1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've Seen Enough - Canaan Should Start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden. He's -17.
    Great logic!

2. subzor

subzor Member

0-4 spotting up 3s

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Canaan's on the ball defense, and the way he moves his feet gives me hope. The shot selection was something that was a concern that I talked about back in November after his first few RGV games, but that will get better with the hammer coming down from McHale.

The Rockets offense was disjointed tonight and they really struggled scoring in the paint with the surprisingly great defense from Brooklyn without their two main bigs.

Canaan wasn't my concern tonight. He's a 2nd rounder rookie PG. This is who he is going to be his first year in the league, but he has tools that give me hope for the FUTURE.

My concern is mostly with the starting PG in his 4th season getting paid 8 mil+ a year. Harden can only facilitate the offense so much before the other team forces him to give the ball up to the much less effective players.

Canaan doesn't deserve to start by any stretch, but the coaches need to do something to get Lin to be effective, and if that means putting him back in the 6th man role, and starting Canaan, so-be-it.

4. hollywoodMarine

I'm an LOF. But I can see why LOF's can have a bad rep on this site. Old Man Rock said nothing disrespectful about Lin, just saying matter of factly what situation is a better fit for Lin AND for the Rockets. He even made it clear he wasn't trying to say Lin is a joke.. his post did not warrant this kind of response.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'd much rather prefer AB was still here but Cannan only has like an hr of NBA experience under his belt.

6. Clarinetmonster

Most don't even read the actual post when the thread title is already so divisive.

7. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Please repeat to yourself:

Never use +/- for anything less than a season!!!

...Let alone 1 game! FOOL!

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a bad thread for being insensitive to LOF'ers. Its' a bad thread because Canaan isn't ready to be getting late-season minutes. He's pretty clueless out on the floor. Lin, for all his flaws...and there are many for sure....is still far better than Canaan. That's not praise for Lin, it's a knock on Canaan.

9. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

This.

Praising or criticizing Lin, sometimes people completely forget about basketball. What exactly has Canaan proven to start on a 4th seed Western playoff team? Just because Lin could be frustrating? The dude started 82 games last season. Didn't McHale and everyone praise how much Lin has improved over the Summer?

You can always argue whether Lin has hit his ceiling, or how much he should get paid, or how he should be traded for bad contract and draft picks. But Cannan starting over Lin? SMH.

10. moreyonlyfan

moreyonlyfan Member

Or alternatively, the immense, absolutely insane amount of attention focused on Jeremy magnifies his good games and also magnifies his bad games, and makes it seem like his level of play varies a lot when in fact it doesn't.

I've went through PER and several other performance ratings of Lin and compared it to other plays on the team, and when I do some aggregate calculations I actually see slightly less variance (more consistency) for him than for all the starters except Chandler Parsons, even after controlling for minutes played.

11. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

C'mon!!! Stop being so gullible!

No-one suggesting Canaan should start over Lin was being serious.
    If they were, its not worth having a basketball conversation with them anyways.

12. Clarinetmonster

Yes clearly the OP was not serious when he said:

'You can call this knee jerk and with such a small sample size I won’t disagree. But I've seen enough to beleive Canaan should start over Lin'

Misspelling of believe aside, that sentence is clearly serious.

13. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

14. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

He also said you can call it knee-jerk. That knee-jerk was a hell of a big one... ONE GAME in which Canaan played like 10min. So he was giving himself a big out even before making his serious statement.

Look. I love Old Man Rock and his posts usually. In fact, I don't know who was leading the charge to recruit Dwight more on this board, me or him. We backed each other up with a lot of logical arguments as to why Houston was the best choice for Dwight... some of which ended up in the Rocket's pitch... BUT on this occassion, saying that the underdone rookie Canaan should start over Lin... Well GTFOH you cant be serious. Even McHale of all people started Lin... and that says a lot.

1 person likes this.
  15. torocan

torocan Member

Shhhh.... that sort of rational analysis doesn't always go over well with some folks here. They've "seen" enough...

16. jocar

jocar Member

1 good game, "Knee jerk!"
    1 bad game, "It's ok, we all make mistakes!"

Duh! We need one more game to break the tie! THEN, after the Raptors game, we can justifiably crown PG king (or legally execute) Canaan. His future depends on tomorrow.

17. mig0s

mig0s Member

Rofl i can tell you dont know **** about basketball when you use +/- on one game to blame someone for a loss. According to your logic, Harden is -17 so he lost us the game right?

18. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Oh look. You just dont get it. Your logical investigation and analysis is not going to get you far in the GARM. You're likely to get labelled...

A STUPID LOF

19. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

But... but ... but, the numbers are clear!

20. mig0s

mig0s Member

Its crazy how Cannan can go 1-8 and people are still saying he's better and willing to start a rookie over Lin with a few games left in the regular season.