1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zelda: A link to the past vs Ocarina of time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Apr 28, 2014.

?

Which one do you think is better

Poll closed May 12, 2014.
  1. A Link to the Past

25 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Ocarina of Time

54 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. BonziWellsGOAT

I never played Windwaker. The only one I had played from start to finish was OoT until I got a LTTP on an emulator about a month ago and played through it. So I cant really talk about the other games.

DD

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Windwaker was great as well. I have the original on GameCube but never managed to beat it. I got all the way to the last boss and just gave up. :(

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Windwaker was a good game, but it marked the first time the series stepped backwards in terms of the audience it was going after. The decreased difficulty and radical new art style, both attempts at capturing the next, younger generation of Zelda fans, put off a lot of long-time fans of the series. Ironically, for all the heat the game got over it's "kiddie" revamp... the art style remains probably the best in the history of the series. The game looks just as good today as it did 12 years ago. The one bad thing from the WW is that the series never seemed to stop the trend it created of "dumbing down" the series in terms of difficulty.

4. Classic

Classic Member

Time to dust off the ole moded Xbox w my SNES emulator; y'all lured me in to playing LttP--never had

5. BonziWellsGOAT

A 16-bit masterpiece

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I enjoyed Twilight Princess & am enjoying Skyward Sword, though they are definitely different. Part of it the Wii, and the other part is they didn't want to get stuck with the same story line every time.

Never played it (aside from the demo on the collector's edition). The Graphics were a complete turnoff. I didn't have interest in it until recently, but don't want to spend money a technically old game. Downloaded an emulator version, and will hopefully start it soon.

In OoT, you know you need to go see the Deku Tree. You walk over towards it, and you are told you need a sword & a shield. Finding the shield is easy, since it is in the store. Finding the sword isn't much different than finding the secret entrance to the castle in LTTP.

OoT gives you instructions for just about everything, especially since Navi will give you hints.

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I went ahead and got SuperGNES, sitting at my desk playing Final Fantasy - Mystic Quest. No doubt the worst of the FF series, but I've beaten 1, 2 and 3 so many times that I thought I'd start with something else. It's definitely bringing back some memories. I definitely stocked up on RPG's. Probably play LTTP next.

Now I need to find a good NES emulator so I can play FF 1 sometime, as well as the original Zelda. I downloaded one, but when I went to download the ROM's I had a lot of trouble. I tried downloading them to my computer, and then transferring, but couldn't get it to work. Is there one out there as easy as SuperGNES?

8. Classic

Classic Member

You know after I posted that I realized what game this was. Oh yeah, freakin great game. I must have played that thing solid for about 3 years as a kid mixed with some NBA Live & various others.

I knew there was one game I had not played in the series and realized I was thinking of this:
    [​IMG]
    Any good?

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Zelda Link's Awakening was on simple black and white Gameboy. Made way before Ocarina. And didnt even have lots of the classic "Hyrule" elements. Don't even think it was developed by the in-house Nintendo team. And was still a good fun game.

I havent even tried to play any Zeldas after Ocarina. I knew I was going out on top. But enough time has passed and I'll attempt to finish the catalog

10. droopy421

droopy421 Member

You obviously haven't played the sadistic abomination that is Adventure of Link. I have never struggled so hard on a game in my childhood than that one. Finally beat it a few years ago on PC thanks to save states.

11. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I loved Windwaker! I got the Windwaker HD when I purchased Wii U. They really improved on some of the flaws of the game and looks great.

I try to play all the Zelda games but have yet to finish any of the ones on Wii and have never played any of them on 3DS. I bought Twilight Princess but have not got around to playing it yet.

12. BonziWellsGOAT

I have an Xbone but im thinking about getting a Wii U to play some classic nintendo games and the new releases of Zelda.

Should I get the Wii U for that or would a 3DS do just fine?

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm half way through Wind Waker HD (have been since November some time, back log of games...I need to get back to it, it's beautiful), I really like it but it's no Ocarina of Time for me. I also really enjoyed the artistic style of Twilight Princess (yeah yeah more mature take etc etc), and I really hope they will get back to that. I even liked Skyward Sword's take more, but I do understand what they were going for. (Again, Wind Waker HD is verrrry pretty, it's aged well)

That's a tough question, the 3DS is a great system (wife loves her's -- I got a Vita to pair with my PS4 otherwise I'd have one as well). It really comes down to whether or not you want a home console or you want a portable one. If you want portable get the 3DS, if not get the Wii U there are a lot of great games coming out this year. I don't think we'll be seeing Zelda Wii U until 2015 unfortunately, I hope I'm wrong.

[Side note: to complicate matters, the Zelda 3DS game is great.]

14. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah I'm gonna go get a 3ds sl after work. I hear great things about a link between two worlds. The only thing that bums me out is that they dont have SNES games on the 3ds virtual console :( but they have a revamped version of OoT :grin:

15. BonziWellsGOAT

Anyone have any recommendations for classic games on the 3ds eshop? I bought a 3DS XL last night and i got a hard copy of a link between worlds. I want to get some classic nintendo games. So far i have super mario bros 3

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ocarina of time! Duh!
    Star fox.
    Mario RPG if they have it. Metroid Fusion (again if available)

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking about getting a 3DS XL but I'm worried it will be too small for my hands. Do you have that problem?

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I have pretty big hands (6'1), you should be fine.
    I wouldn't get the smaller one though, due to screen size alone if nothing else.

19. BonziWellsGOAT

Not really. I also have big hands and long fingers especially and I havent had a problem. I mean any handheld device is gonna feel a little small for me but its not uncomfortable at all. I would say go for it

20. BonziWellsGOAT

I'm definately gonna get OoT lol just wanted to get some games i may not have played. The only thing that bums me out is that you cant get SNES games on the 3DS, only on the WiiU :(