1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Armed Robber never told to report to Prison for 13yrs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Apr 17, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

All kidding aside, I think he should get the death penalty.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Motive is very important to investigations.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Find an example of white dood getting convicted of armed robbery (similar circumstances) and getting no jail time in the same time frame this guy was convicted (sentencing changes) and then you can say you have a point.

Otherwise you are just grandstanding.

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Although I hope he gets a reduced sentence, I can't see a good argument for him getting a reduced sentence. Prison after all is meant as a punishment, and why stop at say 6 years, when it should be 13 years. I understand that he has turned his life around though, which is fantastic, and would mean the rehabilitation is unnecessary, but he should still be punished, have it on his record etc.

5. Major

Major Member

People get sentences reduced all the time for mitigating circumstances, good behavior, etc. Would his actions here not qualify?

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't see how these two situations are analogous at all.

In one situation (yours) the individual was going to be punished more than he deserved. Clearly that's a mistake that needs to be fixed. In this one though, the individual isn't getting a punishment he didn't earn. Letting him off the hook is letting him get away with no punishment. Two totally different scenarios.

What do you think should happen if a paperwork error lets a convicted criminal out of prison before they are supposed to be let out? That's more akin to what is happening in this scenario.

7. Major

Major Member

In both cases, the government messed up. In both cases, I don't think the individual should have to pay the price for it. The government intended to take away the next 13 years of this guy's life back in 2000. The guy was supposed to lose 2000-2013 and then rebuild a life from there. Instead, the government screwed up and he ended up building a life - you can't then arbirtrarily decide to take away 2013-2026 from him because you screwed up.

Depends on the circumstances. If he was released for an hour, you re-arrest him and put him in jail - no harm, no foul. If you release him and let him build a new life for 5 years, then that's your fault - he shouldn't have to pay an additional price of having his new life taken away due to your mistake.

Basically, you always err on the side of the citizen over the government if (1) it's the government's fault and (2) there's any gray area.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Would you argue the same for murderers, child molesters, or Nazis?

9. Major

Major Member

Yes - the crime is irrelevant. The system is designed such that we are to err on the side of caution, universally. It's the reason for "any reasonable doubt" to find guilt and for allowing a 100% certain criminal to get off based on a technicality. We expect our government to dot the i's and cross the t's before taking someone's freedom away. If they screw up, the criminal goes free - it sucks, but the solution for the government is simple: don't screw up.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A rich man steals millions in finance and never gets charged with a crime.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I hope the guy walks for time served... the last 9 months or so.

Anything else would be vindictive and destructive. We should THANK HIM for not costing us the money that 13 years of incarceration would cost the taxpayers.

1 person likes this.
  12. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Getting him off the hook is the bigger screw up.
    Let the long arm (and memory) of the law take its course.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I agree with you, but you have too much expectation and confidence in the government.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Actually, I think his statement showed the appropriate lack of confidence in government. Lack of confidence in government is the reason that the burden of proof is "beyond" a reasonable doubt and also the reason that this guy should be given at least some reprieve since it was the government's mistake, not his.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

This.

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

17. HPD

HPD Member

No........

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think one could consider it. The rationale is kind of similar, isn't it?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's a scary precedence. This man is an exeption to the rule. Most criminals become criminals for life.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Give every person convicted of armed robbery 13 years on their own in the real world to see if they can self-rehabilitate before determining whether they should be imprisoned.