1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ultimate "James Harden Doesn't Play Defense" Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Darn right brah

2. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

1 person likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Unless harden steps it up in the playoffs, his D is a legitimate concern. He is playing in series against the best of the NBA.

4. drc3906

drc3906 Member

Soooo, what are you going to do about your concern? Play Harden bashing videos. Makes you happy, huh?

5. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Whatever. The playoffs start tomorrow and you choose today to start a thread with the purpose to bash our best player? What Perfect timing, huh?

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I think teams knows our biggest defensive hole is at the 2 and 4 and they will set up plays specifically to take advantage of this. You actually could see this happening in some of the regular season games. So the question is what is our coaching staff doing or what will they do to address this issue b4 the playoffs begin. Also, how will Harden (and Jones) respond when challenged to pick up it up defensively.

I really really hope this gets fixed asap especially for Harden's sake and for the sake of our team. If we end up losing in the 1st round and whoever Harden is guarding ends up dropping 50 points on our team, the GARM will explode. Harden is a professional and he is the superstar of our team, so I'm sure he'll rise to the occassion...

7. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Stating a fact is not bashing Mr. Harden Sr.

8. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Since when can't we say negative things about our players or do some players get a pass? LMAO.

9. drc3906

drc3906 Member

So what's the point?

10. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

The point of the OP is to show everyone that he has found this lame video while no one else could.

11. torocan

torocan Member

To be fair, the Last time a video like this went viral, Harden and the coaches started getting hit with media questions about the video and Harden's defense. The media also started hitting on mainstream shows.

Then mysteriously he suddenly started playing defense for about a month. It's as if he suddenly remembered that there's 2 ends to the court.

I've already seen this video mentioned on multiple basketball sites, and it was mentioned on 590 today.

If it has ANY chance of making any sort of impact on Harden playing defense, then it really isn't such a bad thing to have these videos get mainstream attention.

And if you think that these videos and forum posts can't make a difference, last season in a post-game interview Patrick Patterson said that he started focusing on his rebounding after he read a thread on Clutchfans complaining about his rebounding.

The players try to avoid too many distractions, but nobody lives in a plastic bubble. Between twitter, forums like CF and the mainstream radio, commentators and papers, they DO hear about this sort of stuff. They do read the internet, they have friends and family that talk to them, they follow other players' twitters, etc, etc.

I'd rather this be front and center before the play offs get started than after the play offs are in progress and we've lost a close game or two.

Never underestimate the power of peer pressure and shame, especially in the modern age of the internet and mass media.

12. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

How often has this actually worked?

[​IMG]

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I suspect he didn't get proper coaching in his developmental years aka high school (maybe jr. High).

The habits, good or bad, learned then are probably very difficult to unlearn. He clearly does not instinctually keep his eye on his man and the ball which, as some of us know, gets hammered into your brain by many coaches. Him getting caught standing up straight on defense is either laziness or lack of concentration.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't know but thanks to your pic, I see he only does it when guys go left on him. You would think a lefty might realize other dudes use their left too :confused:

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HmmmHmmmmmmmm or whatever his name is...is simply brilliant for making that video. Brilliant. I love how one guy is able to call Harden out on his D in such a hilariously crushing piece. It's going viral baby, and it's going to get back to everyone, not just Harden but Morey, his teammates, the media, the ball boy, his family - everyone will see that video and be like...geez, Harden is awful on D.

It's the best thing you can do before the playoffs. HmmmmHmmmmmmmmmmmm is doing McHale's job for him.

16. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

This video hurst my eyes.

17. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I think what a lot ppl overlook particularly the ones who are misinterpreting this video as bashing Harden is what a serious obstacle this is to our championship chances not only this year but in the future. Defense more so is team reliant. If one chain is weak the entire unit falls apart. Notice how so many times James not being able to hold his man for a second causes chaos for the rest of the defense. Everyone is scrambling to cover the penetrator leaving other players wide open for an easy 3 or an easy cut to the rim. Even with Dwight or asik the team defense is compromised. James doesn't need to be good defensively he just needs to be average. I don't think I've seen someone get beat on the dribble after one move as much. He can't even manage to stay in front of his man for 2 seconds which would be enough time to give his teammates the ability to rotate effectively. This is the point many are missing: we won't have any legit chance at a ring if he doesn't improve.

18. plee

plee Member

I know, every post around here is so negative, geez...we're in the PLAYOFFS. I guess if we didn't make it, "What can we get for Harden... What about so and os..."

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

With Harden it's all about effort. If he gave 50% more effort than he usually does! he can actually be an average to an a over average defender. He might not have the natural gifts of a Paul George defensively, but Harden is strong enoughy and fast enough to play good defense when he wants too. Defense is 85% effort.

Honestly, I don't see Harden's defense as a major concern, at least in the playoffs. Last year, he took to guard Durant when Garcia or Parsons were in foul trouble or resting. James didn't do a great job, but who does? But, James did play some good one on one defense and post defense on the best scorer in the game, when he needed to.

I think we are going to see a more defensive concious Harden in the playoffs. He is going to have his moments where he is going to lose his man or not give the full 110% on a particular play but I think he knows the importance of playoff basketball and playoff defense.