1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. dantian

dantian Member

It all depends on the coach. If the coach has many set plays that feature the off-ball movements like Sloan used to do, there is no reason why Harden wouldn't play the Ray Allen, Klay Thomson, Stockton role.

2. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

The numbers are still UNclear

3. Classic

Classic Member

They're clear. Lin performs best off the bench against the opposing team's 2nd unit--especially if that opponent is a bottom dweller in the east.

He's a great 6th man.

4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

For the Rockets, if Harden starts then yes, Lin should be the 6th man. Lin can also be a great starter for other teams. Don't generalize it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Clarinetmonster

Does great against starters or bench when he plays his game - doesn't really matter. So however the coaches use him, he will be a key cog. End o story.:)

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Pretty much this, he performs well irrespective if its against 1st or 2nd units, alot of it is simply do to with whether or not he's the ball dominant player, but great to see him perform so well tonight with harden on the floor as well.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with most of your posts in this thread, OMR. But I think Deckard is right too, that Clutch tends to hold off airing his opinions on controversial issues, which I can totally understand. I actually think that he stuck his neck out on this one, and I admire him for that.

I don't want to second guess Clutch. I do believe that Clutch is like most of us older posters here, getting tired of some irrational Lin fans bashing Beverley, Harden, and McHale just so to prop up Lin. It's hard to resist clobbering those fans, and a lot of posters do that as anyone can see.

I have been a critic against the "Beverley deserves to start" thing from the beginning. I thought the "fit" theory had some merit but remained skeptical. I simply think it's not that clear that Beverley fits better in the starting role and Lin fits better off the bench. Some people think that it is a foregone conclusion. I think that's biased, partially a reaction to the Lin fans phenomenon.

1 person likes this.
  8. Maikeru

Maikeru Member

Imagine a guard with the strengths of both Bev and Lin. That would be some scary excretion...

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry?

10. WNBA

WNBA Member

that's Rondo.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Lowry would be erring to the side of Beverley and Dragic would be erring to the side of Lin.

12. Stats

Stats Member

Anyone notice Lin ran a lot more this game? A lot of his points/assists/rebounds came off of transition, and not just when the cavs missed. Seems like every time he got anything, he bursted full speed for the cavs basket.

13. Clarinetmonster

Well, they must've made some kind of progress with cloning since the dark days of Dolly the sheep, so....let's get these guys in the lab, stat.:grin:

14. Clarinetmonster

I think the last couple games helped him remember who he is - you know, all the head trauma from the hard fouls is rough on one's memory:)

15. conquistador#11

look at it this way: 17 games so far in this season, where if lin doesn't do what he does, the team loses. Even the Lin Only Detractors would not want to take back any one of those victories. He's had 9* stinkers and 13 average games.
    For the Money he is making, That's a good deal in exchange for contribution to wins.

Eventually, you'd want him to have around 10 stinkers for the entire season, but then that would cost you around 18 mil a year.

*not counting game where he got injured and 1st game back.

16. SunsRocketsfan

I think I know clutches true intentions. Since the posting of this thread lin has been playing well. This is clearly a cleverly disguised anti jinx thread

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Why?:confused::confused:

18. jocar

jocar Member

His attitude looked entirely different.
    I think he had a pep talk with himself or the rest of the team. Whatever it was, let's just hope he keeps it up!

19. Clarinetmonster

Lowry can't get to the rack like Lin and not as creative/entertaining in the open floor (Dragic is more like Lin at these things), so I think that's why he said that - he's also a pretty good defender (Lowry) so hence the erring on the Bev side. Of course, he's a better 3pt shooter than either, so why don't we just combine all 4 of them.:)

1 person likes this.
  20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

haha you got it!