1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Shabazz Napier isn't in the top 10 in this draft, then maybe some scouts need to reevaluate their

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by what, Apr 5, 2014.

1. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

Scouts usually don't rank 4 year players high up the board because they generally think that their ceiling has nearly peaked. Most cases it is true and very well likely will be true for him if they believe that and teams will consider that because most 4 year starter play well college ball their senior year.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

not sure if napair or monta ellis

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

[​IMG]

dante says hi

4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Hmmm, I love Shabazz! But I can't think of a more random comparison than Bradley Beal... I imagine you probably have a preconceived notion on Beal and just used this as another opportunity to bash him. Which is fine by the way, I do the same thing with some guys.

As for an actual comparison for Shabazz, Aaron Brooks.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Napier is a good player (but a little undisciplined at times) with nice energy and I like his hustle at both ends of the court. But I think his future is a decent 15-20 min/game rotation player off the bench. A spark plug. Despite his tournament performances I still think he goes in the early-to-mid second round. This draft is weak at the PG position.

If Napier was around in the 80s or early 90s, he'd probably get drafted in the mid-first round. But today's NBA is different.

7. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Not impressed with a senior who doesn't do much of anything exceptionally and also pushes his teammates around and b****es when things get tight.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That was a big baloney sammich, my household agrees.

9. spysta

spysta Member

Does anybody think Napier can be a starting point guard in the NBA??

I do, dude is a pure point guard and floor general. All the measurables and other stuff aside, dude has high basketball intellect a deadly range shooter and extreme composure under pressure. Top 10 PG potential.

He doesnt push his teammates around, i pushes players into proper position on defense and yesterday he push boatright into the right position so they can run the play they were suppose to. Boatright was running to the corner when he was suppose to be the primary ballhandler.

10. spysta

spysta Member

11. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shabazz Napier is #46 right now in the mock draft at Draftexpress. There is NO WAY he is that low. It just doesn't fit. This is the same reason why Chandler Parsons dropped so low.

1) Napier averaged 5.9 rebounds this year. He is athletic. You could see how high he jumps and he quick he was in the championship game.

2) Napier averaged 1.8 steals this year and 1.6 steals or above in all 4 years. He can play at least average defense in the NBA. His high IQ will help his team defense and rotations.

3) He has extremely high basketball IQ. 4 year player. Floor general.

4) He can shoot. 40.5% on 3s this year and 39.8% on 3s last year.

5) He measured at 6'2 w/ shoes with a 6'4 wingspan. If he is undersized, then it's not by much.

6) He can play in the NBA.

I would pick him mid-late first round for sure.

12. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

Napier reminds me of Monta Ellis.

13. spysta

spysta Member

Where did you get that he measured at 6'2? He looks shorter than 6ft. I agree with your post though

14. yummyhawtsauce

This. admittedly i only watched the final game, so this is what I'm basing him on.

1) I didn't see him make many crazy plays, but I did see some nice passing here and there. He seems to be a score first guard.

2) I like his intensity and willingness to take lead. I thought he was just a street baller who likes to shoot at first, but then I was surprised when he was telling boatright to run the proper play - seems like he has some discipline which impressed me.

3) I think he will score in bunches, probably start off the bench at first to see what he can do (if he even gets the chance)

15. spark06

spark06 Member

I see all the Shabazz haters are hiding now. Not surprised.

16. Willard Decker

So because none of us believe Napier is a lottery pick, it makes us haters? And have you considered that some of us have more important things to do than post on a message board? Not everyone here is fifteen years old.

--Captain Decker

17. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Meh, he is a 4 yr player with little upside. Sure he got hot, but that's March Madness. He is better than Russ Smith, but is he better than Canaan? He will never be Kemba Walker or Monta Ellis (Ha!) and I doubt he will be as good as Jarryd Bayless. Isaiah Thomas is where he wishes he could be, Peyton Siva with a 3 pointer is more likely.

18. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

What do you mean by "sure he got hot, but that's March Madness"? He shot 40.5% from 3 this year and 39.8% from 3 last year. He can shoot it well. Jarryd Bayless is a score first point guard that never had Napier's court awareness and passing abilities. Trey Burke may be a better comparison.

6'1.5 w/ shoes per draftexpress; that's a listing of 6'2 in the NBA

19. Willard Decker

For the love of gawd. Do any of you people think before you post? Trey Burke was the best player in college basketball one year ago and a lottery pick. Napier has nowhere near the lateral quickness or agility that Burke has, nor does he possess Burke's explosiveness in the lane.

Those of you who believe Napier's underrated because of his postseason run need to think about the following: when was the last time a player projected as a second-round pick managed to significantly boost his stock by winning a National Championship?

--Captain Decker

20. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

"For the love of gawd." Trey Burke was the 9th pick in one of the weakest drafts of all time. Adam Morrison was one of the best college basketball players a few years ago. Do you actually think before you post? No. Do you try to think about what others may be saying before posting? No.

For your next point, you'll have to wait until the combine to compare. Just from game tape it's difficult to tell, but you know that Napier is a very, very good athlete. I mean, he gets 6 rebs per game as a PG. He is quick enough for my taste at the NBA level. Comparing him to Trey Burke doesn't mean they have the exact same quickness/athletic abilities. They play a very similar style of basketball. They try to get their teammates involved and take over at times as well. Both shot well, dished well, and defended well, even though Napier is a worse 2 pt shooter and better 3 pt shooter.

I did not say that he is meant to be picked in the lottery like the OP, but I do know that he is an underrated player due to him being a 4 year player. I think that a mid-late first round grade for him is fair, depending on how well he tests at the combine.