1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' front office instructs players not to comment on Donald Sterling situation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With Rox players told not to comment on Donald Sterling situation, Dwight Howard tells <a href="https://twitter.com/USATODAYsports">@USATODAYsports</a>, &quot;I can't say how I really feel.&quot;</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/statuses/460139569300529153">April 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    I have a problem with this. This has quickly become the #1 story in the NBA and the Rockets' response is to forbid players from commenting on this? The Rockets are the only team to my knowledge that are not allowing its players to openly discuss this issue.

This is in real poor taste and comes off as tone deaf. Wake up Rockets brass! Putting duct-tape on your players' mouths is NOT the answer in this situation. Players deserve to voice their opinion on this issue that goes far beyond the NBA.

Very disappointed in the Rockets' front office right now.

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

why? thats dumb they should be able to express how they feel

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

if true, stupid decision. everything regarding this should be open for discussion (to help others work towards racial reconciliation).

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

No reason to put any of our players out there in the spotlight with any comments they could make. Good decision to keep them quiet about the subject until the season is over.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

we don't need any media circus surrounding controversy over what our players might say. Win these damn playoff games, that's all that matter. The owner of the clippers, that's an issue for the fellow owners and the NBA board to decide.

6. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I think they're doing it to keep the players focused on the series; not let them get distracted and have their energies expended on other things. This team really wants to WIN.

7. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

That has nothing to do with the Rockets though, unless Les is racist too (jk) - they can comment about it all they want, after we win the ship. lol but for now, focus on the series

8. aumate

aumate Member

And the Heat and other teams don't? Just stupid.

9. pass_to_Hakeem

Let the Rockets talk all they want to on this subject after they win this series!! Right now they don't need any distractions and need to put their focus on game 4. After they win the series then spend all day talking about Donald Sterling's racist ass!!!

10. AFS

AFS Member

I'm indifferent. They don't need distractions right now. Tomorrow night is an important game and they don't need the media shifting attention.

11. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I guess they don't want players get caught up in the cesspool that is Donald Sterling and focus all their mental energy on the task at hand.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

I disagree. The media circus will surround and only surround Sterling and the Clippers right now. This story is all about Sterling and how a freaking NBA owner can have this racist opinion about black people.

This is just excessive and completely unnecessary micromanagement by the Rockets' front office.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

Donald Sterling is the primary source of the distraction for the entire NBA. Regardless of the Rockets' desires to rob their players of a voice, it won't change that the Rockets players would still be distracted by these disturbing comments by an NBA owner. On the court, this is a non-issue for the players.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lea is disgusting as I suspected. Not to sterlinga level but damn

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This organization is a joke
    What if clutch said we can't talk about it?

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

what do you need players' comments for? media already know the answer to that question.

I'm surprised they didn't know Sterling is a racist and a fool.

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

I don't want to assume this is a command sent from Les. This could be a scared Rockets' PR department that wants to stick their head in the sand.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Exactly, it's not really a big deal what the players think. Sure, someone may tweet about what Dwight/Harden says and be done with it. Maybe their comment will be inserted into a compilation of player responses. That's really about it.

That's why it's just really bizarre for the Rockets to respond this way. Just complete paranoia.

19. downbytheriver

Smart decision - let the details come out first and the NBA investigate into it. I have heard the tape and it sounds altered. We know Sterling is racist but this is commenting on a matter of extortion and illegally obtained personal conversation footage (which is probably doctored) so it's setting a bad precedent to support law breaking

20. JazzLakerHater

Who cares. We all know Sterling is a giant piece of human ****. I want our players to focus on Game 4.