1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' front office instructs players not to comment on Donald Sterling situation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Apr 26, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't see the problem. I think it goes without saying they don't like it, what else can they really add? No reason to make it a distraction or give them the opportunity to stir something up.

2. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Our players are mentally weak at times. I am okay with having them only focus on the playoffs.

3. JBar

JBar Rookie

Don't forget that Rockets players have been accused of verbally harassing a man in Brooklyn for being gay. I wonder if the front office is worried that reporters or people might ask players: "So you want Sterling punished for things he said in private about black people. What about charges that several of you harassed a gay person doing his job in Brooklyn? Have you ever said nasty things about gay people in public or private?" Just a guess.

Personally, I hope Sterling is forced to sell the team before next season begins.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Honestly, Sterling's ex-gf has just ruined the league and social relations in general. I know I'd rather not of known about the recording. I hope our guys are okay and play hard on Sunday.

5. yummyhawtsauce

I think it's a PR move. with twitter these days, you don't know what a player might say (even if they have a right to be angry). I don't agree with it though.

6. yummyhawtsauce

I think our players will focus on the game just fine, but imagine how the clippers feel.

7. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Clutch does not pay us. Athletes are always in the spotlight, so its not unreasonable to expect them to keep their opinions to themselves until its official. And all the players know Sterling is a scumbag, what more can they add.

8. ChippedToothLin

If our players made comments about it, media would be all over it... don't need that attention right now.

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

So will the Clippers now be sold and we get Chris Paul and Blake Griffin? LOL

10. Asian Playboy

Asian Playboy Member

When you don't stand up or speak against racism, you give tacit approval that it's ok.

11. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

It aint our team,so it aint our business, If they have something to say,they can say it during the offseason. We are in the playoffs,thats our main focus right now.

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

What the Rockets FO should do is issue a statement.

"We are certain the the league will do the right thing about this situation, but we reiterate that as an organization we do not hold the same views as Mr. Sterling. Our team and organization is one of the most racially diverse in the whole NBA. blah blah blah"

Issue the statement on behalf of the players so they don't need to be distracted by it.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Too many negative things could happen, not the least of which is your attention gets divided.

Players might get fines, which lead to emotions / tempers flaring up as you're playing for your season - and that's never good.

If I were the Rockets' FO, I'd at least wait until the NBA rules on this decision, and not during the investigation.

And besides, Dwight saying "I can't say how I really feel" pretty much tells you how he's feeling. To be fair, is anyone really thinking black players, if any, are okay with this?

There's really no need to say what you feel. The people who know of Sterling, know he's a trash human being.

14. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

guys it's because the information isn't even confirmed to be true yet. once it's cold hard fact then discussion is open.

15. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

+1

Isn't it obvious?

16. blunto

blunto Member

I don't think Clippers players are commenting, are they?

In the media session with Doc Rivers, he said specifically that he is speaking on behalf of the team, and that players will NOT be commenting.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:10844762&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

The only exception I have seen is the written statement from Chris Paul, acting as President of the NBAPA.

Are the Rockets in the wrong for taking the same approach (players refraining from comment)?

17. bmd

bmd Member

The Rockets have nothing to benefit from commenting on this so the media can turn this into a circus.

They are a little busy at the moment.

I have no problem with this.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, i think this applies to all players league-wide...the ones that already talked probably did so before the team could get in contact with them...

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The NBA commissioner is having a news conference in about an hour. I think it's smart for the team to advise the players to let all the facts come out before commenting. This story only broke earlier today, and Sterling I'm sure will have his side of the story to tell. I really don't have many or maybe any doubts that Sterling said something very wrong.

I view this as the Rockets organization trying to protect their players from saying something that they may regret.

20. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Good decision by management. No need for unwanted distractions. And honestly, you can call me a dog if you pay me millions.