondered how does he always get his ducks to line up like that? I tell you I got nothin..

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Sobering, right? This team is talented but SO fundamentally flawed, and I'm not certain I see that changing anytime soon.

15. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Change in culture which is only going to happen on the coaching front. A real defensive task master as well as a coach who has solid offensive Xs and Os skills. Not happening anytime soon....

16. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Not just McHale, the Rockets should watch as a team with the coach to see how the Spurs demolished the Blazers, probably in 4 or 5 games. It is team ball and defense. Not ISO after ISO, particularly those from inefficient Harden. It is amazing Pop can recycle even a journeyman like marco belinelli or rejects like Danny Green into star like players, and make their oldie players playing productive & efficient bb. McHale should be ashamed of himself.

17. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

We failed to advance because we had far & few pnr. Looking at the Spurs and the pnrs make you wonder why our dummy coach never exploit this unique strength we have. Harden, Lin, Howard, even Parsons are very good pnr players and yet we run inefficient ISOs after ISOs in the playoff without the coach demanding the players to play more pnr. If he had done that, Harden would not have such low low efficient games and we would have won the series.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

QFT..

19. vernonmaxwell11

agreed

20. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Les and Morey should listen to this to know why he cannot win a championship with McHale as coach. Why waste our talents and another year of frustration when it is so evident that even a player on the Blazer can see?