1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Gossip] Donald Sterling Hates the Blacks, Including Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by percicles, Apr 26, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

can you back this up?

if true, sterling is done.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

haha yep....

funny how Shaq is leading the charge to kick Sterling out, yet I remember him making some very racist remarks towards Yao.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not at all.

5. torocan

torocan Member

The ethical business dealings clause is broader than that. They don't have to limit it to his business dealings with the Clippers, they are permitted to include ALL his business dealings including his real estate transactions.

If Sterling was operating a child labor camp, that would fall under the umbrella of unethical business dealings.

Cuban's and similar owners will mainly be concerned about clarity in future ouster attempts. That's something that can be separately negotiated without impairing the action towards Sterling.

Sterling would most likely lose an anti-trust action as there is already an existing precedent in terms of the Sherman Act (anti-trust code) regarding issues where there is industry-wide liability involved.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...a-simple-option-for-donald-sterling-1.7866649

In other words, if you have sufficient evidence to argue that the actions of Sterling have created liability for the entire league (not hard to prove in this case), anti-trust precedent provides for an exception to anti-trust law.

That other owners have shared behavior to Sterling is irrelevant in this case, what matters is that the information was not made public and as such is NOT damaging to the NBA at large.

In other words, the other 29 teams have the legal right to protect themselves from damage caused by Sterling's tape in the name of self-preservation.

In terms of disclosure of the proceedings, that won't be an issue. The first thing that the NBA will do is move to have the court proceedings sealed to ensure that there is no leak of confidential NBA information. Similarly, Sterling will agree to this for ONE simple reason... there is 100 hours of tape in existence and in such a trial it is 100% guaranteed that the NBA would seek out those tapes.

The revelations of the content of those tapes would be even MORE devastating to Sterling, and not just in terms of his dealings with the NBA. Given the wide variety of law suits he would have ongoing in a concern of his size, the potential lawsuits and liability, and existing business affiliations, allowing those tapes to enter the public record would be like cutting his own throat.

As for the forced sale of the asset, if the NBA operates a proper bidding process (multiple bidders), then there will be no argument for "fire sale". As long as there is a reasonable number of bids involved, any argument against sale under reduced value would be uphill at best and most likely lead to a loss.

Wrong. The NBA fighting Sterling for a prolonged court battle actually enhances the image of the NBA. The longer the fight goes, the more it can be presented as the NBA's willingness to do whatever is necessary to purge Sterling.

As for Sterling's family, there is actually a significant negative financial incentive. Should Sterling fight for ownership in a prolonged court battle, then what free agent, GM or coach would be willing to sign to a contract with the Clippers? And for what? To own a team that they can NEVER run due to the life time ban? To own a team that a national sponsor will NEVER touch as long as he lives?

He would be better off taking the money and running.

Legally incorrect. You can't protest an action initiated by one piece of evidence without admitting the relevance of that evidence.

1 person likes this.
  6. rudan

rudan Member

And he makes fun of handicap people...........

7. Carl Herrera

The NBA is likely well aware of the litigation risks, but has decided to proceed anyway. My sense is that even if the NBA loses a lawsuit, it is still beneficial that the league at least tried to publicly separates itself from Sterling.

Also, even if Sterling wins a lawsuit, he may still face even more consequences as the team loses fans, sponsors and maybe even coaches and players. The latter is more tricky as those guys are under contract and may have a lot of $ to lose if they refuse to work. This is probably where the "make all Clippers free agents" option comes in, but that option is extremely messy.

In any case, even if Sterling gets to keep the franchise as a legal contractual matter, he'll end up with a damaged franchise.

8. Carl Herrera

The NBA is likely well aware of the litigation risks, but has decided to proceed anyway. My sense is that even if the NBA loses a lawsuit, it is still beneficial as a financial matter that the league at least tried to publicly separates itself from Sterling.

Also, even if Sterling wins a lawsuit, he will still face even more co sequences as the team loses fans, sponsors and maybe even coaches and players. The latter is more tricky as those guys are under contract and may have a lot of $ to lose if they refuse to work. This is probably where the "make all Clippers free agents" option comes in, but that option is extremely messy.

9. noone

noone Rookie

It's a private conversation and reprehensible as Sterling is it's still LA. I think Sterling will win this and David Silver will back down. The media will back down too. I've been reading the comment sections on foreign media outlets and 95% of them think it's a private conversation that has no business in the public. This opinion will break through to the american public especially with a lawsuit. Sterling is a former lawyer and cutthroat manager. He could have tapes of nba personalities saying even dumber stuff.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's by far not worst thing he's done. I know racists pretty well and how they think and I see this guy is 81 and he's got this youngish, cosmetically butchered, girl friend. He doesn't want her showing him up by showcasing more proper suitors that could satisfy her in bed. He went about it angrily in the conversation and probably used "race" to cover up his insecurities with his appearance due to age and current health. Not to say that Sterling isn't racist, it's just that in that situation you can clearly see he was trying to use race and other bs to cover up for the fact that he doesn't like her showing him up because he's a very old fart.

The worst thing this guy did was the 'slumlord' part. A guy that took away proper housing and employment opportunities on the basis of race. He's been doing this for awhile, so we can speculate that him and those like him in positions of power created and sustained some of the worst ghettos in Los Angeles and other cities in America.

11. noone

noone Rookie

I don't know he's probably not as racist as the justice department says he is and he's kind of a lovable racist elderly pervert. Public opinion might end up supporting him.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He had his wife drive around their properties making sure their tenants were of the correct race/ethnicity renting the specific property. That's pretty bad.

13. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

There is no way this will happen. His racist rant against Pacquaio killed any chance of that.

14. roe4christ

roe4christ Member

15. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

So the whole family is deemed racist? Guilt by association...

16. Doktor Mndbndr

Well, as I suggested previously, if the political rulers who made political correctness and enforce political correctness want to put the fix in, this guy is done.

Sterling's a made man, but only at the local level. You see these vultures like the Guggenheims circling his assets, he's out.

It doesn't matter that they do not have a legal basis to get rid of him. The owners vote to disenfranchise isn't even relevant, because no way that shet would hold in court in normal times (unless they put the fix in, which they could).

The exact text of the owners agreement doesn't matter, the legal system won't uphold disproportionate punishment of the sort (forcibly divesting a guy of $1 billion dollar business over a private conversation that isn't even illegal in any way.)

But you could put in a judge who will choose the legal principle that justifies the fix. And if they go that route, they probably will. Corrupt judges who want to can rule any which way have a lot of leeway, in reality, because in any case there are usually multiple conflicting principles that apply.

17. Doktor Mndbndr

Exactly. The NBA won't even allow the transfer of assets to his family, with him entirely out of the picture. Because the fix is in.

18. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

Mob mentality wins again.

19. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

I am so happy a bunch of millionaires can sleep better at night knowing they are not discriminated against.

It takes him saying to his mixed gf that he doesn't want her associate with Magic Johnson to make all this happen, but his past dealings are ignored.

Cry me a river....

I really don't know if I want to watch basketball anymore. Perhaps I can concentrate on my engineering studies better or get one of those girlfriend things so I can get stabbed in the back.

20. Doktor Mndbndr

It's not mob mentality. The masses do nothing.

The political fix is above even the NBA owners level, at the mass media level, court level. Donald Sterling doesn't care what the masses think. He probably doesn't care if Clippers profits drop from, let's say $70 million a year to $10 million a year. I bet this guy has at least $100 million in liquid assets, in additional to his real estate and Clippers holdings. If you make it a test of wills with him, he's not gonna back down. He doesn't even care.

It's the political rulers who would crowbar him out. This guy's apparently only first generation wealth. He has only small time protection. But he done effed out, and now the bigs are gonna take his assets.