1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gregg Popovich named Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by torocan, Apr 22, 2014.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

How did Mark Jackson get a vote and Mcsucess didn't

2. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Best coach in the NBA for years now. Not surprised at all...

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm outraged that Lin didn't get it.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A.k.a., Lin only fans and irrational internet haters.

5. torocan

torocan Member

210 ESPN panelists voted McHale as "average"... #13 out of 30 head coaches.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10717235/2014-nba-front-office-rankings-coaches

Here is the panel. It includes writers from a variety of sources representing a number of teams. McHale isn't hated or loved as a personality. If anything, his resume as a former broadcaster and HOF player should work to his benefit.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/ESPN-Forecast-panel-130415/espn-forecast-panel

A number of CF posters agree with that assessment. Only on CF would they be considered "irrational", "LOF's" and "haters"... :rolleyes:

6. torocan

torocan Member

Probably a "homer" vote. There's always a few "homer" votes in these... like Jason Kidd. I mean, really... Jason Kidd as a COTY?

If anything it speaks highly of the Houston voters in that they aren't going to let the "homer" factor sway their judgement. As for what it says about the NY Voters... well, let's just leave it at that. :grin:

7. Rockness

Rockness Member

Congrats Pops, could win it every year, he's that great! Look what he's doing with the lack of talent, because I wouldn't exactly call al the guys that excel in his system and under his tuttellage good players.

McHale is a bad X and O's coach, does not have a clear system, does not take responsibility, is clueless at times and now does not even seem to be a great motivator (which I kind of thought he was, but when you have our guys plays this type of defense in the playoffs and throughour the whole year..). He is still a great player's coach and can probably get through to some guys.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh, BSPN haters.

9. dragician

dragician Member

McHale reacts, not happy.

[​IMG]

10. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

I wouldn't vote Kidd as the 3rd best coach of the NBA, but imo he definitely did a decent job at the Nets, arguably better than the job performed by McHale with our Rockets.

He was thrown into the deep end at the start, suffered multiple injuries to his veterans but eventually rallied his troops and started winning big even without any passable rebounders on his team.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you replace a 2nd year Rudy in 1994 with a 2nd year Popovich, the Rockets do not win the title.

just saying

12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Definitely well deserved, I don't think anyone had a doubt. Like someone else said, it's amazing he did what he did while keeping all of us players under 30mpg. Now the real question......Gregg Popovich or Phil Jackson? I think I'm taking Pops. In my opinion, he's done more with less, and for a longer period.

Pops - Duncan & Parker
    Phil - Jordan & Pippen, Shaq & Kobe

13. torocan

torocan Member

So, let me see if I got this right...

2012+ poster - LOF's, irrational and haters
    1999-2011 poster - LOF's, irrational and haters
    210 ESPN analysts - irrational and haters
    NBA COTY voters (panel of sports writers across the nation) - irrational and haters

Yes, we're ALL just haters, irrational and LOF's. :rolleyes:

You do realize how absolutely ridiculous that sounds? Isn't it POSSIBLE that you're overestimating how good McHale is as a coach?

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic dude. No need to take everything seriously. I doubt any rational person would consider McHale for COTY.

15. torocan

torocan Member

Sarcasm and Humor doesn't always translate in text. Just ask anyone at work about e-mail and texting. :grin:

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nah he's just being cheeky as always. This McHale thing is kinda like the whole Patrick Patterson thing

17. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

That minutes averaged stat is absolutely insane.

18. Bucketfans

Bucketfans Member

I agree, I'll take Pops too.

Phil is a better communicator as the Zen Master but Pops knows to bring the best out of all his players to FORM the team

19. Bucketfans

Bucketfans Member

His lack of effort in reasoning should have given you the clue ;)

20. steady

steady Member

Glad to see Hornacek getting recognition. He deserves it.

And seeing Terry Stotts on that list makes me feel slightly better about what happened in Game 1.