1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reconsider an Asik/Howard Lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Apr 7, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He played those games days after getting a nice chunk of his foot being working on and cut up.

I'm concerned about Dwight as well, but mainly because I just want him and Harden to really have their chemistry down come playoff time. I'd like at least 3 dress rehearsals before the playoffs with full health to really feel confident about it.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yet, you counter the arguement using TWO QUARTERS worth of proof. And you, the self proclaimed TTOF club president (WTF :confused:) accuse others of bias? This isn't even worth arguing. IF you see the TT lineup, it will be in spot minutes and based soley on matchups.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thanks. I did not view that post worthy of the time it would take to reply.

Fans cherry pick data to fit their opinion. Not a bad thing. But to foster that opinion as gospel truth to other fans? Unforgivable.

4. basketballholic

Here's a stat for you. The Rockets are undefeated in games that both Dwight and Asik played 25 minutes or more.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Let me guess. Sample size = 1?

6. basketballholic

How about 38 games?????

If Dallas makes the playoffs the Rockets record in those first 8 games against playoff teams was 3-2 (.600). After those first 8 games the Rockets record against all playoff teams (including all those crappy EC playoff teams) is 21-17 (.552).

There is no overwhelming evidence that Jones in the starting lineup has made this team significantly better. None. Can't find it in the win-loss record. Can't find it in +/- statistics. Can't find it anywheres.

But there is plenty of evidence that shows that if we keep Jones in there in the playoffs that we are going to get knocked out, possibly even in the first round.

7. Remii

Remii Member

And how much of that 25 minutes were Asik and Howard on the floor together...????

8. basketballholic

Somewhere between 50-70% of those minutes judging by looking at the lines.

I keep saying we only need to overlap them for around 12 minutes a game to get them both on the floor for max minutes. And those 12 minutes could be key minutes especially against the double big lineups we are going to face in the playoffs.

By the way the (+/-) was overall positive for those minutes as well.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

So you are happy making an end all decision of 8 games? Typical HR if the key words from the job description aren't there its not an exact fit ..cant see the forest for the trees.

I was stating there were flashes (see those 2 games along with other flashes) and in the end the plus minus was pretty damn close despite the slow starts. Rebounds and defense just aren't sexy I get it.

Forget the start of season, dwight barely part of new team, slow starts that can't be entirely attributed to TT.

..if it rains tonight I blame TT

and you are basing it on 8 half quarters of bad starts? :rolleyes:

Yes I am the TT fan club president and when they kick ass together you will not be allowed in.

damn dude you are so hardcore. You really showed me and the board what a hoss you are.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You can't be serious. Not sure why I'm even bothering... But, if there is no overwhelming evidence that adding Jones to the starting lineup has made this team better (Even though there is); please provide a few tidbits of evidence from the "plenty'' that you mentioned showing that keeping Jones in the starting lineup will cause the Rockets to be knocked out in the playoffs as soon as the first round.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Judging by your response it sounds like a 50-70% chance you're just giving me a calculated guess. And you could have left the (+/-) stat out. Because if you use (+/-) you need to go look at the opposing team's lineup when they were on the floor together especially when looking at those "sample size minutes" which is a big difference from when they played together as starters.

But if you're just talking about playing them together in matchup situations during the course of a game if needed. Why not... But no way that lineup should be forced out on the floor. And no way those two should start together.

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Strangely the only thing holding back the TT lineup is rebounding, morey said he couldn't work it out but we were not in position to sit around and find out.

It will be harder than everyone thinks to use it for example fouls on Dwight/asik both have to be minimal
    And secondarily harden has showed to be just as effective matchups against 4's as asik has been minus zbo which doesn't look like a matchup anyway.
    I wanted to see it down the stretch but injuries has stopped that, it's Dissapiinting but I would only want it to 2 mins here and their that's it.

13. basketballholic

It was a calculated guess by looking at red and blue lines on a bar graph. It was at least 50% though.

14. basketballholic

I am currently going through all our games against the WC playoff seeds and calculating +/- data when Dwight/Jones were matched up against the other team's two starting bigs.

First one out of the box: Portland Trailblazers
    Dwight and Jones are -31 when matched up with Aldridge and Lopez.

I'll post all of them when I'm done. Or you can do it yourself and confirm what our eyes have already told us.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Why are you just calculating the (+/-) with just the bigs... Are you including their other 3 teammates that are on the court with them...? Because what they do and how they play may matter as well. And you also have to judge how the 5 guys on the other team are playing as well.

If you don't do all that then you're just skewing the numbers to support your argument.

And everyone seen Howard and Asik start together and it's ugly. The sample size was more than enough and many of us knew that 5h1t wasn't going to work anyway.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Oh... You also have to calculate the turnovers and fast break points.You also have to calculate 3 pointers and other outside shots because that's on the guards. You got a lot of calculating to do...

17. basketballholic

No I don't. Just looking at +/-.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Until Morey and McHale choose to revive it the TT experiment is dead. Is there any reason to discuss it? Just asking.

19. basketballholic

Yes. We discuss and propose trades all the time that are dead until Morey executes them. No different.

1 person likes this.
  20. mockster

mockster Member

I never understood why the asik and howard combo was never put in certain situations. They claim it didn't work but nothing works over night and I think such as the deke and Yao combo it wouldn't hurt in diffrent match ups. Clippers to me is when we should utilize this. Jones can't handle griffen or most elite PFs n I don't think he ever will unless he gains more weight and becomes more of like a Paul millsap type of player