1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013/2014 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 13, 2013.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's alright, but he will never be as good as Schweinsteiger. Doesn't have the same presence. He doesn't shrink just as much as Özil does in big games, but he's also not really a dominating leader, I don't think he will be one. I much prefer Thiago. Even if and when Schweinsteiger retires in 5 years, I would prefer a central midfield of Thiago, Martinez, Götze. And I'm sure we will find some other good players. But I would prefer to keep Kroos. Just don't think we should overpay for him. He needs to understand where he stands in the Bayern pecking order.

2. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised if he left for United. Big club, big name, he would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. And who knows, maybe Utd will reinforce and challenge next season - if they take van Gaal. ;-)

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Man I remember when I was sure Suarez would leave last summer and go for Bayern. Glad that didn't happen. He'd be a good fit there (or anywhere).

4. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Arsenal should have given Liverpool the extra 10-20 million - they would have taken it I think. Imagine where the club would be!

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think later reports said that Suarez never wanted to move to Arsenal since he was waiting for Real Madrid to come knocking. Besides I think Pool wouldn't have parted with Suarez unless they're offered somewhere north of 85mil. They knew he was worth far more and I'm glad they stuck with it.

I think now RM would have to offer something close to, if not more, what they paid for Bale.

6. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Definitely - after the season he's had, he's worth it.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think the Klopp thing is idiotic and makes no sense, his understanding of football(fast counterattacks, no possession football) is the total opposite of Barca's philosophy and would make the current La Masia system obsolete, their youngsters are drilled to play possession style and everything would have to change.

Newest reports say the favourites are de Boer, Valverde, Enrique and Jemez.

Valverde(Bilbao coach) is apparently Zubi's favourite, as they're good friends and Valverde has been really successful this season.

Not sure about Van Gaal, he wants to play in the PL and supposedly has some offers for next season.

8. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

So who thinks Atletico Madrid will lose their Key Players next Season
    Diego Costa,Koke,Courtois,Filipe luis,Arda Turan and of course their coach Simeone who turned them into a top team in Spain and Europe

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

He is not going anywhere

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I hope not. However I do believe RM will come knocking soon, unless there's some FFP thing that gets in the way (but I know nothing about the FFP rules).

Having Ronaldo, Bale and Suarez form a triangle up front sounds mind blasting. I don't think they'd even need defense.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I doubt all would be leaving next season/after this season.
    We know odds would be on Diego Costa.
    Courtois isn't going anywhere unless Chelsea feel Cech is done and are ready to bring Courtous in, that doesn't look to be the case for at least another couple of years.
    Koke, Turan, etc might be sold sometime next season or after the season, who knows. I just doubt all will get sold in the next season.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I prefer Ribery, Robben, Lewandowski.

13. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Ummm no on Valverde or Jemez.. I'm assuming by Enrique you mean Luis Enrique?

14. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I think Costa will be at his highest market value right after WC so I don't expect him to be at Atleti much longer maybe in Filipe Luis.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yup..

16. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Luis Enrique has a fighting chance for obvious reasons but no on the other 2.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Call me selfish but I want him to be the next manager. We should have kept it in the family anyway. Can't wait to send Tata into retirement.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agree with Yung-T that Klopp would be a terrible fit. Different style of football and he barely even speaks English. Language would be a huge barrier.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hey, he could take lessons from the master.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mHw-H03U4bs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have been wondering...what language do they mostly speak on the pitch at BM? Training room? Such a mix of nationalities but still with a strong German presence.