1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Warriors are ok. So is Dallas I guess.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Love the humility. Keep up the good work reading other people's minds and emotions. Lin would only be a better fit on a team without a ball dominant perimeter player and with a spread offense (E.g. Atlanta that has two bigs that can shoot). If Lin isn't making full use of his play making skills out of PnR, Beverley's defense gives him the edge as they are relatively close as catch and shoot options.

3. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

What are you talking about dude? You think every decent team in the league is constructed like the Rockets in that Lin would never be able to start? Just because he's not as good of a fit on this winning team as Beverley is, that doesn't mean he can't be effective starting on a good team in general.

On the contrary, just because Bev is a good fit with this team that doesn't mean he can go anywhere and that team would be good. Replace Bev with Teague on the Hawks and they'd probably be a lottery team. He just wouldn't be able to even remotely replace the offensive production Teague brings as the primary scorer

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Humility is a virtue in people who are wrong. Bev is a guy who plays in the NBA because of the Rockets system. Except for the +/- what about his stats line screams starting point guard on a NBA team? His defense is probably inferior to Rubio's. Rubio has half a foot of height on the guy. His assists at the point guard position may be per 36 the worst in the league. He is who he is and I personally am glad he is here.

[​IMG]

5. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

If you look at lineup stats, Lin w/starters has a slightly better winning percentage than Beverley w/starters. There isn't that much of a gap between the two players defensively, and I think with Lin the Rockets have a guy who can open things up offensively, get to the line and make plays at the end of games. It would be good to have both players playing, but the Rockets won't lose much and may actually be more effective in the starting unit with Lin against playoff competition. The issue is the bench production where there is no real backup since Brooks was traded.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Depending on your definition of "great." If you are talking about "great" as a superstar kind of PG, then well, you are probably right and it probably also is true for Beverley and about 90% of other PGs in the league.

But if "great" means a good role player on a winning team, hey that's what he did last year, didn't he? So the "except a team which does not care about winning part" is simply not true.

And I am not even bringing up the Linsanity stretch. He was not just great individually. His team was winning. Remember he singlehandedly ruined our draft pick?

7. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Can we not derail this thread into Lin vs. Bev? I had to go back 5 pages to find the latest Morey interview. Thanks, J.R.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, I said Lin was good enough at the beginning, but he was bad right now.

Lin needs to improve his defense to be a good or great PG. Harden is bad on defensive part, but he is a offensive force, so he can not a big problem for winning, but Lin is a problem for winning if he can not play a good defense, that is why Beverley is starting although Lin is a better offensive player.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Dude, a LOF. I know what I am talking about. Currently, Lin is not good enough for any good teams that want to win the basketball, there is no point to waste time to argue a LOF, I will leave you alone.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm thinking a lot of people who have posted in the last few pages didn't even bother to read it lol.

11. bmd

bmd Member

You would do well to heed your own advice.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Morey considers Beverley a better defender than Rubio. As Morey>jtr....you are wrong and I guess lack virtue. Unless of course you think you are wiser than Morey.

Offensive rebound numbers.
    Synergy defensive stats primarily against PGs
    Low turnover numbers.
    Very high 3 point rate.
    3 point percentage.
    Assist/turnover ratio 50% better than Lin
    Games started in 2013-2014

Lin has him in assists, scoring especially inside the arc.

13. AVoiceInACrowd

I think Lin is a better fit than Beverley in Indiana. The Pacers' problem is their retched offense. In the last 9 games, 5 times they couldn't score more than 78 points. They need someone who can score and create for others more than they need another good defender.

Stray thought: I think part of Lin's value is as insurance in case of injury, same like Asik. Partly as Beverley's replacement but mostly as Hardens. But, luckily for the Rockets, Harden has been mostly healthy this year.

14. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Not looking good, hiding Beverley's injury status and not providing a timeline. I say if Indiana wants Lin as their starting PG - DO IT. Morey is great at recruiting talented PGs like Lin, more where he came from.

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Morey said in the interview him and Howard will come back right before the playoffs so they can get in their rhythm. He said Beverley's injury isn't serious and he's been going full speed in scrimmages.....are you deaf?

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Bev is a 3 and D point guard. Is there any other in the NBA? Just asking. By any historic measure generally associated with point guards Bev comes out with the short stick. Point guards have always been evaluated based on points and assists. Bev is a product of the Rockets system, not the other way around.

I know you are a huge Rocket fan. So am I. That Morey can go out and find a point guard who so well fits in with the Rockets system says a lot about him and McHale and the Rockets offensive and defensive philosophy. That is what the Spurs organization does, time and time again. It is the way great franchises are built to last. Stars are not plentiful and they are very difficult to obtain. Working in role players effectively is the job of the FO and coaching staff. I personally am heartened to see Bev succeed so well within the Rockets framework.

17. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Have you considered that Bev's stat line, to which you are evaluating him seemingly as a product of a the system as a success aside from it, is actually a product of the that very same system?

Could he not succeed elsewhere? Because you are essentially saying his role and stat line is maximal in a rockets uniform because Morey put him here. That could be the case, but his experience and the odds of the presence of other teams in the NBS are probably disfavorable with respect to that conclusion.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The guy was cut as a rookie from the Heat and spent years playing over in Eurasia for third tier clubs. Morey decided what the ideal running mate for Harden embodied and found that exact person in Bev. Bev would work well next to Wade/Lebron or would be a great fit with a in prime Kobe. Beyond that? I can't think of anything. Bev as a NBA player depends on Harden for his contract. People advocated going out and getting some one like Rondo, a ball in hand point guard who would devalue Hardens contribution to the team. And I just said WTF? Bev however is ideal.

19. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Agreed that his best fit is most likely next to an ball dominant G or G/F. But he has shown flashes of being able to attack the rim with some ferocity. I don't know how far that ability extends as he hasn't had many chances to do so as an NBA player.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. He is Robin to Hardens Batman. He brings exactly what the Rockets need from a point guard starting next to Harden. And that is absolutely great. But that is not what most NBA teams need from the point guard position. Bev does not handle the ball much, does not score a lot or points or dish out many assists. Those are Hardens strengths. Bev brings huge intensity and energy to the team. Especially on defense. He is strong where Harden is weak. Hence the perfect fit.