1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I would like to hear the board's opinion on the Sterling situation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ross84, Apr 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SacTown

SacTown Member

Cliven Bundy said muchn worse IMO

2. Mr. Space City

the NAACP did know but the NAACP is funded by the jewish. seeing how sterling is jewish, i wouldn't be surprised if he paid them off for positive publicity.

3. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Man reading this board is eye opening. Never mind, it's not. Looks like a lot of the fans of this team are racist. I'm not surprised though. He got what he deserved but the NBA didn't do it for the right reasons. He is being blacklisted because the NBA wants the black dollar. They saw all the sponsors pulling out and saw the bottom line dropping. That's all they care about. As for all the people posting on this board, thanks for showing your true colors.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I don't condone his actions, but this is being blown way out of proportions. I wonder if the league had a hand in doing this to help their image/ratings? Like I mentioned before. When you listen to the tape, she's provoking him. Maybe she acted alone, who knows.

I've met a lot of racist people and have been the victim of racism, but you learn to shrug it off and move on. What someone personally thinks or feels shouldn't matter to strangers.

5. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

P.S., do some research on the NAACP. That's a fake organization that really has noting to do with black people. Check on who founded it and why it was really started. Nothing is as it seems.

6. Throttle

Throttle Member

yes it sounded pre-meditated & purposeful. Apparently shes being for embazzlement by the sterlings, so shes getting back at him?

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

... and threads!

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

Sterling got a raw deal.

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

Silver just showed Obama how it's done.

10. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Have Jesse Jackson and Obama said anything yet? I'll be surprised if they haven't.

11. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

So these comments are among the most egregious examples of apathy towards injustice that you've come across?

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agreed! That was the point I was originally trying to make. There are probably thousands of audio tapes on players out at clubs or wherever saying all kinds of racist, bigoted or sexist stuff. If someone decides to sell that to TMZ, what is the league going to do now? Imagine if Lebron is at a club and says to some girl, "Shut the F up you stupid, white B!" and she records it, what is the league going to do???

Or let's think about if Kobe Bryant were to get accused of rape by some woman in Colorado and have a long drawn out trial? Should the fact that Kobe was publicly accused of rape (which is about as awful of an accusation as you can get and FAR worse than being outed as a racist) cause Kobe to be banned from the league for life due to the "potential backlash?" According to their rules, Kobe should never have stepped foot on the court after that even though he wasn't found guilty because of the image it has left on the league. I know a TON of people who are still soured on the NBA for the things they have overlooked and quit going to games and paying attention. Ultimately, something is amiss in this situation and frankly I hope it does backlash on the league.

13. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Jesse Jackson said in an interview that they have to deal with him harshly (this is comments before todays news that hes gonna be banned and fined).

Obama said an another interview that he has faith the NBA will deal with it properly and that racism shouldn't be tolerated in this society etc. etc.

14. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i agree with mark cuban it sets a dangerous precedent and creates a slippery slope.

for example:
    the owner of the orlando magic doug devos makes financial contributions to anti-gay marriage organizations.

where is the line drawn?

i do agree with the punishment though, it just kind of opens pandora's box.

15. Classic

Classic Member

Did you listen to the entire conversation? Just curious.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Apparently Sterling has a history as a real "low life" owner, but if we had private conversations of many prominent people from politicians to movie stars we would be utterly shocked at the things that are said on a regular basis. Privacy is disappearing. That should be a real concern. On the other hand, his comments were despicable. I don't think anyone should be recorded without their permission, but, to be certain, be careful what you say.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The line is drawn when enough of the NBA's sponsors, players and fans react negatively to Sterling and the thing hits the NBA's financial bottom line.

There are other owners whose political position offend some of the NBA's customers and partners, but in today's environment, Sterling's statements are deemed to be more offensive than, say, anti-gay marriage views and more people react more harshly to Sterling than to other owners' actions.

The line isn't drawn strictly or even primarily in terms of moral right or wrong, but in terms of dollars.

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

why didn't they just make racism a crime? just curious.

19. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

this! rights necesitate respnsibility..remember that..

20. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

suddenly i remember Shaq's ching chung rant against Yao prior their first matchup