1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[790] Matt and Adam let go by 790?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Aug 1, 2013.

?

What will you listen to in the morning?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. Whoever replaces Matt & Adam

58.2%
  2. 610

10.9%
  3. ESPN Radio or Yahoo

14.5%
  4. Who listens to talk radio?!

16.4%
  1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Adam is just as bad as Lance when it comes to basketball, IMO. His Rockets commentary is pedestrian at best. I agree with everyone else on Adam. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable and embarrassed for the guy from just listening to him.

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

He was last seen on the top of the awning at Toyota Center, waiting for the Rockets to finally make the playoffs! :p

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lance is cultured in that he actually demonstrates reasonably good taste when it comes to pop culture, food, music, etc.

I'm just saying it makes Adam look like a bit of a lughead when Lance wants to talk about Breaking Bad or something popular (which is what people want to talk about) and all Adam can do is go "uhhh, is there a hot chick on those shows?"

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

The only odd thing about Adam that I can contribute is that he has never had an alcoholic beverage.

Regardless of his knowledge in culture and food, he was my hope for hearing Rockets talk in the AM.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We live in the internet age. Content is user-driven. You post what will get clicks, and you talk about what will keep people interested.

Clear Channel says "Talk about the Rockets if somebody calls in about the Rockets". Who calls to talk Rockets? Nobody.

50 people call in, 49 of them want to talk about who the Texans are going to pick. The other guy probably wants to talk about the Astros.

6. RMGEEGEE

You're absolutely right.

As a Rockets fan first, it is what I care about most. But if I kept it real on the way to work, I could just switch to music and tell myself "Whatever the hell they're going to yap about on 790 is probably something I've read yesterday on Clutchfans or something I'll read about this morning on Clutchfans."

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I listen to the morning show maybe 2-3 days a week and they always talk about rockets. At least as much as the texans if not moreso.

8. RMGEEGEE

Sometimes I feel the same way. "In the Trenches", there's no chance.

Charlie (4 - 7 pm I think) is the best for Rockets talk IMO. But he's got 2-3 weekly guests: McHale, Bullard, Beverly (I think).

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I will link to this post henceforth whenever I see someone whining about a lack of Rockets talk on Houston sports radio.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've given up. It's NPR and NBA podcasts for me. Sad thing is before we went on that 8 game winning streak I heard more Rockets talk on 1140am....in Sacramento.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

When Lance talks basketball or the rockets, he always always brings it back to something back in the day. No one gives a **** who you idolized back in the day. It seems like Adam turned into Lances lackey now.

It's still better than the garbage on 610.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'll sometimes listen if bull is on but Charlie generally gives me a headache in the afternoon that I don't need

I think pat bev is on the Matt Thomas show

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No way...the 790 is waaaay better than 610 talk is about a year old now.

610 in the morning is better than 790. ND and Greg are a total snoozefest compared to Nick and Lopez.

Afternoon...you have Jay Mohr on 790 which completely sucks, compared to Seth Payne and Mike Meltser. Great combo of knowledge and entertainment from those two.

I like Charlie better on 790 than the newly formed triple threat...but no everyone likes Charlie.

I used to listen to 790 about 90% of the time...and now the only time I listen to it is on my drive home with Charlie. Otherwise, my morning drive and lunch break are 610 all the way. And it's not even close.

Also, the 610 segments with Morey are money.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I listen to the morning show everyday on my drive to work and was wondering where Clanton went?

Was he fired?

On another note, Lance knows very little about basketball and tries to run away to football whenever given a chance. THis morning they were talking about tonight's game with the Lakers for about 5 minutes when Lance went back to talk about Clowny.

The only meaningful Rockets talk is the 5 minutes they have with Ackerman or Blank or Friedman or Morey.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Fify. :p

Agree to disagree. The only time I turn on 610 over 790 is if Jay Mohr is on, and even then it's begrudgingly.
    Meltzer's voice is annoying as ****, and everyone else on their network just sucks.

I'm surprised that so many Rockets fans dislike Clanton, but up until a couple weeks ago I'd been working from home and not listening to the radio so I can't really judge the Adam/Lance morning show.

Matt Thomas is easily my favorite on any station, I think he's hilarious. I enjoy Charlie P as well, but he definitely enjoys hearing himself speak.

#475 seclusion, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

610 has gotten leaps and bounds better but their morning show is ****. I don't care for John lopez.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's the issue I have, on every show they have at least 1 guy I can't stand listening to. I don't have that issue at all on 790. (other than Mohr, but he's a national guy. Also, I don't dislike him I just don't care about national talk)

John Lopez is annoying
    Mike Meltzer is annoying
    Rich Lord is incredibly ****ing annoying.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lopez sucks, but Nick is pretty good, both from a sports point of view and from an entertainment point of view. Lopez barely talks anyways, he's the b**** in the relationship.

Meltzer's voice might not be amazing, but his content and knowledge is pretty solid.

Triple threat cant hang with Charlie.

19. RMGEEGEE

Ah, I completely miss Matt Thomas' hours. The few times I have heard him were enjoyable as he is a lot funnier than Charlie.

Anyone else think Matt Thomas and Charlie P. Sound almost identical?

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Come on! No way! Matt's voice is so soothing and filled with dulcet tones. Charlie's voice is shrill by comparison!