1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy book series recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arno_ed, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'd recommend The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

2. joepu

joepu Member

Thanks. I checked it out. Very well written book but not quite to my taste. I also took a look at her alaric the minstrel books and these I liked a lot of more.

3. deedee82

deedee82 Member

Pretty surprised too, this is one of the best series ever and still growing.

The first trilogy was enough to keep me going back to every other book in the series.

Defintely a must have.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Myth-Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve by Robert Asprin (easy read, funny)
    The Mithgar books by Dennis L. McKeirnan (note that the publishing dates do not put the books in chronological order, also it may bring to mind LOTR, because he wrote the Silver Call duology as a sequel to LOTR)
    The Tyrants and Kings trilogy by John Marco (I didn't like the Bronze Knight series as well, but it was okay)

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Abercrombie is overrated. Good startup but overall the First Law trilogy was sloppy, underwhelming, and kind of pointless in the end because of what he did with the story.

Somebody already mentioned but I think the least annoying recent series for ,e was Mistborn. I thought it was well written, an interesting premise, and didn't really give me too many, "well that was stupid" moments.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

There is a book called the Amber series. Cool that is the name of my daughter, I should check it out.

the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy is a nice series. During the first book a couple of passage are a bit boring (the tunnel scene), but in general a nice book to read.

Wheel of Time is great, after MBoTF my favourite series. IN the middle there are a couple of books which were less nice, but still better than most other books. You just have to not mind a bit of complaining/nagging by woman (Robert Jordan really does not have a positive view on woman).

I started reading when I was 20, my girlfriend introduced my to this genre. I still like it a lot.

:(:(:( That is just mean:(:(:(
    I still haven't watched the final, During that match I was in a plane on my way to Madagascar for my honeymoon, the plane was delayed so i missed the entire match.

I started it but I didn't like it, it was also to simplistic (like dragonlance series, but I liked dragonlance a lot better).

I have read all the books in this world so far. I'm waiting for the second book of the Kharkanas series.

I'm not fond of Esslemonts writing, I just do not like how he portrays the characters (I hate Kyle, and did not like how he handled Iron Bars). I will read his book on Assail because I want to know what happens, but none of his books have impressed me so far.

I’m actually afraid that the first law will have a disappointing ending. I’ve almost finished the second book. It is nice enough to keep reading, but nothing special.

The mistborn is on my list, but IIRC some books are not translated to Dutch yet (and my wife prefers books in Dutch).

1 person likes this.
  7. arno_ed

This is one book right? Not a series. I prefer series to stand alone books.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If you cant dig the Discworld series, then you dont appreciate good humorous fantasy.

Also second the Myth series, and the Shannarra stuff. (Weak DH?? come on man, Terry Brooks is awesome)

I enjoyed some of Anthony's fantasy stuff when I was younger, not as much these days, but YMMV.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

A song of ove and fire. Crack on paper. No joke.

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I used to think ASOIAF books were the bee's knees. The Philosopher's Stone and Game of Thrones had both been released within months of each other. I knew then that these two authors were gonna be BIG. Then I waited 11 years to read GRRM's Book 4 and 5, and they were horrible. Sadly, only Rowling finished strongly. No one I know has high hopes for Book 6. GRRM lost control of his story most say.

Still, I love that the show has introduced books to a new generation of people that normally would never have read the fantasy genre (not referring to you). I was talking to someone who works at Half Price books and she kept saying bringing up how non-geeky/nerdy/dorky people were coming in solely for these books. It goes to show the power of TV and popularity. However, there are better fantasy books out there imo.

The Kingkiller Chronicle, the Wheel of Time, Farseer Trilogy, and the Chronicles of Amber should be next on your list.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Feast for Crows was an abomination. No reason for GRRM to spend 1000 pgs writing all that crap. Dance with Dragons? Not so bad imo.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Another series I forgot to mention was the Belgariad, by David Eddings.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Seconded

14. mikus

mikus Member

That's taking it back to the old skool! :cool:

While we're on memory lane(or Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Lane), how about the Riftwar saga by Raymond Feist.

15. arno_ed

The riftwar saga was the first series I read, I liked it at the time. However, some years later, when I tried to read other books by Feist I found them to simplistic.

I read this series and enjoyed it. Have you also read the The Malloreon? Also a nice read. It follows the Belgariad.

I have just finished this series, I really enjoyed it. It was not as complex as MBotF or WoT. But it was a great read. I understand Jordans wife asked Sanderson to finish his series.

I will read more of Sanderson when he publishes new books.

I will now start the Shadowmarch series by Tad Williams. I just found out I already had a copy.

16. Raven

Raven Member

There are three of them, the first two written close together, the third written many years later. The first two books may be found as an omnibus.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/e/phyllis-eisenstein/

That site, is awesome, btw, very helpful in sorting out and tracking down oop books.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This, one of the best series I've ever read. Kinda long and sometimes a little vulgar but very good.

18. arno_ed

"Sword of truth" Vulgar? I must have missed that part. Have your read "Song of ice and fire" or "the first law"?

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not in language but sexual content, and it didn't bother me but I know some people don't like that. It's not til u get to the later books though.
    I have not read those, are they similar?

20. arno_ed

They are much much worse in the sexual content (especially SoIaF). They are for a more mature audience than Sword of truth.