1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) Sampson to become University of Houston Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

If true that's so selfish. But I guess in today's world thats what you have to be. Look at Wade Phillips now...declined interviews two years ago and now he has no job and not a single damn interview.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sampson is going to hold Paulstk back

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

a. being a D-1 head coach is a bigger and better opportunity than a NBA assistant coach
    b. it probably pays more money as well
    c. added bonus that he does NOT have to relocate his family

It seems to me that A and B both apply

4. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Is he getting paid more? I guess we don't know.

Is a college head coach better than NBA first assistant coach? Why is that? Personally, I don't think so.

Anyways, he's leaving. Hopefully there is limited impact on Rockets.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Anyone know how much he'd be getting paid? I read that Tony Levine only gets 250K, but there is no way Sampson would settle for that amount. I imagine a coach of his caliber got paid more than 250K in the NBA.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that a Texas school would pay their basketball coach more than their football coach.

Who cares, lol

GO COOGS!!!

6. torocan

torocan Member

The better College head coaches get paid WAY more than the best NBA assistant coaches.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaab/coach/

Coach K. - $9.6M/year

http://www.therichest.com/sports/ba...ant-coaches-what-they-once-earned-as-players/

So given he's coming from the NBA, it's conceivable that he's making more than his salary on the Rockets.

However, considering that UH is NOT a top flight national basketball program I would expect he's making similar money or at best modestly more considering Dickey was only making $250,840.

https://www.texastribune.org/librar...loyee-salaries/titles/head-coach/2938/?page=1

1 person likes this.
  7. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I hope so! Let's go!

AAC! AAC! AAC!

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Damn I had no idea Coach K made 9 mill a year. That's insane. That's more than what any assistant coach AND head coach in the NBA makes.

Doc Rivers makes 7 mill and Greg Pop makes 6 mill.

As for Sampson taking the job, my first guess is stability. He likes Houston and wants to stay here. He seems like a low key type of guy and Houston is a low key city with cheap housing.

9. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

He will leave the Rockets after today's game

10. TISNF

TISNF Member

Great move for Sampson and UH.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

holy cow what a dumb post. does someone haev a jump to conclusions mat handy?

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He did leave abruptly don't you think?

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>McHale on assistant Sampson, soon to be new UH coach: &quot;He’s had success wherever he’s been. We’ll all miss him. He’s been a great addition.”</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/451478480560336896">April 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kelvin Sampson would not comment. This will be his last game with the Rockets. (He will be back, however. He is a Canadian NT assitant.)</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/451478704578101251">April 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#53 J.R., Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  14. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Wouldn't it be funny if the Rockets replaced him, got better on defence and then went and won the title? He'd miss out on that ring :)

15. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Homerun hire for the Coogs. Wow.

16. DreamRoxCoogFan

Thrilled with this hire for UH. GO COOGS!

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Very odd that he would leave midseason. I know there is a lot of recruiting to be done but it seems premature to not just wait for the end of this run. He could miss out on a ring.

18. langal

langal Contributing Member

thibodeau takes old job back?

19. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Let's be real. The team isnt a title contender yet

20. torocan

torocan Member

It's probably a timing thing.

I suspect he was operating on UH's timeline, and that if he didn't nail the job down now he might miss the opportunity for next season.

I have no doubt that McHale and Morey were kept informed. Hopefully the transition doesn't cause any blips on the team.