1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman OUT as TWolves Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drowsy12, Apr 17, 2014.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Don't need a defense. It's common sense. Would you like to compare rosters under both coaches? Injuries perhaps? Roster turnover?

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

So it's common sense that if McHale's win% passes Adelman, then McHale's the best coach?

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone keeps on forgetting those guys. Also Ricky Rubio got a lot of playing time under Adelman and last night gave him some high praise last night. Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger and Terry Porter all started as rookies under Adelman and have also praised him highly.

Also this thing about Adelman not being a players' coach just mystifies me. It seems like most people who have played under Adelman have praised him. Consider how when Adelman coached against the Rockets his first year at MN Kyle Lowry went out of his way to talk to him right at the end of the game. That right there tells you how much affection and respect people who have played for Adelman have for him.

4. VBG

VBG Member

That's just stupid analysis that's really getting you nowhere.

The RINGSSZSZZSZSZS argument is flawed enough for players. Using it for coaches is ludicrious.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Fall guy. But, I kind of expected it when he signed in Minnesota. They don't have good leadership from the ownership and the front office. Hiring a good coach can change your culture only so much. Flip Saunders has only had a year as president. Maybe he'll still turn things around. Maybe hiring a new coach will help him turn things around.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

You certainly could make a argument. But you'd have to factor in the roster talent & expectations of that particular team. What were Adelman's expectations when Yao & Tmac both got hurt? Did anybody expect us to be contenders like we are now? I do remember him getting COY mentions even with no superstars & a gang of undersized role players. You have to weigh the circumstances of each coach

7. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Lol I can't believe somebody is actually arguing this Adelman crap. I feel myself getting dumber as I read GoRox posts.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your simplistic judgment of greatness does not warrant a reply.

I do think that rating coaches is pointless to a certain degree because there are so many factors that are not in the coach's control. So I am not one who ranks coaches. And I have always believed that the difference between great and good coaches is not very much.

But saying that Adelman calling Adelman a future HOF coach is absurd is very absurd in itself.

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

OK, go look at who were voted the top coaches of all time when they voted for the top 50 players. They included championships won as a category. Not saying it's fair, but that's what happens. Actually, Don Nelson definitely deserves to be in the top 10, championship or not. And Rick Adelman is a great coach. But just like we put Hakeem a notch above others based on his championships, I think you have to at least consider it with coaches.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

There was plenty of talent on Minnesota's squad to get in the playoffs. They underperformed. McHale's squads performed.

Rick is overrated. Hasn't even won a championship.

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Just curious. Who outta the 8 playoff seeds was Minnesota more talented than in the western conference?

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Boy, you certainly shut me up with all that incredible basketball insight:rolleyes:

13. DuDDleyDawsonII

Don't forget 1991-1992

14. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Dallas & Portland for sure.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't the article speculate this is Adelman's decision to opt-out because of family issues. Why are we assuming he's being forced out when he'd have to get fired to stop his 4th yr $6m option

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Because some CF posters have a tendency to be classless.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I agree winning a championship is hard and circumstantial, but we are talking about the Hall of Fame and a 30 year period of time... I believe Adelman is a good coach and has been for a majority of his coaching career.

Yes I consider Spoel and Rivers to be better coaches than Adelman, Karl and Nelson. Nelson was an innovative coach and basketball figure, but his small ball approach didn't work. Karl has been the head coach of some of the biggest post season failures.

Sloan was a hell of a coach, but the game has passed him by.

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Rubio
    Martin
    Brewer
    Love
    Pekovich (injuries)

Bench
    C. Bud
    JJ Barea
    Ronny Tyriaf

Yea ok:rolleyes:

19. archinkent

archinkent Member

That team was full of injuries.

I would like to see Mchale coach this team without Harden and Dwight for most of the season. No wait, I actually I don't.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adelman can deliver Kevin Love. Which is why he'll get hired by the Lakers.