1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets made trade deadline bid for Lowry who wishes he did things differently in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Mar 19, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Is there anyone the Rockets did not make a play for at the deadline? Except Kobe of course.

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

So Lowry, who had success before being demoted to backup point guard in Houston, was unable to function with McHale at all and had to leave Houston before finding success, then, if Lin is able to have success before being demoted to backup point guard in Houston and still function with McHale, imagine how good Lin will be after leaving Houston.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lins marketing would prob pay that off.

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Lowry is ready to win! Let's trade Lin and Canaan and bring back Brooks and Lowry. Lowry/Beverley/Brooks as a PG rotation sounds pretty good. Trade Brooks at the deadline for future picks. Wash, rinse, repeat.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

100% Morey offered Lin as the centerpiece of the deal. Could have been something bigger even like Lin/Asik for Lowry/Amir Johnson.

Lowry is just a winner, he does everything you need him to do. D up, get rebounds, steals, score, assists etc.

I doubt Lowry will sign with us because Toronto will offer him more $$$.

6. Fantasma Negro

He'll be a free agent this summer but I think he'll be too expensive. But even if he isn't, the rockets fans will never be satisfied with our starting pg. Never have, never will

7. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

You forget about Kenny Smith?

8. Fantasma Negro

No, I remember when ppl said his rookie backup was better. Everyone complained about how much more talented his backup was until his backup took the starting job. You might know him, Sam Cassell

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Man, Lowry was my favorite player when he was on the Rockets.. I would LOVE to see him back with the team.

10. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

finding a way to add lowry in FA would be such a huge boon for this team. There'd be a defensive upgrade (Lowry is equally tenacious when compared to Beverley, but has better footwork and speed, and hand-checks less), and offensively Beverley isn't even in his zip code. It also gives us another rebounder, something this team desperately needs.

Lowry has played at an all-star level all of this season, and the last season he was healthy and played full-time minutes he did the same. It would require (a) him being cool with taking less than what TOR can offer, and (b) us cutting some guys and Morey selling Lin for pennies on the dollar (which will be an incredibly difficult task given his balloon payment he's due). If morey can get this done, though, i think we'd easily be a favorite to win the west next year

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Goddamit we'd be on another level with Lowry. COME BACK!

12. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

I wonder if Lowry would take less to play with Howard, Harden and Melo..

Howard
    Jones
    Melo
    Harden
    Lowry

= Dynasty

13. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

You're always gonna have some folks clamoring for the backup, but I don't think it's fair to say everyone or the majority of Rockets faithful were dissatisfied with Kenny at the point.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

His contract was already a massive bargain below market value. not so sure he'd take a paycut given he's been underpaid for so long

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

If we get Lowry back, no need for a 3rd star

Lowry/Bev> 3rd star

16. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I would've been the happiest little girl in the world.

17. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

To clarify, I don't see Toronto agreeing to a trade for Lowry (including Lin). It makes no sense, he probably doesn't fit in with their guard rotation. They'd be better off fishing for a different free agent. They could also trade Amir Johnson for a point guard, and get back someone better than Lin. Morey's task will be to find a team under the cap that struggles on offense. Philly is a possibility, inasmuch as their salary doesn't even come close to the salary floor. They have MCW, but could take a flyer on Lin as a backup & see if they can flip him at the deadline as a big expiring contract in exchange for maybe two 2nd rounders. Atlanta also makes a little sense, or Minnesota, though i'm not that familiar with their cap situation.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

19. Fantasma Negro

Had good reason for a while too, we had a lot of bums run point for this team Matt Bologna, Moochie Norris, Rod Strickland, Tyronne Lue, Reece Gaines, Skip. Ppl still want Bob Sura back LoL. I like Beverley and Lin. I'm tired of the pg merry go round. Let these guys grow into their position. Mike James to Skip to Brooks to Lowry to Dragon to Lin to Beverley in seven years. How long has Chris Paul been in the league? Just realized we've never had generational pg smh

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man I would love to have Lowry on this team. Brings offense and defense, plus can hit the 3 ball. I just wonder how comfortable he'd be with Harden handling the ball all the time - or maybe this is an excellent opportunity to let Harden play off the ball a little more.

There was a time last season when you wouldn't trade Jeremy Lin for Kyle Lowry, but things have changed. Lin has been in a bit of a slump, while Lowry has been lighting it up. For all the marketing $$$'s that Lin could bring Toronto (especially being a Canadian team), Lowry's value is much higher right now.

OTOH I think the Raptors want to get younger. I think they might accept something like Lin, Motiejunas and a 2nd rounder for Lowry and Novak. That would end our 2015 FA pursuit, but who cares? We upgrade our shooting, we get our 3rd star (which IMO Lowry can comfortably fill those shoes), we still have Asik as a trading chip or awesome bench player, and our depth is incredible. We get a bit older and more expensive, but that's what we need to contend right?

All we would need really is to shore up the PF spot through the FA market and we're as good as anyone.

Why would Toronto make such a deal? Well I think it doesn't hurt their long term cap flexibility, they get younger, Lin and Motie both can flourish on a younger team with minutes up for grabs, I bet Lin generates tremendous revenue playing in Canada, and I think that their team is not close enough to contending to keep a 29 year old 2nd tier star on the books for big bucks long term. If they want to keep him, they hold all the cards, and Lowry is certainly not in the right place in his career to force a trade from his team. Given the market, it's quite possible that Lowry's market value is significantly lower than his real value this summer. We'll see.