1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Primary Elections

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What would it take for that to happen?

Rocket River
    sounds doubtful

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

A majority of senators would have vote to strip him of his powers. The ironic part is that Patrick was the one who started calling for this because he wanted to kill Dewhurst's power and I'm willing to suspect that the Senate would turn around and do it to Patrick. Patrick doesn't have a ton of goodwill anymore in the Senate. You'd then have a Republican majority leader run the Senate instead of the Lieutenant Governor.

If Patrick reaches out to Republicans and promises to play nice, they probably won't do it but all it takes is a handful of Republicans and Democrats to kill Patrick's powers. This could definitely be Tom Craddick part 2 (Tom Craddick was the speaker of the house that got tossed out of power because a group of Dems and Republicans teamed up to vote in a new speaker) It's not unprecedented in Texas for these types of things to happen.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This move would seriously change the landscape of Texas Politics . .. would it not?

Lt Governor has often been a very powerful position.

Rocket River

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The Senate is different than the house for 2 reasons. First is the lieutenant governor and second is the 2/3 rule. Both are under threat this session.

If Patrick gets to keep his powers, the 2/3 rule is toast. (Currently 2/3 of the Senate is required to consent to bringing up legislation in the Senate which essentially gives Democrats veto power on bills during the regular session) Patrick has been calling for ending the 2/3 rule for years and as Lieutenant Governor, that would be his first move.

That is unless the Senate strips him of his power which is also a possibility. Alternatively the Senate could strip him of his power and kill the 2/3 rule. We're moving into dangerous territory with the Senate. The Senate was the only thing from keeping Texas from true one party rule. The Lieutenant Governor has historically appointed Democrats to committee chairmanships even when they've been the minority. (Joe Straus, the speaker of the house, has also done the same in the House but that's only because Democrats are the reason why he even has a job) If Patrick becomes Lieutenant Governor, he'll kill every chairmanship that Democrats have. And he'll also move to end the 2/3 rule.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have to ask this of my Republican friends...

ARE YOU ****ING INSANE? DAN PATRICK?

6. Mattj

Mattj Member

I NEVER venture into politics, but I whole heartedly agree with this.

I encourage people voting to do better research before May. Dan Patrick has never been a friend to Houston's interests. It's the equivalent of Democrats selecting Quannel X to run for Lieutenant governor. I am as fiscally conservative as they come, but the important business that the state needs to undertake will never be addressed when narrowcasted social platforms create an impossibly hostile atmosphere and devalue the positive suggestions one may have about the economy, education, and energy.

I usually care less about politics, but Patrick is a Rush Limbaugh wannabe that is excellent at stirring a hornets nest of a vocal minority and calling them to action to vote. This is as dumb as California electing "The Terminator" IMO. I will now get off my soap box, but I just had to get that off my chest.

7. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Sweet DP's prime legislation was adding "In God We Trust" and "Under God" to our capital and state seal...talk about helping the people.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dan Patrick is people, too. It helped Dan Patrick.

9. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

We better consult Ted Nugent before we confirm that. He could be a subhuman mongrel.

1 person likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked Dan Patrick when he was on ESPN.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Tea Party triumphs down-ballot in Texas

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Republicans of intelligence would rather twiddle their thumbs while a minority of their party elects their candidates in the primaries, it's on them. When someone like Patrick becomes Lt. Governor, and does what he can to pass radical, extremist legislation totally out of the political mainstream of average Americans, the consequences rest entirely on their shoulders. The shoulders of Republicans who couldn't be bothered to vote.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

... not to mention all the other residents of Texas who have to live with it regardless of whether they were complicit in his election. You can say it's Republicans' fault, but if Patrick wins the Republican primary run-off he's still going to be your Lt. Governor.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What is your point, JV? The reason this upsets me is exactly that... Patrick would be my Lt. Governor, whether I want him or not, and I certainly don't. Are you suggesting that I vote in the Republican primary to "take up the slack" for otherwise "sane" Republicans too lazy to vote?

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I read something this week about a plan in the State Senate that could reduce the power of the Lt. Governor if (when) Patrick is elected.

Couldn't google today though, anybody remember where that was?

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Republicans of intelligence didn't all twiddle their thumbs, but unfortunately there were just too many people who don't know how crazy right wing Dan Patrick is. I voted for Staples, but I knew he had no chance at a runoff. Not sure I'll even place a vote for LT come November.

Also, it isn't just the R's who don't vote in primaries, it's people in general. The D's had a weaker turnout with Davis and VDP on the ballot than they did with Bill White on the top of the ticket!

As for the Senate stripping Patrick of the committee appointment power, not happening. D's would need 16 votes total to do so and their biggest ally in Carona just lost to Huffines. So geeimsobored, I wouldn't make that bet.

I don't think DP will actually remove ALL D chairs, but Whitmire is out, that's for sure. I've seen those two get into it on numerous occasions.

As for the 2/3rds rule, again, the votes are there to remove it, but hopefully R Leadership will have some sense. They have the majority, they don't need to get rid of the 2/3rds rule. Be as crazy as you want with your bills, but when it's time to actually pass things, bring it back to center and work with the Ds. DP has no desire to work with Ds, but he will find he has no choice if he wants any kind of cooperation. Cooperation far outweighs getting your way. Ds can't stop him, but they can make it a very very rough 4 years.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

They COULD reduce it, as in it's theoretically possible, but it won't happen. Not this (2015) session.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think you should have to, though that's what I did. But, that's not my point. I'm merely objecting to how you conflate consequences and fault.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How is that possible?

Dewhurst was pretty much ruined by Cruz in 2012. He never recovered and probably never will.

This runoff should actually be pretty entertaining. Dewhurst is going to get desperate and Patrick...well, we all know he's a kook. This could be fun to watch.

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

How it possible that people don't know how crazy DP is? Because all they know is how ineffective Dewhurst was during the HB2 debacle. Outside of those who either work in the Leg or keep up with state government, they know he is conservative, that he has a radio station, and that he has hired illegal aliens : ).

Entertaining? I guess so, more like sad, as everyone in the Dewhurst campaign KNOWS they've lost. Yet they have to spend the next 2-3 months acting like they have a fighting chance and it was "the weather" that kept people from the polls. Dewhurst's ONLY chance is to get Staples and Patterson to endorse him...I can all but guarantee Staples won't do so, and I don't think it would help Dewhurst anyways. He's 12 points behind. Unless he has some serious opposition research and is holding something reallllly big, he's toast.

Going into this election I thought it was Dewhursts, because EVENTUALLY DP would say/do something stupid and turn off any moderates considering him. Well, he has held strong thus far, and I bet he limits the opportunity for mistakes before May 27th.