1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Injury: Pat Beverley sprains his knee (UPDATE: Cleared to play Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 21, 2014.

1. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

For those posting about cartilage "healing", you know it doesn't, right? Once it's torn, it's torn. It's not like a ligament or a tendon. It's not going to get better.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Fastball special?

[​IMG]

3. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

Yea he didn't look right last night. The difference between lin on lillard and Bev was night and day. He's be an awesome spark of energy off the bench though as a pesky guy

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Said it a few pages ago, but it's the nature of the injury.

This isn't like a sprained ankle where there's constant pain and wear-and-tear involved. It's basically a freak situation of instability in his knee where once in a while, it'll "catch" and hurt like hell for a bit. It looked like that's what happened in the final minute of the first New Orleans game, and it happened after Aldridge set a similar pick last night.

Other than those brief periods, Beverley has looked 100%. I watched him closely last night, and he was as quick as I've ever seen him. No limp whatsoever.

From all I've heard, rest isn't going to fix this situation. Until he has surgery, it's just going to be an issue of random luck, and that "bad turn" can happen just as easily in 2 minutes as it could 40. So IF you're going to let Beverley play, and he's feeling 100% and moving just fine, I don't see that it makes sense to give him an arbitrary limit.

5. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Great news, we need him. Let's hope he can play better and do a better job on Lillard. If he can't, he's no use to us.

1 person likes this.
  6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It doesn't change it at all. If he has no swelling in the knee then after that's it's all in his head if he goes 100% or not and clearly bev only goes 100 or nothing. I have a similer issue with my knee I sprained it bad twice in a 3 month period same knee playing ball. Some days I can't tell and some times it acts up and I can't go. But it is night and day. If I was bev I would avoid surgery as long as possible. I once thought that I wanted it but I'm also no pro athlete and don't hoop as often. But I feel with proper rehab this offseason strengthening the muscles around the knee and wearing a brace he should be fine. His knee injury is not serous like rose and westbrook MCL tears. Bev really is a different breed he is just one of those dudes who heals fast and have high tolerance for pain I've been around a few in my life and it really does baffle me still. He could easily say I can't go and know body would question him. But he's a tough guy and while I'm know dr and don't want to sound like one lol I know from a med evaluation he is good to go. Like I said if he had no swelling then he should not be limited in his mobility at all.

IMO this is great news for the rockets and bad for Portland. Portland Twitter and even ther police twitter have said some bold stuff. They got the first game but it's a big boy league these playoffs are. One thing I know is harden and Howard are going to have huge games weds. And this rockets team had had a chip in its shoulder all year. Fans and media doubting the team. This team is foreal and a scary scary team. Nobody has the inside/outside duo like Houston has. We have legit all pros at those positions and they will show up soon.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...-rockets-patrick-beverley-cleared-play-game-2

8. 34to11

34to11 Member

That injury had nothing to do with Beverley's play but rather a questionable pick by Aldridge.
    He is a crucial part of what the Rockets do so it's is great news that he will be available. However I do believe his minutes should be closely monitored.

9. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Good news. Team need him to cover someone's poor defense.

10. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

This is BS...I have a torn/trimmed meniscus just like Beverly. The "bad turn" is FAR more likely to happen as minutes go up because muscles get fatigued and don't stabilize the knee as well. Knee stability is just as much dependent on muscular strength as it is meniscus/ACL/LCL/MCL. You also get sloppier just as a general matter when you get tired and that makes a fall more likely. The body also makes subtle compensations for injuries and with more time played, the cumulative effect is greater and muscles start to tighten up. There is no comparison whatsoever with how my knee handles when I'm fresh vs. when I'm tired. My injury was worse than his because I tore my ACL too, but I honestly cannot think of anything stupider than playing basketball on a bad knee when tired.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No graphical representation of the pain? Son I am disappoint.

2 people like this.
  12. Omnipotence

Omnipotence Member

Dude is a warrior.

13. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

You are not the Wolverine

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

agree.

15. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

I'm glad he woke up and felt fine.

No swelling, no pain

We need his energy --- I really feel like the other guys feed off of PB's energy

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

our bench would suck so hard without lin though. 0 offense and only bev good in defense. But on the other hand, Portland's bench is pretty bad too

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is not true. Are you a medical doctor?

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think you have it backwards. Knee ligaments don't heal when they are torn, they have to be repaired or replaced. Meniscus tears on the outer part of the cartilage can and often do heal theselves, though some may require surgery. Dr. James Andrews actually said that he wouldn't have recommended surgey for Beverley even if it were the offseason.

20. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

A light meniscus tear will often heal but a heavy one will not.

Ligaments are all different. A torn ACL will not heal. Either the tear is severe enough to give you an unstable knee or it isn't, and surgery is decided based on functionality. The LCL, PCL, and MCL receive blood supply and may heal on their own. A complete tear (rupture) obviously cannot heal without surgery, but a medium tear will often heal.